1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dealer want $150.00 for 7500 mile service !

Dealer want $150.00 for 7500 mile service !

The Hyundai dealer (West Broad Hyundai in Richmond, Va) I bought my VT from wants $150.00 for 7500 mile service !

Do you guys think that's too much ? I can go to Merchant's Tire and get an oil change for $20.00. Is there any reason to get it done at my dealer ?

When I bought the car I got an every other oil change for free agreement but the dealer is an hour away from me so it really does not seem like a good deal to me especially when they are charging $150.00. In order to use this agreement I have to pay for the 7500 oil change.

I just called my local Hyundai dealer in Charlottesville, Va and they want $60.00

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Ya.. no thats just a stupid idea. They are basically charging you for the every other "free oil change." Tell them that you are willing to pay A MAXIMUM of 60$ (same quoted price from another certified Hyundai dealer), or if they refuse and say its 150, tell them that you expect your next 2 oil changes to be free since your basically being charged for the every other oil change, which was supposedly free.

I personally wouldn't pay the 150 because what happens if next time you go they refuse to honour the agreement?

I got my first oil change for free. So I went to the dealer I bought the VT from. My local Hyundai dealer quoted me a price of $42 for an oil change, which seems pretty much about what the traffic can bear at a authorized dealer. I'll change it myself and use a better oil. (Amzoil synthetic) The dealer offers a 27 point inspection which I am curious about how much that will cost. I already know they push certain things like cabin filters and motor air filters along with brake fluid changes. Bet there's a host of money producing things they'll want to do.

2013 IRONMAN SILVER VT-AT ULTIMATE

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I am sure that the $150 includes more than just an oil and filter change. I just did that same service, but I get all my oil changes, tire rotations for free. I negotiated that when I leased my VT, and was given a book full of different coupons for the free stuff and discounted services. Just ask what the 150 include. If they don't want to budge, then go to the other dealer. You don't need to "marry" the dealer you bought the car from.

My dealer included a "Free Tires For Life" certificate upon purchase of the car with the stipulation that you must agree to the conditions and sign the agreement. It specifically states that you MUST bring the car back to that dealer for each and every required maintenance -so strict that even if you go to Jiffy Lube (or any other place) just ONCE the certificate is voided. Bottom-line is that the tires will NOT BE FREE but you pay for them in advance with higher maintenance bills. Granted there are always coupons for discounts but you still pay more than necessary to get those tires. On each visit they try to add-on stuff you may not want or need, such as a cabin air-filter replacement or nitrogen in the tires and you can decline, as long as you pay the minimum agreed-to maintenance fee...and that price IS negotiable. Dealer Profit is made in the service department, moreso than new car sales so it's in their best interest to try to sell-up at the Service-Writers Desk. -and as always, it's better to be remembered for being nice rather than nasty in negotiating.
    2013 Veloster Turbo Automatic, Ultra Black/Gray, Ultimate Package...Driving My Dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    My dealer included a "Free Tires For Life" certificate upon purchase of the car with the stipulation that you must agree to the conditions and sign the agreement. It specifically states that you MUST bring the car back to that dealer for each and every required maintenance .... .
    I was offered a deal similar to that when I bought my Durango some years ago.
    I decided it wasn't worth the money as you will only get the exact same tires as supplied when the vehicle was new (in my case Goodyear RTS which were really a crap in the snow), and they have to last the prescribed amout of time .. any less and they'll quibble. Just look at the small print and see if you'd have to accept the exact same Korean tires that the car came with.
    When I priced up what the cost to have the dealer service vs what it cost me to service it was 5 times the cost.
    My dealer gave me free oil changes for 6 years when I bought mine .. plus car washes whenever I take it in.
    No more Veloster Turbo .. now driving a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali as my daily driver
    Just call me Nevl the Devil

You guys get off lightly, in Australia we have Hyundai capped price servicing which is fixed at $250 every 15,000KM with an additional $150 intrim service in between (+7,500KM) for the turbo. Even this is cheap by Australian standards, my last 40,000KM standard service on my Mitsubishi was $450.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    oldsalt likes this.

RIPOFF!!! at 7500miles only requires an oil change!
    Keep it gangster.

lol @ 7500 mile service. I've only gotten 2 oil changes and 2 tire rotations and 2 inspections, both free as part of my purchase. Upgraded to the synthetic Quaker State for $15 extra each time. Not a bad deal.
    2013 Veloster Turbo | Matte Gray | Ultimate Package

Quote Originally Posted by Tokra View Post
    You guys get off lightly, in Australia we have Hyundai capped price servicing which is fixed at $250 every 15,000KM with an additional $150 intrim service in between (+7,500KM) for the turbo. Even this is cheap by Australian standards, my last 40,000KM standard service on my Mitsubishi was $450.

Do all vehicle brands ream their purchasers that way? Is the service requirement/payment written into your purchase contract, i.e. do you agree to abide by those terms or the dealer won't sell the car to you?

You can always do it yourself.
    Mike

Do they rotate the air in your tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Waltv View Post
    Do they rotate the air in your tires?

YES! -and for only $15 more they lubricated the horn.
    2013 Veloster Turbo Automatic, Ultra Black/Gray, Ultimate Package...Driving My Dream!

I got a bad vibe from the service department at the dealer I got my VT. A freind of mine knows a service manager at another hyundai dealership and he has a don't sell the customer what they don't need policy. I took it in was in and out for my first oil change in about 30-40 min when I mentioned I was on my way to hunt down someplace for coffee he pointed me in the direction of a place and gave me his stamp card for a free coffee.
    Velosiraptor19 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Do all vehicle brands ream their purchasers that way? Is the service requirement/payment written into your purchase contract, i.e. do you agree to abide by those terms or the dealer won't sell the car to you?
    As far as price goes hyundai servicing are one of the cheapest. Buy a European car here and a dealer service could easy be up to $1,000. Mitsubishi now also has capped price at $180 for new cars. There is nothing at all that keeps you tied to the dealer but the capped prices are usually cheaper than you can get at independent service centre that will use non genuine parts.

The capped price is only for 3 years, after that the dealer can charge what they like ($450 in the case of my last car on the 4th year). Typically the Asian & Australian car dealers are only about $50 or so dearer than the independents on a non capped service so most first owners just stick with the dealer. Used car owners typically use the independents. Owning a European car here is an expensive proposition.

As I said you are in no way obligated to take it to a Hyundai dealer for servicing at any time. However warranty issues are always more complicated if done at an independent even though Australian competition law says the warranty cannot be conditional on using a specific service provider.

...As I said you are in no way obligated to take it to a Hyundai dealer for servicing at any time. However warranty issues are always more complicated if done at an independent even though Australian competition law says the warranty cannot be conditional on using a specific service provider.

Very interesting...Thanks.

Re: the above quote. Is servicing your vehicle (e.g. DIY oil changes) under warranty with adequate documentation feasible or do owners feel intimidated by the auto service culture/inadequte consumer protection laws into avoiding self servicing?

In Australia if you could not prove scheduled servicing was carried out by a qualified mechanic the warranty would most probably be void. In the scheme of this the prices the dealers charge here are not over the top when you consider we pay nearly $10,000 more drive away for a VT here than in the USA even though our dollar is higher than the US$

Also we are paying $1.50 a litre for regular petrol (thats equiv to $6 a gallon)

Last edited by Tokra; 03-01-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonestert View Post
    The Hyundai dealer (West Broad Hyundai in Richmond, Va) I bought my VT from wants $150.00 for 7500 mile service !

Do you guys think that's too much ? I can go to Merchant's Tire and get an oil change for $20.00. Is there any reason to get it done at my dealer ?

When I bought the car I got an every other oil change for free agreement but the dealer is an hour away from me so it really does not seem like a good deal to me especially when they are charging $150.00. In order to use this agreement I have to pay for the 7500 oil change.

I just called my local Hyundai dealer in Charlottesville, Va and they want $60.00
    Ok well the dealership my hubby works at charges 199.99 for a 7500, and if it's done properly it's not just oil and filter change, granted it's a new car, but they make sure brakes are wearing evenly and that the linings are good, tire wear and rotation the tension on the E-Brake is correct, obviously oil and filter change, they inspect the air and cabin filters(depending on driving conditions and environment may ask you to change it at 10k instead of 15k or even say you're good till 25k) top off and check your fluids... Granted yes you can probably do all this yourself, but they offer it for the people who don't know how to do this themselves, for a 7500K your primarily paying for labor inspecting the car rather than just the oil change you think you're getting. If you total out Parts and Labor for just the oil change you're probably paying bout 20-30 bucks, .3 is usually book time for it and so at a labor rate of ~100 an hour which most dealerships charge in my area your paying the tech for an hour or so of his time to thoroughly go over your car.... And of course that comes down to the tech and if he actually does the work or just does the oil change and ships it...
    Last edited by SunnyD; 03-01-2013 at 10:06 PM.

In Australia if you could not prove scheduled servicing was carried out by a qualified mechanic the warranty would most probably be void. In the scheme of this the prices the dealers charge here are not over the top when you consider we pay nearly $10,000 more drive away for a VT here than in the USA even though our dollar is higher than the US$

Also we are paying $1.50 a litre for regular petrol (thats equiv to $6 a gallon)

And, $75 for 5 liters of Motul X-Cess syn oil (from cbrmale's post), i.e. about $15 USD per quart. Wow!

Thanks again for the info and perspective.

I was charged ~$40 for my 7,500 mile service, which included a new oil filter (I provided the oil), tire rotation, and a thorough inspection on the entire car. Hell, my dealer didn't even charge me over $100 to put in my KDM VT headlights and mount/balance two new wheels so I could have black and yellow, which was an unusual job for them.
    Last edited by likenedthus; 03-01-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    2012/DCT/Style/Tech/26.2 Yellow

23. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast