1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Veloster Turbo Media Reviews

MTD
    Very true. They advertise that info for the Genesis. Maybe it's enough difference to feel but not enough that's worth mentioning.
    '13 Genesis Coupe 3.8
    '15 TLX SH-AWD

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MTD View Post
    Very true. They advertise that info for the Genesis. Maybe it's enough difference to feel but not enough that's worth mentioning.
    This is purely anecdotal (i.e. we haven't put one on a dyno to test the theory), but I feel the car has significantly better throttle response and a bit more power when running high-octane fuel. I've driven some with 87 in the tank but have been putting 94 in the ones we got this week.
    Current car: 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec (White Satin Pearl)
    NOTE: All views and opinions are my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Force View Post
    This is purely anecdotal (i.e. we haven't put one on a dyno to test the theory), but I feel the car has significantly better throttle response and a bit more power when running high-octane fuel. I've driven some with 87 in the tank but have been putting 94 in the ones we got this week.
    It is really quite hard to substantiate the alleged power gains from using higher octane fuel. I mean, theoretically, it makes sense. But I doubt the power difference is significant enough that you can measure it on a dyno, because the power gains would likely fall within the dyno's margin of error.

And not to knock on ya Force because I do trust your driving senses, but it's hard to make a convincing case out of how the car feels. Some people feel that their cars are faster after a car wash.. lol

Personally, I'd likely run 91 anyways.
    Veloster Stalker

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by izikk View Post
    It is really quite hard to substantiate the alleged power gains from using higher octane fuel. I mean, theoretically, it makes sense. But I doubt the power difference is significant enough that you can measure it on a dyno, because the power gains would likely fall within the dyno's margin of error.

And not to knock on ya Force because I do trust your driving senses, but it's hard to make a convincing case out of how the car feels. Some people feel that their cars are faster after a car wash.. lol

Personally, I'd likely run 91 anyways.
    Hey, I fully agree, but we will be testing the theory as best we can. I suspect it is a quantifiable difference in performance given it's a turbocharged GDI engine (i.e. it can take advantage of different timing). Like I said, simply anecdotal. I'll be testing fuel consumption to see how big the gap between octanes is; premium will obviously do better, the question is how much.
    Current car: 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec (White Satin Pearl)
    NOTE: All views and opinions are my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Best I can say about this review is that it's downright mean. I am sure this guy was a passenger and not the driver, that's why he pissed off .
    I promise you, I did actually drive the car.

The Sonic comparison is really about expectations vs. delivery. The Sonic Turbo delivers a lot more fun than you'd expect considering its price and mission. The Veloster Turbo, IMHO, does not deliver the fun factor *I* expected given its price and mission. A bit of an extreme comparison, I admit, and one that may have run a little wide of the target. FWIW, I got a quesiton from the PR department along the lines of "Sonic? Seriously?"

Anyway, appreciate that you are reading my review and commenting on it. To be honest, that one wasn't much fun to write, because I really like both Hyundai and their cars, but I really was disappointed in the Veloster Turbo. It's not a bad car, just one that I didn't think hit the mark. But if you can see the car from your own perspective based on what I've said about it, and decide if it's right for you, then I've done my job!

Something else you guys might be interested in... An interview I did with John Krafcik a couple of years back:

John Krafcik interview - President and CEO of Hyundai America John Krafcik talks to About.com - Part 1

Aaron

PS -- Not to sound defensive, but About.com actually gets about 1.2 million readers per month in our automotive section alone. We're not exactly a household name among car buffs, but we do OK with the public at large.
    Eephus Man and silverarrow27 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Autonerd View Post

The Sonic comparison is really about expectations vs. delivery. The Sonic Turbo delivers a lot more fun than you'd expect considering its price and mission. The Veloster Turbo, IMHO, does not deliver the fun factor *I* expected given its price and mission. A bit of an extreme comparison, I admit, and one that may have run a little wide of the target. FWIW, I got a quesiton from the PR department along the lines of "Sonic? Seriously?"

Anyway, appreciate that you are reading my review and commenting on it. To be honest, that one wasn't much fun to write, because I really like both Hyundai and their cars, but I really was disappointed in the Veloster Turbo. It's not a bad car, just one that I didn't think hit the mark. But if you can see the car from your own perspective based on what I've said about it, and decide if it's right for you, then I've done my job!
    I like this tidbit from that old interview:

JOHN KRAFCIK: I'm really excited about the production version of the concept car called Veloster. Don't worry, we won't name our production car Veloster, I promise you.

Quote Originally Posted by izikk View Post
    Some people feel that their cars are faster after a car wash.. lol
    It DOES izikk.
    2013 Veloster Turbo | Matte Gray | Ultimate Package

Yeah, I was liking that part (about the interview), too. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
    I like this tidbit from that old interview:
    He also said there was no VT planned and if we wanted a VT we can get a GC. This was less than a year ago. I wonder if he plays poker in his spare time, lol!
    2013 Veloster Turbo | Matte Gray | Ultimate Package

Quote Originally Posted by 1.6 T-GDI View Post
    He also said there was no VT planned and if we wanted a VT we can get a GC. This was less than a year ago. I wonder if he plays poker in his spare time, lol!
    He plays poker now. Just read all his not-so-subtle comments about limited availability. That's a fine bluff to go along with a decent hand.

0 to 215 kmph, yay?

MTD
    Autonerd, while I dont agree with your review, I do appreciate you coming here. I wish more journalist would spent time following their own reviews.
    Autonerd likes this.
    '13 Genesis Coupe 3.8
    '15 TLX SH-AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 1.6 T-GDI View Post
    It DOES izikk.
    Veloster Stalker

Quote Originally Posted by Autonerd View Post
    The Sonic comparison is really about expectations vs. delivery. The Sonic Turbo delivers a lot more fun than you'd expect considering its price and mission. The Veloster Turbo, IMHO, does not deliver the fun factor *I* expected given its price and mission.
    The Sonic LTZ does deliver very good performance and fuel efficiency for the price, but that is where the line stops. Everything else about it is crap in a similar manner to the Cobalt SS. The interior style looks like crap and the seats are the cheapest things Chevrolet can get their hands on. The transmission meets the minimum standards of a manual, but does not impress anyone with quality or ease of use. In terms of just performance, yes the Sonic LTZ is a better value, but who is buying this car for just performance? The Veloster Turbo is not just about a performance upgrade, but also a quality upgrade. The seats are supportive and well made; the manual transmission is miles ahead of the Sonic LTZ and look at what a loaded Veloster Turbo has in comparison. If someone is only interested in cheap speed, go with a MazdaSpeed3 compared to the Sonic LTZ. At least the MazdaSpeed3 adds performance for the lack of comfort and the Sonic LTZ is just cheap with a small addition of speed.
    MTD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 5LV8 View Post
    Volkswagen took the moral high ground to reduce the price of production. Volkswagen never cut funds to that would negatively impact the quality of their cars, they bought slaves.
    The new Jetta would suggest otherwise.
    nouse4aname and Eephus Man like this.

Why would you say that? I find it highly useful to read reviews from all over the world, including those in other languages (that I can read). It's especially relevant when the car is so similar from country to country, as is the case here. Don't forget, too, that there are readers from many different countries on this board.
    Since 9/29/11: White Veloster MT Tech & Style, Grey Interior

[mod tiara] Guys.. funny as it is, it's completely off-topic and this is going to be a very long run sticky, so I'm splitting you out to a new thread.[/mod tiara]

Sent down the hall to https://www.veloster.org/forum/16-off...ady-laugh.html
    Last edited by dianebrat; 07-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    MTD and [email protected] like this.
    off to the the dark side

Aaron, I think expectations were too high and Hyundai sure hyped this car as a second coming of the CRX.
    The fact is it's just a quirky, different economy car with a personality. And in that regard there is no car in the price range that does it better.
    If you go to the base Veloster for 18k it's hard to fathom any other car that provides as much including standard equipment and style for that much.

I think reviews are just so disappointed these days in everything that it rubs off.
    The BRZ is the perfect example with the opposite reaction. Way too much praise.

We had the same car almost 8 years ago withe the RX-8 that got trashed because it only made 250HP.
    We essentially have the same car with Veloster Turbo HP levels and its just enough and the BRZ is amazing?

It's all subjective.
    MTD and Eephus Man like this.
    2012 Marathon Blue Veloster | 2007 Lotus Exige S | 2010 Honda Fit
    Veloster Interface Design | Development Website | Full Veloster Review

Quote Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
    Aaron, I think expectations were too high and Hyundai sure hyped this car as a second coming of the CRX.
    The fact is it's just a quirky, different economy car with a personality. And in that regard there is no car in the price range that does it better.
    If you go to the base Veloster for 18k it's hard to fathom any other car that provides as much including standard equipment and style for that much.

I think reviews are just so disappointed these days in everything that it rubs off.

We had the same car almost 8 years ago withe the RX-8 that got trashed because it only made 250HP.
    We essentially have the same car with Veloster Turbo HP levels and its just enough and the BRZ is amazing?

It's all subjective.
    It is subjective, but as you know better than many others, you're talking about very different tools in the toolbox between the BRZ/FRS and the VT.

FWIW, I agree that, especially in the base trim, the VT is a lot of value. I disagree that fully loaded and given the ridiculous way that HNA is distributing and intentionally limiting production the Ultimate Package car is necessarily a good deal. As I'm sure folks are sick of hearing from me and others, a Focus ST, minus a very few accoutrements (heated seats, navigation, parking control), is the exact same price.

And I do agree that Hyundai has over-marketed this car. Or at least mis-marketed it. It worked on me until the sum of its parts wasn't really adding up to the hype of each of them. They used a lot of sportscar/sportshatch language in their push, and as you've mentioned, despite being a great little car, that's simply not what the thing is cut out to be. Not yet, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post

It's all subjective.

C.R.E.A.M....nuff said...Hyundai does NOT pay anybody to say good things about their cars.
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!:eek:

23. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast