1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Michael8088
  • 1 Post By RPW00Mirage
  • 1 Post By RPW00Mirage
  • 1 Post By Ncar4me
  • 1 Post By RPW00Mirage

Thread: New member and new "N" signing in

New member and new "N" signing in

Picked this up locally (southeast TN), got a great deal on it, it's the base model which is fine with me, got it for a little over 26k and they went over clean trade on my trade in, but it was super nice and really low mileage so it stands to reason. Anyways, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions, I'll try the search function first I promise Look forward to being part of the community! Oh, I got more looks in this car on the way home, it was almost embarrassing, maybe cause I'm an old fart in a flashy car, dunno but it was kind of cool... Not sure why my pics aren't showing, they did in the new member introductions section?

IMG_20190422_164001541_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190422_163910069_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190422_163925190.jpg
    Last edited by Michael8088; 04-22-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: pic question

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Okay, just took the new car down some of my favorite roads and am happy to say that the car is just superb, I can't imagine needing the PP equipped car, I'm sure it's better but I am more than happy with my base car. I have a Miata set up for auto cross and back road blasting, it goes around corners better but is lacking the refined feel of the VT, I know that if you dial the VT up in 3rd on a curvy backroad, you better know the road because things happen quick, my miata makes probably 105 whp so it's a huge difference in acceleration to say the least. Anyways, this is the second time I've rambled on, can you tell I like my new car

Welcome, Michael8088! Keep rambling! Not too many posts so far about the N so the comments are good to hear. Nice pix, too! Glad you're enjoying it!
    ​APRIL 2017 VOTM
    2012 Ironman Silver, Style and Tech, purchased 10-17-2011
    Born on date: 08-22-2011
    Hyundai USA recall/service bulletins by VIN: https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome
    Join Google Fi get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/JX91JH 6-15 GB data fixed $60/mo
    https://www.hyundaimpgclasssettlement.com
    2nd Gen/2019 Veloster forum: https://www.veloster.org/forum/177-second-generation/

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

welcome to the club!
    Michael8088 likes this.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!
    TK.COM CAI/catback - Nameless poly motor mount - BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - CF filler cap
    Hawk ceramic pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar

2001 Emerald Green Metallic Kia Rio Manual
    Overhauled suspension - H&R springs - 1Gb control arms / torsion rods

A6D 1.6L DOHC swap complete! - new hubs/knuckles/brakes next.

Thanks guys, I'm super thrilled with the car and the forum!!

Nice- got same (in red) as a 'sport/sporty cars should be manual w/rwd, maybe awd, def not fwd kinda guy' I continue to amazed at how well it manages the power and GRIPS, my lord does the front end hold on with tenacity with almost 0 tq steer. I'm having a tough time finding its limit on public roads without genuine fear of arrest! Its truly a fun car to drive and very livable to commute in normal or even sport mode but man this thing comes alive with that N button huh? Its not the tail happy brz I thought for sure I'd be touting at this point but in many ways its actually better...faster, cheaper, more usable and adjustable, oh and the warranty.
    Hey Michael- what fuel you running so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Ncar4me View Post
    Nice- got same (in red) as a 'sport/sporty cars should be manual w/rwd, maybe awd, def not fwd kinda guy' I continue to amazed at how well it manages the power and GRIPS, my lord does the front end hold on with tenacity with almost 0 tq steer. I'm having a tough time finding its limit on public roads without genuine fear of arrest! Its truly a fun car to drive and very livable to commute in normal or even sport mode but man this thing comes alive with that N button huh? Its not the tail happy brz I thought for sure I'd be touting at this point but in many ways its actually better...faster, cheaper, more usable and adjustable, oh and the warranty.
    Hey Michael- what fuel you running so far?

Thanks, I like the red, had they had one, it would've been a tough decision but the blue is growing on me. I have a miata with light mods that I do some auto cross with, I thought it wouldn't even be close in the handling dept but the VT really holds it's own, I can drive the Miata better cause I'm more used to it but dang, the VT does a damn good job, I tried to get it to understeer in a hard right hander, I could've gone a little faster but man, it stuck like glue at that speed and I wasn't going slow by any means, needless to say, I'm am more than happy with the handling. I did drop the pressures down to 32 front and 30 rear, still playing with them. Yeah, I'm usually in custom "N" mode, I've soften the steering and suspension a little and backed down the rev match two notches, sorry, I forget the correct terms to use but you get the point, in full "N" mode, the steering is pretty stiff and the car over bumps at 60'ish feels like it's bucking a little so I'll use that mode for ultra smooth roads. I'd like to also add that I'm also impressed with how docile the car is in standard and eco modes, it's just quiet and such an easy driving little car, I'm blown away by it's versatility, I'm no car expert, I know more about motorcycles but I know enough to know that it's a special little car. OH, to answer your question, I'm still running the cheap 87 that the dealer put in it, I watched him do it so I know that's what's in the car, I'll try 93 next, then 89, I'd like a little insight on this to be honest, I've heard different stories about 89 vs 93 octane.

you'd be best to run the higher octane gas. the ECU will compensate for the higher octane which means slightly better performance, cleaner burn, etc.
    Michael8088 likes this.

Yeah I typically run Shell regular in my others that don't recommend/require premium but thinking BJs premium or Shell 89. Gotta say little shady of Hyundai on this no mention of anything until you RTFM which yeah you def should but for fueling it should say something if premium is what it 'wants'. Those pressures seem pretty low to me Michael- ride quality gains I'm sure but I'd think you're hurting handling, fe and putting those 18s at somewhat higher risk in the process.
    Michael8088 likes this.

i'm running 91 and 93 octane in my VT... Shell only if i can help it.
    Michael8088 likes this.

You pics show for me. Looks good.

Any idea why I can't open up my pics in the first post of this thread, it says I have to be logged in? Pretty sure I am.

Edit: it was just the first photo, I'll try to load it again here.

IMG_20190422_164001541_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Michael8088; 05-01-2019 at 08:11 PM.

15. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements