1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nvyseal

Thread: New Veloster owner. Need help with mods 2013

New Veloster owner. Need help with mods 2013

Hey guys, I just got a new veloster non turbo 2013 manual transmission.

I don't have a huge amount of money for upgrades but i wanted to added more boost to this car. Since it is underwhelming.

If you guys can point me in the right direction I would appropriate it. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Welcome Rein22. Would love to see pics of your car. Veloster non Turbos (NAVs) make great autocross cars as they stand. On the street, they have adequate speed and handling for everyday driving, especially equipped with the manual trans. The best thing you can do for your NAV is tightening up your suspension. We have many threads on that, just do a search on braces, strut bars and rigid collars if your car does not already have them.
    Ultimate Elite White VT A/T • Window Tint: 35% Front 30% Back • Vogue Signature V Tires • OEM Mudguards • Short Ram Intake • Pierce Motorsports VT-ONE Series Chromoly Strutbrace • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust • Turbosocks FMIC • ADD1 BOV BTRcc Custom Tune

밥솥

Quote Originally Posted by nvyseal View Post
    Welcome Rein22. Would love to see pics of your car. Veloster non Turbos (NAVs) make great autocross cars as they stand. On the street, they have adequate speed and handling for everyday driving, especially equipped with the manual trans. The best thing you can do for your NAV is tightening up your suspension. We have many threads on that, just do a search on braces, strut bars and rigid collars if your car does not already have them.
    I love the car but it doesn't have any pick up at all. At least to my preference.

I was really looking to get some bolt on kits to increase the Horse power of this little car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quite a few NAV owners also expected this, but the truth of the matter is Hyundai pretty much gave you all the HP the car can handle while keeping it as it is supposed to be, A "Sporty economy car". There are things you can do, but keep in mind, for every action, there is a REaction,

Downpipe, Expect CELs
    Go Catless, Wont pass smog in certain states - lowers resale value
    Tune, Costly and maybe squeeze out 10-15hp, voids warranty, needs higher octane top tier gas, could cause your engine to malfunction

What were you looking to do to increase the HP?
    jkt1954 likes this.
    Ultimate Elite White VT A/T • Window Tint: 35% Front 30% Back • Vogue Signature V Tires • OEM Mudguards • Short Ram Intake • Pierce Motorsports VT-ONE Series Chromoly Strutbrace • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust • Turbosocks FMIC • ADD1 BOV BTRcc Custom Tune

밥솥

The money you would put into it to increase any significant amount of HP would equal just getting the turbo version. I have a 2012 Veloster none turbo stick shift and here is what I did that wasn't too costly and seems to have given it a little more pep. Not sure if its real or imagined but i tell myself its real. Lol.

First thing i did was went out and got a Flowmaster exhaust and had a small local shop cut out the old and put in the new. I measured everything and it was a tight fit but it worked. I had to tell the guy exactly how and where to cut. I wanted it to be perfect. This gives my car a meatier sound when i hit the mid range RPM when gunning it but a almost silent idle. Not one of those noisy rice burner sounds but a good purr and growl when i take off.

2nd - i got a K&N cone short intake with a secondary inline filter of my own design which also helps the car sound better and i can't prove it but i swear it helped compensate for having the ost HP when the AC is on. Lol. 😄

3rd I put in a solid support bar over the front shock/springs. This stiffened the car on turns. There is a quick 90 degree turn i take going to my moms. Got a lot of body role at 40mph. I can now take the same turn at 55mph and way less body roll and more control.

I don't drive this way all the time. Was just to test it out.

4th - I put a 4 channel 1000w amp under the drivers seat and had the front speakers upgraded and a sub woofer slim box put in the back crossed over to the other two channels. The back speakers are just pioneers but on the factory amp. Dont need them really since the front are high quality.
    With sound proofing my car is quiet outside but awesome inside. The great sound and bass makes you feel like you have more power all though this too is imagined. Lol.

Also i put a second small battery that fits right next to my main battery wired in along with a 100W capacitor hidden in the panel by the back left speaker. This helps keep the headlights from dimming when I'm jamming out at night and serves as a failover if my battery burns out. Which it did and my car dash went dead while driving. I stopped to find my battery was dead but the smaller one i had linked to it was enough to start it back up and seemed fine. I got home and a new main battery later all was good. The dead battery was 3yrs older than my small add in so i guess when it went dead caused problems but the little battery i had added kept me going. Still have it and this was all done in 2013.

If need be I could take pics of everything and post it when i have time. In short.

Not much you can really do short of throwing a turbo which done right, would cost you probably 5k. Not sure on that though. My car as it is runs good and has taken a beating over the years.

Had a 2012 [non turbo, loaded] and it couldn't get out of it's way. Dangerously so sometimes. Pedal to the floor and ... nothing... Traded it in for 2016 Turbo. Night and day difference. The turbo is not perfect but it can get out of it's own way. Added a MagnaFlow catback exhaust and that was like releasing a beast. So advice. I get you picked up a Vee cheap [it's a cool car] but save your money for a turbo ASAP or you will begin to hate it.
    There's a Fine Line Between Clever and Stupid...

9. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements