1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pompey Velo

Thread: Catalytic converter problem

Catalytic converter problem

A week ago, traveling uphill at speed, My Veloster (not turbo) reacted as though it momentarily had a fuel flow problem , lost power and I noticed the engine warning light flicker on and off. I eased off the accelerator and it was fine but the next time I went up a slope putting the engine under more strain the same happened, with the car 'hunting' until I changed down a gear, the light flickered on again. I was advised by a mechanic to try putting Cat cleaning fluid in the petrol which I did. Yesterday after another climb, the light came on permanently any suggestions, before I replace the Cat?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

welcome to the club!

what is your trim, year, mileage, and location?
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!
    TK.COM CAI/catback - Nameless poly motor mount - BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - CF filler cap
    Hawk ceramic pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar

2001 Emerald Green Metallic Kia Rio Manual
    Overhauled suspension - H&R springs - 1Gb control arms / torsion rods

A6D 1.6L DOHC swap complete! - new hubs/knuckles/brakes next.

I would try to get that code with an OBD2 reader.

I would definitely not replace the cat as that is probably the least likely cause for the issue - it is a very expensive part that should last well past 100k miles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome. I'm in the UK near Maidenhead, Berkshire. Windsor Castle is down the road!! I've got a Blue Veloster (not turbo) it's 2012 with 50,000 on the clock. I've managed to speak to my mechanic this afternoon, he agrees it's unlikely to be the Cat and is going to run a diagnostic on it on Monday. Cars running fine at the moment, as long as I don't gun it or push it up hills. Fingers crossed it'll get sorted.

I thought I'd joined this forum a while ago but the e-mails I have point back to Hyundai cars in general and didn't recognise my user name. Anyway nice to be here even if it might not be for long. Love it as I do, faults are starting to mount up, I've had it two years so I'm looking for something else. Annoyed Hyundai haven't launched the new model in the UK!!

Did you ever change the spark plugs?
    When was the last time you changed the air filter? I would pop it out and make sure it's not clogged because it literally takes 1 minute to check
    Last edited by lil_buddy; 04-02-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Hyundai stopped offering the Veloster in the UK in December 2014 so I'm not totally surprised Gen 2 didn't get introduced. But it was odd that it went this route when the first Veloster (your 2012 model) was showcased in the windows of Harrods! Good luck with the diagnosis -- hope it's nothing too serious.

Last edited by jkt1954; 04-02-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    ​APRIL 2017 VOTM
    2012 Ironman Silver, Style and Tech, purchased 10-17-2011
    Born on date: 08-22-2011
    Hyundai USA recall/service bulletins by VIN: https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome
    Join Google Fi get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/JX91JH 6-15 GB data fixed $60/mo
    https://www.hyundaimpgclasssettlement.com
    2nd Gen/2019 Veloster forum: https://www.veloster.org/forum/177-second-generation/

Quote Originally Posted by lil_buddy View Post
    Did you ever change the spark plugs?
    When was the last time you changed the air filter? I would pop it out and make sure it's not clogged because it literally takes 1 minute to check
    The car was serviced earlier this month, all normal filters were changed. Apparently my Spark plugs aren't due for change till next service. It's going for a diagnostic on Monday, so waiting for that. It's been an expensive last 4 weeks what with the service and needing a new radiator!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkt1954 View Post
    Hyundai stopped offering the Veloster in the UK in December 2014 so I'm not totally surprised Gen 2 didn't get introduced. But it was odd that it went this route when the first Veloster (your 2012 model) was showcased in the windows of Harrods! Good luck with the diagnosis -- hope it's nothing too serious.

Hi JKT, yeah unfortunate it didn't catch on here, the 3 door format was a lot for Brits to get their head around plus it's slow advertised 0-60mph didn't help.
    Wasn't aware it had been 'highlighted in Harrods !! Slightly adds to it's 'poshness'--perhaps if it could speak, it would sound like the Queen, LOL.

Did you check out the coil pack and plugs?I had an similar issue and that fixed it.

If it was the catcon that would be P0420 the code you'll get from the reader, and that would be a problem, as they are only warrantied for 80,000 miles and like to die right after on the KIA/Hyundai cars in particular. OBD2 reader, ELM327 Bluetooth v1.4 or newer I think is what you need. Use Torque app (free) on your phone. If you have an iPhone, you need the Wifi version of the OBD2 reader.

If it's not the code above, it'll probably tell you pretty specifically what the problem, and you can get much closer to fixing it. Code reader's ~$30 and well worth it for these things.

A little update. Turned out it was mis-firing in cylinder 1. Spark Plugs & coils for 1 & 2 changed. Also needed a new tyre yesterday & got told I had a knocking on the nearside front. Diagnoses broken/worn link. Anyway fixed today. Result--a new car!!!
    Ought to be really, as in last 2 months I've shelled out for new radiator (old one was leaking) a service, MOT and another tyre in addition to above.
    Just need to get the rear passenger door window working and it'll be like new, well once I get the paint scuffs on the front wings sorted
    nvyseal likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements