1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

View Poll Results: Which synthetic oil is best?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mobil1

81 48.50%
  • Quaker State

10 5.99%
  • Royal Purple

19 11.38%
  • Red Line

4 2.40%
  • Amsoil

27 16.17%
  • Other...please specify in post.

26 15.57%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Which Synthetic Oil to use?

Which Synthetic Oil to use?

Hey guys,

Got 800 miles on my Veloster right now and looking into putting some synthetic in on the next oil change. Do they use regular oil in our cars from the factory?

I have used Mobil1 Syn with good results, but wanted to hear opinions of any of the other brands (Quaker, RoyalP, Redline, etc.). Does one protect better or do better when tuning the car (since that is my plan a little at a time)?

Also, is it ok to wait until 3k for a syn change or would the 1k mile'ish mark be better. Thanks for the help!

-Rob
    2012 Electrolyte Green DCT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Although it doesn't address your inquiry, my answer is: Motorcraft 5W-20 Syn Blend, a very fine oil by ConocoPhillips that turns in excellent UOAs for 5-8K OCIs and I can use the same oil in all three of my vehicles calling for 5W-20 (2 Fords & the Vster).

Can I minus vote something? I would minus 1000 Royal Purple. Waste of money.
    Here's my new Blog:

http://drivegeek.wordpress.com

The goal of this blog is to put my impressions and any other information needed to make a proper decision about a car BEFORE you buy it. I'm not reviewing the techy stuff, just how the car does as being it's primary purpose...a car. I will also post negative information about cars from real owners, not some car magazine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I think our Amsoil vendor might take offense to the poll options.

That's what I run in my bike and will probably use it in my car.
    reiver likes this.
    Triathalon Grey/Manual/Tech named Oliver

One of the 3,000.

Why isn't Valvoline in the list?

I've only used Mobile 1 and can't complain so far. Haven't tried any other brands.

There's not enough poll options, otherwise I would have added ams or valve. Hopefully they'll be alright heh. I only put the ones on the poll I knew right off hand. I just want to know what folks are using or have used. Thanks for all the input so far.

Just talked with a tech at the dealership I bought mine from and he said whatever I do to make sure I use the oem filter otherwise the 1.6 will make some type of tick sound. Said something about it being one of the only ones to pressurize return correctly/work well in the car. Didn't get the specifics on it, but sounded interesting and good to know.

Probably going to step it up to a 5w-30 either way. I know the 5-20 is great for gas miles, but think the 30 would do better while racing and in GA summer heat.

Which type from valve or ams are good (type wise)?

MTD
    Ive used Amsoil in the past and my Si liked it. Now in my Genesis, usually Mobile1. Now that we have an Amsoil Vendor I will be going back.
    '13 Genesis Coupe 3.8
    '15 TLX SH-AWD

This is like asking which ice cream is better.

Everyone has their opinions. I just look at the new oil analysis and the used analysis on Bob Is The Oil Guy and make my decision from there.

Based on that, Quaker State Full Synthetic for me over M1 hands down. Not that there is anything wrong with M1 (I run it in my Lexus). I bet if you took 2 of the exact same car and ran one with M1 and the other with QS Synth and drove them the same, they would last equally as long.
    Here's my new Blog:

The goal of this blog is to put my impressions and any other information needed to make a proper decision about a car BEFORE you buy it. I'm not reviewing the techy stuff, just how the car does as being it's primary purpose...a car. I will also post negative information about cars from real owners, not some car magazine.

Pennzoil Platinum is pretty cheap where I live, that's what I'm going to be using.
    I'm usually a Castrol or Rotella guy, but a 5qt jug of PP is like $30 and Edge is like $10/qt.
    veloster 535 likes this.
    Stop PM'ing me, I already answered all your questions.

Well.. I mean Mayfield is better than all others hands down. So figure it's a decent question to ask about oils.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to check out the Quaker and Pennz ones y'all are talking about, haven't used either before.

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    ...I bet if you took 2 of the exact same car and ran one with M1 and the other with QS Synth and drove them the same, they would last equally as long.
    Likely one of the most valid statements on this or any other forum, including BITOG where it is often reiterated.

And, it's likely that any modern engine will outlast the owners when maintained with any specified oil at proper intervals.

I am a little interested in why AMSOIL wasn't put into the poll. but as for which is the better oil. It comes down to what is most important to you? Cost, Environment, Protection, Performance?

Quote Originally Posted by XanRules View Post
    Pennzoil Platinum is pretty cheap where I live, that's what I'm going to be using.
    I'm usually a Castrol or Rotella guy, but a 5qt jug of PP is like $30 and Edge is like $10/qt.
    Check out the Quaker State Full Synthetic. It's shown to basically be PP with more friction modifiers. I've noticed it's cheaper, until more people start buying it, they will jack the price up. It started out at $17/5 quart jug earlier in the year (when PP was $26) and now it's $25 per jug.
    Here's my new Blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    Check out the Quaker State Full Synthetic. It started out at $17/5 quart jug earlier in the year (when PP was $26) and now it's $25 per jug.
    The price yesterday at my local Walmart was $20.XX/jug. Compared to the rising price of the Motorcraft syn blend which I bought at $17.47, the QSUD looks like a decent buy.

Good price. It's funny that the Motorcraft is coming up in price as it's just a blend. Mind you, it's a very good quality blend, but it's a blend none-the-less. Supply and demand.

Of course, the term "blend" can be relative considering both Motorcraft and the QS are both group III based.
    Here's my new Blog:

I use mobil one...with an OEM filter.
    simpletone likes this.
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!:eek:

So your not going to change the poll to include AMSOIL?

better?
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!:eek:

How does AMSOIL motor oils compare to other motor oils?
    Answer: The importance of good-quality oil in your engine cannot be stressed enough. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils consistently outperform other conventional and synthetic oils in virtually every category of performance, including wear protection, extreme high and low temperature performance, foam control, viscosity retention, rust and corrosion protection, volatility and fuel economy. While other brands may have good performance in a few of these areas, AMSOIL consistently performs at the top in every category. Drivers can have confidence knowing that AMSOIL motor oils provide maximum performance and protection.

Does AMSOIL have a warranty for products?
    Answer: Yes. AMSOIL provides a limited warranty on all AMSOIL lubricants and filters.

What kind of base stocks does AMSOIL use? Are AMSOIL synthetic lubricants PAO-based?
    Answer: AMSOIL maintains formulation details as proprietary and does not divulge specifics regarding the type of synthetic base stocks used in its synthetic lubricants. AMSOIL developed the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972 and has remained the leader in the synthetic lubricant industry by continually researching new technologies and demanding only the highest-quality raw materials. As the company moves forward with new technologies it is increasingly more important that this information remains proprietary. AMSOIL views synthetic base oils the same as it views additives, with each having its own set of unique properties. AMSOIL does not insist on a particular type of base stock, but insists on particular performance parameters. AMSOIL chooses whichever synthetic base stock or combination of base stocks delivers the desired result and tailors its lubricants to be application-specific (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperatures, etc.). At the end of the day, the type of base stock used to formulate the oil is inconsequential; the product’s performance is what matters.

23. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast