1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

View Poll Results: Which synthetic oil is best?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mobil1

81 48.50%
  • Quaker State

10 5.99%
  • Royal Purple

19 11.38%
  • Red Line

4 2.40%
  • Amsoil

27 16.17%
  • Other...please specify in post.

26 15.57%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Which Synthetic Oil to use?

Quote Originally Posted by JGunz18 View Post
    ^^^^Nice!!!

In a nutshell...You get what you pay for. You pay $1.50 for a Quart of oil & you're going to get $1.50's worth of oil. You pay $4-5 for a quart of oil & you will get the same results as my man VTNight did
    Not necessarily this is a theory of restaurants I can find some that charge 15 bucks for Filet Mignon and some that charge 50 for the same 9 oz steak. They all come from a cow, don't care if its' kobe or not.. a cow is a cow is a cow. There is no guarantee where that 50 dollar filet came from either...

So is the 50 dollar assumed to be better simply because of cost? Oil is the same, and since it's derived from by product from fuel, Shell is more expensive than Citgo.. but it's ALL the same fuel, they just put stuff in it after the fact..

Price is not the factor in Oil, Kmart sells a brand of oil, its cheaper.. but read the fine print, they buy that oil from Mobile which is considered one of the better.. we really don't know the source unless we put it under a microscope.

So oil that cost 1.50 is not worse than 4.50 oil that's part of the debate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ATLVT View Post
    Yeah a car should never "consume" oil, it's not eating it.. there is a leak or you have something wrong, period. It's definitely NOT normal.
    Actually, all cars consume oil, especially ones that are FI. That's why you're supposed to check it. There is an acceptable consumption rate.

Quote Originally Posted by ATLVT View Post
    Not necessarily this is a theory of restaurants I can find some that charge 15 bucks for Filet Mignon and some that charge 50 for the same 9 oz steak. They all come from a cow, don't care if its' kobe or not.. a cow is a cow is a cow. There is no guarantee where that 50 dollar filet came from either...

So is the 50 dollar assumed to be better simply because of cost? Oil is the same, and since it's derived from by product from fuel, Shell is more expensive than Citgo.. but it's ALL the same fuel, they just put stuff in it after the fact..

Price is not the factor in Oil, Kmart sells a brand of oil, its cheaper.. but read the fine print, they buy that oil from Mobile which is considered one of the better.. we really don't know the source unless we put it under a microscope.

So oil that cost 1.50 is not worse than 4.50 oil that's part of the debate.
    The fact that you compared the automotive industry to where eateries get their meat from just nullified any sort of credibility you had. Yes, the meat industry has different standards to determine the quality of a cut which in turn determines the cost. Also, higher dollar establishments usually have higher standards for the meat they select to serve to their customers.

ATLVT...your above attempts to temper the debate over motor oils with numerous simplifications ("oil is oil", etc.) runs counter to everything that API certifications and www.pqiamerica.com are attempting to accomplish.
    Drews likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    ATLVT...your above attempts to temper the debate over motor oils with numerous simplifications ("oil is oil", etc.) runs counter to everything that API certifications and www.pqiamerica.com are attempting to accomplish.
    I like you. Can we be friends?

Back on topic...

I use Pennzoil Platinum
    2014 Ultra Black VT MT
    Mara Jade's Build Thread

TurboSocks 3.5" SRI || Pierce VT-One Strut Bar || Whiteline Rear Sway Bar || Eibach Pro Kit || Gen Coupe Wheels || DIY Baffled OCC || IC Res Delete || Shifter Cable Bushings || Rigid Collars || 20% Tint

♫ Ohh to, ohh to be, ohh to be a Gooner!

I use Mobil 1
    I wumbo, you wumbo, he, she, we wumbo. Wumboed, wumboing, wumbology - the study of wumbo

Venus My Goddess Build Thread

About to switch to group 3, Penzzoil Ultra Platinum. And yes, I like my meat med rare from premium grade ;p
    VT/AT 13' Ultra Black Ultimate: INJEN, ExLED, Diode Dynamics, JunBL, SOLO, JCS Pods, Prosport, Billet Tech, ADDW1, Rally Armor, Sickspeed, Continental, MGP, Cerma, Turbosocks, 6thEE, 845 MS, Pierce MS, Tork MS, Titan MS, Nstyle MS, Tippett Auto Designs, Sequence, SoCalGarage, BTR tune.

-Check out my Build, Prologue: A Reaper's Scythe Build

Blacklist[KDM] / Orlando Chapter

Sponsored by:
    6th Element Engineering

^^^Ditto. Being a fan of both SOPUS (Pennzoil gas-to-liquid & Quaker State with HTO-6 specs) and COP (Kendall GT-1 & Motorcraft) products depending on engine and driving requirements, I'll be researching available oil products for a new 2016 2.7TT-engined crossover later this summer. I believe the GDI turbo engine demands a thoughtful selection.

I just noticed... does no one use Castrol Edge?

Use a PAO-based (Group IV) or ester-based (Group V) synthetic oil - There are exceptions, such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, which is a Group III (natural gas) base oil

Other Recommendations:

RedLine 5W-40 or 5W-30 (Ester)

Cerma 5W-40 or 5W-30 (PAO)

Cerma X 5W-40 or 5W-30 (PAO)

AMSOIL Signature 5W-30 (PAO)

Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 or 5W-30 (Ester)

AMSOIL Euro Formula Low-SAPS 5W-30 (non-PAO; they have mid- and high-SAPS formulas, but contribute more non-carbon deposits and wreck catalytic converters)

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 (non-PAO, designed for diesel engines, but low levels of calcium and very good test reports) - this oil is known to foam under race conditions, so avoid if you run your engine to redline for extended sessions.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 (non-PAO) - can be used in a pinch and can be found in nearly all auto parts chains; do not run for more than 3000 miles.
    Incognito likes this.
    2016 VT Elite White 7-Speed DCT Tech Package
    Turbosocks 3.5' SRI | 3' Straight Pipe Catback Exhaust | Res-Delete Pipe | Motors Line Front Strut Bar | XE 3TBS | XE XWEK | XE ORCP | XE XWGS
    | XE XPVS | 60mm TB | HKS M45XL Plugs | TB Bypass | MAP Sensor 39300-84400 | 75A Mounts | PUP 5W-30 | Breather & PCV Venting-to-Atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    I just noticed... does no one use Castrol Edge?
    I use Castrol but I no longer will as my engine builder recommends I use Motul. Engine builder knows best!
    I wumbo, you wumbo, he, she, we wumbo. Wumboed, wumboing, wumbology - the study of wumbo

Venus My Goddess Build Thread

As a guy that's been building and racing a myriad of cars I've found that any good synthetic will work fine as long as you maintain the car.

For my Car I'm presently building I'm using Royal Purple HPS formula and running the factory oil filter until the next oil change where I'll be running the K&N.
    I've also treated the 1.6 Gamma engine with Microlon Cl100 High Performance Engine Treatment Kit for 4-Cylinder Engine and man this stuff is for real.
    It's in advertised and you have to know about it and doing the research on the Microlon can say it does everything it states.
    Fleets use this as well as the trucking industry.

On the K&N filter, what swayed me was seeing Stephan Papadakis using it for his formula Toyota drift car. Anybody knowing Stephan knows this guy knows he's The Godfather of drag and drift and finds solutions to make his cars last.

Other than that any of my builds have been driven to the ground with all going over 250,000 miles with my Hooptie Ford going 331,000 miles.
    All synthetic swaps on oil and all well maintained. 👍😎

Use any oil with a rated SN Plus. SN plus is for turbocharged GDI engines. NAV owners don't need this.

Ultimate Elite White VT A/T • Window Tint: 35% Front 30% Back • Vogue Signature V Tires • OEM Mudguards • Short Ram Intake • Pierce Motorsports VT-ONE Series Chromoly Strutbrace • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust • Turbosocks FMIC • ADD1 BOV BTRcc Custom Tune

밥솥

16. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678