1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Thread: How does the N's LSD work?

How does the N's LSD work?

Can anyone point me to some technical information about the LSD or other detailed explanations about what this car's platform is being borrowed from? I'm doing some research into a new vehicle and the N meets my criteria on paper and it seems to get a lot of praise these days. Is there a FSM floating around yet? I'm kinda cautious about GDI motors, but they seem to be all we have these days unless you want 2X the injector systems. All the whizbang doodads like active dampening suspension and exhaust note customization seem like just unnecessary items targeted to a generation of video gamers. Nobody makes simple and raw vehicles anymore. Not a knock on the car, it looks tight, but for $30k, I want to know exactly what I'm getting and how it compares.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
    Can anyone point me to some technical information about the LSD or other detailed explanations about what this car's platform is being borrowed from? I'm doing some research into a new vehicle and the N meets my criteria on paper and it seems to get a lot of praise these days.
    The Veloster is a hybrid platform that has the Elantra GT Sports front suspension but a different multi-link rear suspension. The LSD is electrically controlled.

Is there a FSM floating around yet?
    ??? Flying Spaghetti Monster?

I'm kinda cautious about GDI motors, but they seem to be all we have these days unless you want 2X the injector systems. All the whizbang doodads like active dampening suspension and exhaust note customization seem like just unnecessary items targeted to a generation of video gamers. Nobody makes simple and raw vehicles anymore. Not a knock on the car, it looks tight, but for $30k, I want to know exactly what I'm getting and how it compares.
    NOt sure if the GDI in the Veloster has 2 sets of injectors or not but a good aftermarket oil catch can should alleviate most of the buildup issues on the valves.

Factory Service Manual

So is a catch can the popular way of catching all the PCV oil coming back into the intake? I've never run one. I've had a couple turbo cars (WRX and MSM) and a couple of the other popular platforms like the tC and S2K. I'm fairly mechanically experienced doing engine stuff (rebuilds, etc), but inexperienced when it comes to drivetrain, diffs, and LSDs and kinda favor the simplicity of mechanical solutions like the Torsen over the electro(magnetic?) or viscous coupling activation or using your brakes to control an open diff. I'd rather sacrifice a little power for durability and not relying on tricks.

I dont think the GDI has dual injection like the F20 Subiyota Atkinson cycle engine and being the Theta platform is part of that World Standard concept that are in a lot of other cars. There can be some serious differences between components though like the rods, valves, springs, pistons, etc but still be the same motor.

Has anyone cracked a block apart for inspection yet? Who's making the trans or are they a carry over from another platform for this car?

I think what I like most about the N is that while its complicated, its still the simplest car offering a hatch with unoffensive styling at the price.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I'm not trying to start an argument, so lets not get too offended here. I get how these features generally work. I am mechanically inclined. What I'm looking for are information on who makes these items, what else they're in and if they have any particular history of problems, etc. I doubt they're just in this car. This car is reviewed a lot, but nobody is really examining the engineering. For instance, the exhaust has anti-lag or something like it, which I'm curious if this will reduce turbo life. I wish somebody would do a breakdown of the internals like others have done on ej257 subarus or the 1.5/2.0 Honda motors and cars.

I dont get the electronic exhaust control....seems like something they could forgo to the keep the costs down. They went out of their way to put existing brakes from a larger model on this without resorting to Brembo trinkets like everyone else. I feel like they're trying to pander to a specific demographic here with all the infotainment junk that most cars have nowadays. The adjustable suspension is cool, but again, something else expensive to fix down the road.

This IS a GDI motor and IIRC, there were still recalls on the ThetaII for carbon. You will want to run a catch can in the long term because nobody has come up with an intelligent way to deal with the PCV vapors. I wonder if the cleaning chemicals they'll be running in the future are as bad for the turbo and cat as it has been on the ecoboost motors. A few people have had their turbos and cats ruined by running that stuff through them.

Whats the maintenance going to be like? Is this thing chain or belt driven? TBH, for this kind of car with a 100k warranty, its a no brainer if they're going to honor their agreement.

Are you saying this motor is NOT the 2.0 in the Genesis?

So, if the i30 and VN are specific to this motor and features, how are they different from the other 2.0 T motors? Are there different pistons, sodium filled valves, special spring rates, etc?
    Is there a FSM for the i30 floating around?

All I can find about this car is all the oohs and aaahs over the racer persona as everyone is in love with it, but the styling can't be the only gripe.

Also, being that its relatively new, 275 is really not "that" much power for a motor this size and age. My wife's '10 RDX makes about that much power (and torque too). I wonder how much more power is safely attainable before things like the clutch and axles suffer. You can get this much power out of a Civic Si now (well, if you upgrade the clutch properly).

Thanks

Thread cleaned warnings given

Be respectful to each other
    Ultimate Elite White VT A/T • Window Tint: 35% Front 30% Back • Vogue Signature V Tires • OEM Mudguards • Short Ram Intake • Pierce Motorsports VT-ONE Series Chromoly Strutbrace • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust • Turbosocks FMIC • ADD1 BOV BTRcc Custom Tune

밥솥

9. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements