1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Clicking noise from front end.

Clicking noise from front end.

My car has about 12,000 miles on it. Lately there has been a clicking noise coming from the drivers side front. Sounds to me like it is coming from the axle. Its almost like there is some slack in the drivetrain and when you accelerate is takes up the slack. Its a clicking/popping noise. The noise used to be intermittent, but I am now able to replicate the noise. My friend was in the car the other day, and I asked him his opinion. He doesn't think it sounds normal either. He thought it may be a caliper. Anyone else noticed this type of noise on their car?

I wasn't going to mess with it since I was trading it in. But now I am thinking of keeping it. If I keep it, I need to figure out where this is coming from. I just hate taking this car in for anything since Hyundai does not have loaner cars. This is the only manufacturer I have bought a car from that does not give loaners.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

My personal experience so far is that noises are extremely hard to diagnose unless they produce an issue with the car. Another point to take into consideration is that most dealers are inexperienced with this model because it is new. I'm affraid you will most likely have to live with the noise until it produces a problem.

Thanks,
    Gabe

In this case, you may also want to mention which transmission you have. Might be relevant
    My Veloster: Marathon Blue Exterior, Black Interior, Tech Package, and a 6 Speed Manual

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

The CV shafts are just like an ATV, that's what's probably clicking. IMO
    2012 Yellow Veloster DCT with Style and Tech package.
    LED Back-up lights.
    Tinted 20% with 15% in both rear windows.
    Hyundai Cargo Tray for Sub-woofer.
    Nokya 881 Arctic Hyper Yellow 2500k Fog Lights
    LED Rear License Plate Lights
    Built 12-5-11 Bought 2-28-12

Does it happen whenever you're turning left or right? My honda does that, and I was told it was the bearings on the axle. Whenever my wheels are straight, no noise, but if I'm going slow and turning left or right the noise starts up.

Sorry, its a manual. Happens when you are going slow then start to accelerate. I have only noticed it when going straight. I think it has something to do with the CV. I know it has not always done this.

Quote Originally Posted by BretAZ View Post
    Sorry, its a manual. Happens when you are going slow then start to accelerate. I have only noticed it when going straight. I think it has something to do with the CV. I know it has not always done this.
    You need to see if the CV joints are leaking grease from a slight tear, that is what normally causes them to go out.
    LED Back-up lights.

I cant say about the noise - would have to actually hear it. What surprises me, however, is your comment that you dont get a loaner car - I have been dealing with an issue with my Veloster, taking it to a dealer few times and EVERY time a loaner was there for me - no charge, no questions - they even schedule my appointment based on when a loaner would be ready, so I dont have to wait. So, maybe it's just your dealer that doing this - take it to another dealer. Even on a survey you get from Hyundai after your service visit - if your loaner was there, etc. So, I think they should offer one. And like I said - if they dont - take your business to a dealer that will treat you right.
    jkt1954 likes this.

my dealer does not even have any loaners. they did get me a rental from enterprise once after i complained.

I'm right there with you BretAZ. Loaners.... what loaners??? It's a good thing I can car pool.

Gabe

Hope u find out what's wrong w the car. I am still waiting for my veloster to arrive. I still have my car to trade on my driveway. I got loaner while I wait on my new car.
    2012 Electrolyte Green Veloster with Style and Tech package.
    Born 2/21/12 - - - Purchased 5/3/12
    Tinted 5%
    Video Camera in Operation by BlackVue DR400G-HD
    Hyundai Cargo Tray
    Mud Guard
    Wheel Lock

***Florida/South Florida Veloster Ride Out***
    Coming soon

Dropped the car off this morning. I had planned on waiting until the the next oil change at 15k, but instead wanted to find out what this was as it seemed to be getting worse. I dropped it off this morning with 13,300 miles on it. I was able to make the car make the noise. There were about 4 people listening for the noise and they all heard it. Said it definitely did not sound normal.

Got a call this afternoon. Apparently, there is a bolt that holds the axle to the wheel. That bolt had worked itself loose and began to back itself out. They said that it was a good thing that I brought it in now because the axle could have dropped off the wheel. It seems to be fine now with no noise.

I also had the adaptive values reset while it was there.

Close, the CV joint is the axel. Glad you got it fixed!
    LED Back-up lights.

Sounds like my "seat clicking" noise, which is driving me crazy. I'm convinced it's in the seat: a tensioner or some sensor switch. I thought it was "cold weather-related", but it's going on still, and getting worse!

Since 9/29/11: White Veloster MT Tech & Style, Grey Interior

I have a similar issue with my 2012 Veloster manual, inside the car where the hood release is located near the floor (driver's left wheel), the plastic molding that meets the floor is loose and is not secure to the ground or side body of the car, which I think is related to the clicking noise I hear whenever I go over a bump.

Does this sound similar to what you're experiencing?

Thanks.
    Chris

Guys im sry to make you feel bad, but i had all the above on my V manual 2012, the clicking and everything, it started from about 9k miles, ive been taking it to the dealership since then (LIC Hyundai , THE WORST in everything) so their answer was that either was my idea, or the weather was rainy and they couldnt hear it.. so finally i got sick and tired of the car and took it to them in 12k miles for the service, again they started bullshiting me, but i told them to keep it there i went and drove with their mechanic (god know where he got his diploma) and finally he listen to the noises, after a day i get a phone call that the front axle is gone and the gearbox... all defective... mind u its not the 1st time on a manual as he was thinking, i own an amazing ford focus rs mk1 stage 4 turbo in Greece and i have it for 8 years and never had issues except a water pump.... so yeah today im gonna try to brake my lease cause i got sick and tired with the car... ohh yeah i got that clicking at the drivers seat and guess althouth the noise is loud they couldnt hear it.... so they say

My car has about 12,000 miles on it. Lately there has been a clicking noise coming from the drivers side front. Sounds to me like it is coming from the axle. Its almost like there is some slack in the drivetrain and when you accelerate is takes up the slack. Its a clicking/popping noise. The noise used to be intermittent, but I am now able to replicate the noise. My friend was in the car the other day, and I asked him his opinion. He doesn't think it sounds normal either. He thought it may be a caliper. Anyone else noticed this type of noise on their car?

I wasn't going to mess with it since I was trading it in. But now I am thinking of keeping it. If I keep it, I need to figure out where this is coming from. I just hate taking this car in for anything since Hyundai does not have loaner cars. This is the only manufacturer I have bought a car from that does not give loaners.
    Thanks for this thread. I have a 2013 V NA, 6sp man trans and have noticed the clicking when accelerating and upon slowing with the clutch engaged. Sounds like 'slack' as you've described. Dealer said it's the transmission lock lock - I'm doubtful and will have it checked again by another dealer. i read the other threads too about the axle bolt becoming loose too and - scary. I have 30k on mine.

Just FYI< loaners depend on the dealership, NOT the manufacturer. I speak from experience because I just got my Veloster back from my dealership today and I drove around in a FREE 2013 Elantra Limited while my Veloster was in the shop. My dealership gives FREE loaner cars every time you need one, and or shuttle service to and from work. So don't blame Hyundai for your dealer being a cheap ass. Just sayin.
    texascat2 likes this.
    Former cars:
    2013 Veloster Boston Red
    ext, black & gray int. 6spd M/T(Christine the evil demon car) Thank god it was bought back as a lemon

Current Vehicle 2016 Honda Civic Touring, Rallye Red and it's turbo charged!

Quote Originally Posted by Pampers4u View Post
    I have a similar issue with my 2012 Veloster manual, inside the car where the hood release is located near the floor (driver's left wheel), the plastic molding that meets the floor is loose and is not secure to the ground or side body of the car, which I think is related to the clicking noise I hear whenever I go over a bump.

Does this sound similar to what you're experiencing?

Thanks.
    Chris
    I'm gonna bump this old post. Yes, I'm getting this clicking noise, but I check everywhere for two days. My dealer did check under floor mate for moisture. I wonder if there a spot that wasn't secure.

My car has been making similar noises since I owned it. She has been in the shop more then I have has her. It's a 2012 automatic. I've already had three transmissions and a billion other things done all without being fixed. Now the car is even dangerous to drive as I get a lag or delay when I try to accelerate through an intersection etc. I have it parked now and only really take it out to show people what is wrong with it. It's a very expensive model car.

23. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast