1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wargoose
  • 1 Post By mago_veloster

Thread: Sway bar diameters between 2.0, Turbo, N

Question Sway bar diameters between 2.0, Turbo, N

Hi all,

I have a question regarding sway bar configuration between the different trims.

First, here are the stock sway bar diameters of each trim (from Hyundai Canada):
    2.0: Front 23mm; Rear 16mm?
    Turbo: Front 24mm; Rear 19mm
    N: Front 21mm; Rear (anyone knows?)

My question is: why N has a much narrower/weaker front sway bar than the two lower trims?

a) Is it to minimize understeering? (instead of increasing rear sway bar diameter/strength, decrease the front one)
    b) Is it because the N chassis has been reinforced. So the sway bar can be weaker to have the same effect?
    c) Or is it because the one in N is using a different/stronger material where N's 21mm is as strong as Turbo's 24mm?

What would be your educated guess?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I will let Albert Biermann (who is responsible for the new N division from Hyundai) answer that with a quote from an interview:

Does the optional Performance Package have a smaller diameter front anti-roll bar to make the Veloster N understeer less?

"Yes, we had a little bit of power understeer, so we managed this by reducing the size of the front anti-roll bar. I checked the tires of all the track cars yesterday, and the tire wear is fantastic. We changed the balance a little bit, front to rear. And dynamically, with the damping, that’s the good part. With dynamic roll support we can independently tune front and rear. So dynamically it works nicely."
    visx likes this.

Thanks Wargoose for the quote from the (Bier)mann.

So to reduce understeering on the Turbo, an option would be to swap the 24mm front bar with a 23mm from the 2.0 (or the 21mm from the N). I think it would probably be a better route than stiffening the rear bar.

I have read an article about the Elantra GT N line that, comparing with the GT Sport, the N line front sway bar is 1mm smaller in diameter; and 3mm larger at the rear. So maybe the GT Sport has 24 front/16 rear. And they tuned the GT N line to use 23/19?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Softening up the front and making the rear stiffer both work towards the same result, but in the opposite way.

Smaller front = better front traction, specifically when applying power in a turn

Larger rear = sharper weight transfer in the rear, easier to get the rear to slip around, specifically when lifting off the power or braking

Both create a car that is easier to rotate, but not exactly the same dynamic. In a car with less power like the 2.0, you can get away with a stiffer front end without losing the ability to put down power.
    visx likes this.

Thanks mago_veloster for the explanation.

Since VT has more power than 2.0, won't it be logical for the VT to be equipped with smaller front sway bar than the 2.0? So that the front will have more traction for the turbo engine.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements