1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums Ė General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Ricketts
  • 1 Post By VelosterT
  • 2 Post By jkt1954

Thread: Is the Veloster really that slow?

Is the Veloster really that slow?

New member here interested in purchasing a Veloster. Iíve been reading reviews from all over and everyone seems to comment that the non-turbo Veloster is slow. Iím currently driving a 2014 Accent. Itís basically the same engine, although it puts out 138 hp vs. the Veloster 132. Iím guessing the exhaust on the Veloster is probably wrapped a bit tighter, causing a little drop in hp. I have to say that my Accent is by no means a rocket, but Iíve never really felt too slow either. Even the reviews on the car comment that it has good pickup. So my question is, how could that be? I canít imagine the Veloster being so much heavier that 6 less hp would make a dramatic difference? Is it that people expect it to feel faster just because of the looks of it? I love my Accent. I have a 100 mile commute each day and it rides with no complaints and good mpg. My problem is when I walk out to the parking lot and I see it sitting there. Even with nice ri s, fog lights, and a spoiler on the back...itís still an Accent. Sigh. I drive by a car lot everyday and Iíve noticed a blue 2017 Veloster with black rims. Iíve looked into the numbers, and I think I could afford it. Iím willing to give up a few mpgs and accept a bit rougher ride if it gives the joy of walking out to the parking lot and seeing that beautiful design. Iím just afraid if I will send the loss of the little power Iím used to. Is it all in the mind or is it truly in the engine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I'm coming from a 100hp Saturn, so even with the Veloster's extra weight I've been happy with my NAV. Of course some times it would be nice to have some extra hp, but the Saturn trained me to be more aware of traffic and plan ahead for a good passing maneuver or entry into traffic. So maybe I'm biased a bit. Plus less parts to fail

Definitely take it for a test drive though
    Energized, Puppetz and lil_buddy like this.
    2012 Vitamin C Veloster - manual
    1996 Mazda Miata MX5 - manual
    2000 Saturn SC1 - manual
    2002 Ford Ranger - automatic, because my ex couldn't learn to drive a stick

Driving in the wilds of Northwestern Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Honday2019 View Post
    New member here interested in purchasing a Veloster. I’ve been reading reviews from all over and everyone seems to comment that the non-turbo Veloster is slow. I’m currently driving a 2014 Accent. It’s basically the same engine, although it puts out 138 hp vs. the Veloster 132. I’m guessing the exhaust on the Veloster is probably wrapped a bit tighter, causing a little drop in hp. I have to say that my Accent is by no means a rocket, but I’ve never really felt too slow either. Even the reviews on the car comment that it has good pickup. So my question is, how could that be? I can’t imagine the Veloster being so much heavier that 6 less hp would make a dramatic difference? Is it that people expect it to feel faster just because of the looks of it? I love my Accent. I have a 100 mile commute each day and it rides with no complaints and good mpg. My problem is when I walk out to the parking lot and I see it sitting there. Even with nice ri s, fog lights, and a spoiler on the back...it’s still an Accent. Sigh. I drive by a car lot everyday and I’ve noticed a blue 2017 Veloster with black rims. I’ve looked into the numbers, and I think I could afford it. I’m willing to give up a few mpgs and accept a bit rougher ride if it gives the joy of walking out to the parking lot and seeing that beautiful design. I’m just afraid if I will send the loss of the little power I’m used to. Is it all in the mind or is it truly in the engine?
    There is a lot of aftermarket companies out there that can transform the non turbo Veloster into a really fun to drive car.
    These forums here have a lot of tech and how to's that will help also.
    Don't be discouraged with it because it's not that fast. Get the stick shift and learn how to heel/ toe down shift to really get the feel of the car and get the best smile for each shift you make.
    My Toyota Paseo was only 100 hp too but man was she a blast to rev everywhere and fun to drive.

Good luck on your decision. 👍

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I have a 2013 Base 1.6 6-speed Manual that I purchased new. The "slowness" is due to wide gear spacing that requires you to rev it up to get any torque - it's not available until you're in the higher rpms, unlike the turbo. I'll bet my "slow" Veloster will still being humming with great gas mileage long after the Turbo editions have had 2 - 3 times as much maintenance and costs - check out the maintenance schedule between the both. Price out a turbo R & R. No problem buzzing up the Grapevine als long as you know to keep it in 4th or 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Honday2019 View Post
    I drive by a car lot everyday and I’ve noticed a blue 2017 Veloster with black rims.
    Just stop in and take her for a test drive. That's the only way to tell if you like it.
    jkt1954 likes this.

I was one of the early buyers in my area when it first came out, in Fall of 2011 I bought a 2012 Base, 6 speed. It was a great car and really nice to drive. Wicked, wicked gas mileage and very comfortable. But yes, it was one of the weakest cars I have ever driven from a horsepower standpoint. I compare it to the many Accents, Elantras, old Civics, a Saturn SC2 and even K cars I used to drive.

As somebody here already mentioned, you have to really get it revving to get any speed at all. Climbing those hills in Utah on the way to Vegas, it was not happy. But it made it, and all the way home too, with no issues. Merging onto highways or Interstates was where I was always wishing for a bit more out of it, but on an open, flat highway, it would just get up over 170kmh if needed. That car had a ton of miles on it, but I still think it was awesome.

I had it up until late last summer, when I traded it on a brand new Turbo. Feels very similar to drive until it makes some boost, and has a few more flashy gadgets.

I recommend a test drive too, I think you will really like the Veloster. Good luck!

Dason

Quote Originally Posted by Featherlessbipe View Post
    I have a 2013 Base 1.6 6-speed Manual that I purchased new. The "slowness" is due to wide gear spacing that requires you to rev it up to get any torque - it's not available until you're in the higher rpms, unlike the turbo. I'll bet my "slow" Veloster will still being humming with great gas mileage long after the Turbo editions have had 2 - 3 times as much maintenance and costs - check out the maintenance schedule between the both. Price out a turbo R & R. No problem buzzing up the Grapevine als long as you know to keep it in 4th or 5th.
    i'd have to disagree on the costs.

the only thing that really changes maintenance wise between the two cars are the spark plugs (turbo 48K vs NAV 100k). belts/brakes/tires/filters ... all replace at the same time.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!
    TK.COM CAI/catback - Nameless poly motor mount - BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - CF filler cap
    Hawk ceramic pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar

2001 Emerald Green Metallic Kia Rio Manual
    Overhauled suspension - H&R springs - 1Gb control arms / torsion rods

A6D 1.6L DOHC swap complete! - new hubs/knuckles/brakes next.

I think for legally whipping something around a few backroads, a N/A Veloster is adequate. It's hard to find a balance between efficiency and performance which is why I am garaging my 2012 Regal GS and making my Veloster a daily driver. I get the sensation of speed and handling at the same time getting 15 or more mpg than the Regal.

If you're coming from a better performing car, you do have to give yourself more time for merges and entering highways. I have been catching myself not giving the Veloster as much throttle as I needed because I am used to the boost coming in on the Regal. Now, it is all about building RPMs.
    2012 Buick Regal GS 6spd Manual
    2012 Hyundai Veloster Basic 6spd
    2009 Ford Exploder XLT

Like Rare Snake, an early adapter of the Veloster and it super sluggish! And I was coming from a very zippy Nissan Versa! There were a couple of software updates that greatly improve the sluggishness but still it is slow in the first two gears compared to other cars. Heading toward 8 years in October, so I guess it isn't all that bad!
    Uffda and oni888 like this.
    ​APRIL 2017 VOTM
    2012 Ironman Silver, Style and Tech, purchased 10-17-2011
    Born on date: 08-22-2011
    Hyundai USA recall/service bulletins by VIN: https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome
    Join Google Fi get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/JX91JH 6-15 GB data fixed $60/mo
    https://www.hyundaimpgclasssettlement.com
    2nd Gen/2019 Veloster forum: https://www.veloster.org/forum/177-second-generation/

i was amazed at how incredibly slow this car is. almost felt like we needed our heads examined for wanting to buy it but dont care in the least.....wife and i love the thing!

I always say don't be fooled, it's a turtle.

Even looks like one.

Reason it's so slow is that the car has no torque whatsoever until you get it into the top of the rev range...

...and if you are in the DCT, there's no launch mode, it always rolls out the clutch at 1200, so that means ugly starts no matter what.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements