1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Thread: New here

New here

Hey there, new here just bought a 2019 rspec and im loving the car. I can say i have noticed third gear is a bit more notchy than when i first got the car. And the ticking from the GDI engine is way louder than i expected but i do love the car. Does anyone know if the airbox flap mod applies here? Ive noticed when getting on the gas quick and hard theres a hesitation then it takes off. I have less than 1500miles on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forums I have a 13 so i really can't help you
    Ultimate Elite White VT A/T • Window Tint: 35% Front 30% Back • Vogue Signature V Tires • OEM Mudguards • Short Ram Intake • Pierce Motorsports VT-ONE Series Chromoly Strutbrace • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust • Turbosocks FMIC • ADD1 BOV BTRcc Custom Tune

밥솥

Welcome! Sounds more like normal turbo lag to me.
    Veloster Pilot
    2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI S
    1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I wasnt sure if that was it or not. Im used to having no boost then turbo kicks in on other cars. This feels like no boost, boost start build and immediately drops off for a second then full blast and power. Either way still a fun car just hoping to smooth it out. When it comes to mods for 19 and up, Where do i look? Have they made many changes to the motor since the last VT.

Blog Entries
    I have a 2016 VT w/7 speed DCT and there are sometimes when i step on it nothing seems to be there.
    Most I believe to be the communication between the DCT and the ECU.
    For instance your come off the throttle then step on it, when you come off throttle the ECU thinks that a downshift is coming up then you go and change that gear that was waiting to go to to a up shift.
    This is a big lag before its sorted out,I have notice little turbo lag.
    While none of this applies to the R spec which only comes in a 6 speed manual I believe.
    This is the only thing that i dislike about the Veloster turbo.
    Wow i really did digress!
    The 2019 Veloster has a new platform for all models but the NAV went from a non turbo 1.6 liter engine to a 2 liter while the Turbo's got the same 1/6 GDI engine i believe .
    The new N model Veloster got a new 2 liter making 250 and 275 HP for the performance package.
    Eddie

There are a couple of differences w the new 1.6 that I've heard of. Higher compression ratio and an "overboost" feature that has been added to the R spec when in "Sport" mode.

I also have the R spec and it is quite the refinement over my '13 NAV. Still learning the ins and outs for sure but am enjoying the car immensely.
    Later!

Boneman

'19 R spec, Thunder Grey - "Greystone"

I have a 19 R spec and it does the same thing, just as u described. No idea why, but I figure I would see what its like after a few mods. Currently 600 miles on it.

Is the hesitation still present in sport mode? I have noticed the Veloster is much more eager in sport and the turbo spools quicker.

Hmmm, I'll have to check. Sport mode is easy more fun to drive. I've noticed with mine, on the highway (straight road), I constantly have to twitch the steering wheel. Does urs do that? I've also noticed that sport mode doesn't work until the engine warms up.

I haven't noticed the need to twitch the wheel at all, it tracks straight regardless of mode. I have had a couple of instances where Lane Keep Assist has misread the lines and that has required more intervention in sport mode. Sport mode won't make much of a difference until the engine is warmed up, you need to have the engine oil warm to build boost properly, so the overboots function won't work. Even in regular mode you can tell the car is not as quick to spool when the engine is cold, it is more noticeable if you add an aftermarket intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Spc309 View Post
    Hmmm, I'll have to check. Sport mode is easy more fun to drive. I've noticed with mine, on the highway (straight road), I constantly have to twitch the steering wheel. Does urs do that? I've also noticed that sport mode doesn't work until the engine warms up.
    My '19 Turbo feels the same way on the highway. I turned off the Lane Keeping Assist and that made it a little better. Almost 3,000 miles on mine and I am getting used to it. High winds here in Pa over the last couple of days have exacerbated the problem but the good things about the car far out weigh the slight "twitchy-ness".

NOTE: With four adults in the car (extra weight) the twitchy nature of the car (being so light and very rigid structure) virtually disappears.
    Doc Bo

2019 Veloster Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by ReedMan71 View Post
    My '19 Turbo feels the same way on the highway. I turned off the Lane Keeping Assist and that made it a little better. Almost 3,000 miles on mine and I am getting used to it. High winds here in Pa over the last couple of days have exacerbated the problem but the good things about the car far out weigh the slight "twitchy-ness".

NOTE: With four adults in the car (extra weight) the twitchy nature of the car (being so light and very rigid structure) virtually disappears.
    That's interesting. I have yet to notice any twitchiness with mine. I have LKA set to Active and it works phenomenally, if it wouldn't shut off when I take my hands off the wheel, I could drive for miles without having to make an input.

I have also noticed the afore mentioned pause in power under moderate to firm acceleration in multiple gears in both driving modes.

16. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements