1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mago_veloster

Thread: New owner of Veloster turbo ultimate AT and a few questions

Hey everybody! I just picked up our first Hyundai and it is a 2019 turbo ultimate 7sp at. I got it mainly for my wife but will be using it myself as well for short trip to stores and such.
    -My first question is about oem tires. I couldn't find any info on which tires this car comes with. I only saw that the r spec with the manual comes with Michelin super sports, but 0 info about AT cars. My car came with some all weather Nexen tires and I am not quite sure if the are any good? The ride is harsh though..
    -I am also thinking about some near future upgrades (waiting for 500 miles break in period). Does anybody have experience with the afe scorcher gt tuner and their takeda cai? I don't really want to push the engine and the tranny too hard, neither want to change spark plugs and such. Another 40-50 HP and toque would be more than enough for my needs.

I only drove this car for about 10-15 miles so far and I've really got mixed feelings about it.. It's agile, takes corners like a champ, the features are nice, it looks really nice. Things I don't like so far: it's harsh(maybe switching tires will help), poor visibility of the rearview and blind spots, seating position is awkward (maybe I need more time adjusting), manual seat adjustments-really?! 🙂 no parking sensors and poor backup camera quality.
    Maybe I am a little too critical coming from a 2018 X6 that I drive everyday 🙂 I really want to like this car, especially it's staying with us for the next 3 years of lease.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duercos; 05-20-2019 at 12:22 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Any turbos that don't come with the B-Type rim that the US R-Spec has (fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires, as you mentioned) seem to come with Nexen N'Priz AH8 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargoose View Post
    Any turbos that don't come with the B-Type rim that the US R-Spec has (fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires, as you mentioned) seem to come with Nexen N'Priz AH8 tires.
    Yes I see now. Thinking to swap them for contis dws06 235/40/18. Do you think it will be a good fit?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

A plug-in tuner is never going to give you the same performance as a real ECU tune. I'd hesitate to spend that kind of money, when you can get a real tune for just a little more. You'll probably be happy with the DSW06. I swapped my factories for the cheaper contactcontrol sport a/s (like $140/tire exclusive at discount) and it made a marked improvement in the harshness of the ride and toned down the road noise just a tad.

That said, I also wouldn't be modding a lease, but that's just my 2 cents.
    nvyseal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Duercos View Post
    Yes I see now. Thinking to swap them for contis dws06 235/40/18. Do you think it will be a good fit?
    The tire is wider, but has the same aspect ratio, meaning the overall diameter will go up slightly (1.2%, moving from 25.1" to 25.4"). I don't see this being an issue as far as contact with anything in the wheel well, but will result in a very small speedometer error (your speed will read a bit lower than actual).

8. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements