1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Oem backup camera problems

Oem backup camera problems

Hey guys i have a manual 2013 vt with the oem hatch handle back up camera. It wont turn on when i put it in reverse. The screen just stays on the radio. So today i had abit of time at work (im a mechanic) and i brought it in the garage. I printed out the wiring diagram and found that there are only 4 wires for the camera. Red orange blue and black/orange. I popped the hatch panel off and took out the radio. Theres power going to the camera plug and the grounds are good. I also checked the continuity for all 4 wires from the radio to the plug and its all good so no cut wires anywere. Now here is my problem. Could this be a camera problem or a headunit problem? Also how does the head unit or camera kno when the car is in reverse? Is there a switch near the shifter assembly that could b srewed up? Any input would b great and i tried a search on the forums but i havnt found n e thing with this type of carera problem. Hope to hear from u guys soon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I am not sure how the camera knows when the car is in reverse, I only know that that is the only time the camera shows up on the screen (okay, occasionally it stays on for a few seconds after putting it into drive but hasn't happened in long while -- maybe not since I got the new head unit?). Save yourself the time and energy and just take it in. It could be the head unit, it could be wiring, or it could be the camera.
    ​APRIL 2017 VOTM
    2012 Ironman Silver, Style and Tech, purchased 10-17-2011
    Born on date: 08-22-2011
    Hyundai USA recall/service bulletins by VIN: https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome
    Join Google Fi get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/JX91JH 6-15 GB data fixed $60/mo
    https://www.hyundaimpgclasssettlement.com
    2nd Gen/2019 Veloster forum: https://www.veloster.org/forum/177-second-generation/

The headunit has a signal wire from one on the reverse lights. I retrofitted a hatch handle camera and when I first installed it, it would not function. I left it installed and one day needed to press the reset button (near the cd slot) and after that the camera began working. It might be worth a shot to see if the reset button would fix your problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Thanks for the help guys. The first thing that i tried b4 all of this was the reset and no luck. I wanted to bring it in but the dealer told me the camera is out of warranty even though i only have 40xxxkms on the car. I dont think its a wiring problem since i checked the 4 wires with my multimeter from the back of the headunit to the latch and theres continuity so no cut wires. Ill take a look at the wiring diagram again n c which wire is the one that gives the signal from the reverse lights and test it. Does n e one kno which color that wire is? Thanks alot for the help i really appreciate

It is pin 7 on the B connector. It is a yellow/black wire. It gets power from the B/UP LAMP 2 fuse (10A). Hopefully this helps.

Great thanks alot i kno what im gonna b doing monday after work lol

Quote Originally Posted by mehringe View Post
    It is pin 7 on the B connector. It is a yellow/black wire. It gets power from the B/UP LAMP 2 fuse (10A). Hopefully this helps.
    Just a question before i start to take a look at this. Im guessing that the yellow/black wire connects from the back of the fuse box to the headunit?

Back of the radio to the "smart junction box"

So ive got an update for you guys. Sorry i didnt post earlier but i was way to bisy with work n everyday things. I checked the yellow/black wire going from the fuse box to the back of the headunit and that wire is good. I also spoke with a friend of mine who works as a mechanic at a hyundai dealership n he told me that if all the wires are good n theres no picture at all then the most likely thing thats wrong is the headunit. I was hoping it was the camera i was thinking that maybe i can buy those afternarket cameras that hook up near the liscence plate bulbs and fit it into the hatch handle with the original wiring. Has anyone ever tries that before? Any info would b great thx

have you tried pushing the reset button the radio?
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!
    TK.COM CAI/catback - Nameless poly motor mount - BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - CF filler cap
    Hawk ceramic pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar

2001 Emerald Green Metallic Kia Rio Manual
    Overhauled suspension - H&R springs - 1Gb control arms / torsion rods

A6D 1.6L DOHC swap complete! - new hubs/knuckles/brakes next.

Quote Originally Posted by RPW00Mirage View Post
    have you tried pushing the reset button the radio?
    Ya that was the first thing i tried before removing everything and testing it
    RPW00Mirage likes this.

When my car had no backup camera I originallyinstalled one of the license plate light camera. It stopped working in about 2 months due to corrosion of the circuit board itself. You can find hard units on eBay for pretty cheap. I think I saw one a few days ago for less than $100...

Quote Originally Posted by mehringe View Post
    When my car had no backup camera I originallyinstalled one of the license plate light camera. It stopped working in about 2 months due to corrosion of the circuit board itself. You can find hard units on eBay for pretty cheap. I think I saw one a few days ago for less than $100...
    Thats good to know. Do u mean the circuit board in the headunit itself?

I have a 2015 Turbo and have continuous issues with the backup camera/infotainment system. The dealer has had the car several times and says that they cannot see what I see. It happens all the time and yet, the dealer must think I am making this all up. When shifting to reverse, the camera comes on, but without the guidelines and then after ten to twenty seconds the lines appear. Shifting into drive, often I get a totally black screen, which could last up to several minutes and then instead of going to the FM, which was the last mode in use, it wants to load my iPod, instead. Further, the settings, have to be reset on my iPod each time. My thoughts are that the unit is clearly defective. HELP???

mdm
    I sometimes experience a delay before the lines show up and befirethe image contrast is correct. But that only happens if I just started the car (I am assuming the system is still booting up) and lasts maybe 3 or 4 seconds at most.

Have you tried resetting the system?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    --
    2016 Veloster Turbo DCT

Quote Originally Posted by Alex420 View Post
    Sorry about the delayed response I missed your post...

The corroded board was the camera board located at the license plate light.

I have the same problem. I had all the sensors replaced under warranty but now my camera has quit. It used to flash on and off in reverse for a while and now it don't work at all. The sensors were a corrosion issue.. Gonna try the reset on my head unit and see if that does anything. You must be able to test the camera for continuity? I was told by a mechanic that moisture builds up in the camera but i think that was a general take on all makes and models.

I will be investigating this issue more in the near future and will keep everyone posted. Hopefully its an easy or atleast a cheap fix!!!
    2013 Veloster Base 6MT (Canada Model) Century White

There is a rubber seal around the hatch handle that should keep the majority of moisture out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex420 View Post

Hello,

I saw your post on the forum and I have the exact same problem on a 2013 manual Veloster. (From Montreal too)

Did you find the solution ? Wiring is all good and I get no image at all when in reverse.

I didn't see an update but do you think it is the headunit or the camera itself ?

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by jmbinette View Post
    Hello,

I saw your post on the forum and I have the exact same problem on a 2013 manual Veloster. (From Montreal too)

Did you find the solution ? Wiring is all good and I get no image at all when in reverse.

I didn't see an update but do you think it is the headunit or the camera itself ?

Thanks !
    Update : I replaced the camera with an aftermarket chinese camera that I had laying around. Camera powers up but headunit does not switch to image.
    Could the headunit be defective ? Anything I can do to "debug" the video input?

Thanks

23. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast