1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky-D
  • 1 Post By Wargoose

Thread: Clear coat delaminating on rim

Clear coat delaminating on rim

These are the B-Type rims that Hyundai sells with the 2019 R-Spec in the US and the performance package in Canada. The car is about 10 months old and they've never seen snow or salt or anything of that sort (I run a dedicated set of winter rims). Today I noticed that on two of the rims the clear coat finish is starting to delaminate. Anyone else seeing this?

IMG_20190614_184337.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Sorry, but I don't know what the wheels might go through just sitting out a winter (depends on storage I guess, whether in a warm storage space or an unheated storage space). I'll guess below freezing isn't helpful to the wheel finish but cars in the U.S., too, go through below freezing temps so that doesn't seem to be the answer. As there aren't too many 2019 V owners on this site, I would say to take it in to the dealership to see what they have to say. Maybe its the finish on the wheel. And, please, report back.
    Last edited by jkt1954; 06-14-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    ​APRIL 2017 VOTM
    2012 Ironman Silver, Style and Tech, 10-17-2011
    Born on: 08-22-2011
    USA recall/service bulletins by VIN: https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome
    Join Google Fi get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/JX91JH 6-15 GB data fixed $60/mo
    $50 off Pixel 3a at Google store: Promo code:
    B-9VY0UP8PCDZ7ZG6T85LB4M0
    https://www.hyundaimpgclasssettlement.com
    2nd Gen/2019 Veloster forum: https://www.veloster.org/forum/177-second-generation/

Hello Wargoose. I am new to the forum and recently joined to post questions regarding the very same issue you are mentioning. I live in Texas and have a 2019 Veloster Turbo R Spec with the black painted wheels. I purchased the vehicle new in December, 2018 and are also seeing flaking of the clear coat on the wheels. The issue seems to be aggravated by moisture and first saw evidence of the problem on one wheel two weeks after purchasing the vehicle during an extended rain event. The whole wheel had splotchy discoloration all over that that appeared to be hydrolysis of the clear coat. I took it to my dealer and after submitting a case to Hyundai, they finally got approval to replace the rim. I told the dealer that I was concerned about this and wanted an explanation from Hyundai regarding the root cause of the issue. I was thinking that Hyundai may have gotten a bad batch of wheels and that I would eventually have an issue with the other wheels on the car. The dealer never provided a root cause for the issue and just told me that they documented the situation and would take care of any similar problems if they appeared on the other wheels.

Fast forward 5 months and I am now seeing the same issue, but to a lesser extent, on the remaining 3 original wheels. The clear coat is now actually delaminating from the black paint/powder coating and flaking off. The issue seems to initiate in the curved section where the spokes of the wheel meet the outer rim. I will try to post some pictures later. I have not seen the problem yet on the wheel that they replaced.

I took my car in to the same dealer about a month ago to report the recurring issue. They took my information and pictures and again submitted to Hyundai for approval to replace the wheels. After waiting over a month for a reply, I was just told yesterday from the Service Advisor of the dealership that Hyundai is refusing replacement. I am extremely angry about the situation and am elevating the issue to the dealership Service Manager and GM. I have also filed a case through Hyundai customer service.

i would strongly suggest that you report the issue to your dealer and push to have your wheels replaced. Tell them you are hearing from others that are having a similar issue. This is definitely a quality defect with the clear coat used on the wheels. It should not be flaking off like this after such a short time. Unfortunately, there is not much information out there on the Veloster, so the more we can raise awareness about the issue the better it will be for all the folks affected. Hyundai has had similar issues with black wheels on Tucson’s and Santa Fe’s, so this is not new for them. Hopefully others experiencing the problem will see this post and respond.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback, kalahydra, much appreciated. I'll be starting in with Hyundai next week and see what comes of it. My thing is, even if they replace the rims, what happens when they do it again a year from now?

I wanted to post a couple of pictures of the clearcoat delamination issue I am seeing on my R Spec.

The first picture with the widespread discoloration was what I saw a few days after taking delivery of the vehicle. I had about 300 miles on the odometer at the time. This discoloration appeared after we had several days of rainy weather (my car is not garaged......it is my daily driver and parked outside in my driveway when at home).

The other pictures are what I am seeing now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wargoose.......I hear what you are saying. I requested an explanation from Hyundai and root cause assessment when I first reported the problem. I never received any response to this. The dealer only told me that my issue was documented and they would take care of any problems if they recurred .......... which they are now refusing to honor.

I intend to press the issue now and demand a formal root cause analysis. If I make my point and they agree that this was a quality/defect issue with the wheels, I will request written validation that they resolved the issue before accepting replacement wheels. If they cannot provide that, then I will request that they reimburse me the value of the wheels and I will go purchase some quality aftermarket ones and have them installed myself.

I am interested to hear what your dealer tells you. Please keep us posted.

Quality aftermarket wheels is misnomer. Until you start to get in the range of "prohibitively expensive",,, no more durable wheels can be found outside of the wheels that auto manufacturers supply on their new vehicles. That being said I feel the wheels pictured in this thread are poorly manufactured and should be replaced by the manufacturer. I think that most all auto manufacturers warranty their wheels for 12 months. After that time expires it becomes a difficult "row to hoe".

jkt1954 likes this.
    2013 IRONMAN SILVER VT-AT ULTIMATE

Quote Originally Posted by kalahydra View Post
    I intend to press the issue now and demand a formal root cause analysis. If I make my point and they agree that this was a quality/defect issue with the wheels, I will request written validation that they resolved the issue before accepting replacement wheels. If they cannot provide that, then I will request that they reimburse me the value of the wheels and I will go purchase some quality aftermarket ones and have them installed myself.
    That't completely outside the scope of their warranty obligations. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice for this to happen, but they're not compelled to meet your demands when replacing a faulty component. You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by mago_veloster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kalahydra View Post
    That't completely outside the scope of their warranty obligations. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice for this to happen, but they're not compelled to meet your demands when replacing a faulty component. You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

So how would you suggest we handle this situation? If there is an issue with the formulation of the clear coat used for the wheels, then the problem will recur on any replacement wheels they provide. I guess they can keep replacing the wheels, but I would think they would want to understand why they are having the problem. It may be cheaper for Hyundai to just reimburse the customer in this case and be done with it.

What is not clear here is whether the issue was isolated to just a few batches of this style wheels or to all the black painted wheels produced for the R Spec. If it was an isolated case, then replacing the wheels should solve it. I am hoping participation in this forum will help determine how widespread the issue is.

Incidentally, the Hyundai paint warranty for new vehicles indicates coverage for 3 years or 36,000 miles from purchase date. The coverage for replacement parts ( I assume wheels also) is 1 year or 12,000 miles. Not sure why Hyundai is not willing to honor this on my vehicle, but I am escalating.

I have an appointment for my car next week and added it to the list of items for service to look at. I'll keep you folks posted on the outcome.

Having a 2019 R Spec that I purchased last October, I'll be watching my wheels closely. Here's my deal though... I did coat the wheels with HYDROSILEX when new. I see nothing that even in part resembles the images posted above... and the car wash that I use is pretty... "thorough" when it comes to cleaning the wheels as well.

I hope Hyundai does well by you. Keep us posted as to what happens.

Oh... and I am in FlawDUH so.. aside from maybe some salt air... I see no salt and the coldest the car has seen... maybe 38 degrees since I've owned it.

Good luck!
    Later!

Boneman

'19 R spec, Thunder Grey - "Greystone"

Quote Originally Posted by boneman View Post
    Having a 2019 R Spec that I purchased last October, I'll be watching my wheels closely. Here's my deal though... I did coat the wheels with HYDROSILEX when new. I see nothing that even in part resembles the images posted above... and the car wash that I use is pretty... "thorough" when it comes to cleaning the wheels as well.

I hope Hyundai does well by you. Keep us posted as to what happens.

Oh... and I am in FlawDUH so.. aside from maybe some salt air... I see no salt and the coldest the car has seen... maybe 38 degrees since I've owned it.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the input boneman. Did you have a full ceramic coating treatment done on your wheels and then periodically use the Hydrosilex or did you just do a one-time treatment with the Hydrosilex?

My understanding is that Hydrosilex is just a "recharge" product that enhances the performance of an actual ceramic coating. It may provide some level of barrier protection when used by itself also, but not sure how long it lasts.

Definitely good to know. If there is an issue with the factory clear coat of the wheels, any level of additional protection in the form of a hydrophobic coating should help.

So the dealer agreed to refinish both rims but they'll want them for a week so I'm going to wait until the fall when my winter tires go back on.
    jkt1954 likes this.

Thanks for the feedback Wargoose. I am glad your dealer is addressing the issue.

I am still waiting on a response from Hyundai Customer Care for my issue. My dealer claimed that Hyundai refused to replace my rims because the damage looked like it was from “outside influences” based on the photos they submitted. Hyundai Customer Care is telling me that they see no record of any case and photos ever submitted by the dealer and no record of a Hyundai Corporate representative denying the case. I sent them my photos and am waiting for them to review. I’ll post the outcome when I hear back.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements