1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Crispy
  • 2 Post By Crispy

Thread: Replaced Shift Knob on my 2019 R-spec

Replaced Shift Knob on my 2019 R-spec

So I didn't like how cold the aluminum shift knob was on these freezing cold mornings. That and the knob got all slippery and moist when I put my hand on it.

So I found this knob at Sickspeed. It comes in the appropriate thread pattern (10 x 1.25) and color (yellow to match my accents) and shift pattern and weight. It is called the Suzuka something or other. Didn't actually see it on their website, but I called and a nice young lady at Sickspeed found it in stock and got it shipped out on the same day.

20181231_203952.jpg

I've found an adapter on ebay that I've ordered to fill in the gap and replace the jam nut:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371964491424

I will add that I personally like the added height it gives to the shift lever. I know that defeats some of the purpose of a short throw, but I found the shifting to be easier for me.

My plan was to go back to the all metal knob when the weather turns warm, but for now I really like this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gabriel.M890 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Not bad for a temporary solution...

20190102_135503.jpg

I went to Ace Hardware and got a 10mm x 1.25 (fine thread) JAM nut. Jam nuts are about half as thick as the standard nut that came with the shift knob. Using this nut allows the shift knob to sit lower.

Then I got a black plastic chair leg cover with the 1 1/8" opening. The top of our reverse lockout is about 27-28mm. MORE than the standard 25mm. Put a 10mm hole dead center and put it OVER the jam nut. The opening on the bottom extends all the way down to the reverse lockout but allows the reverse lockout to slide up and down perfectly.

I've got commercially made aluminum ones coming, but this will work until then.
    Last edited by Crispy; 01-02-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    RPW00Mirage and Gabriel.M890 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements