1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

Thread: I have replaced 4 coil packs in less than 15,000 miles.

I have replaced 4 coil packs in less than 15,000 miles.

2013 Veloster Turbo 41,200 miles completely stock. I am wondering if this is a common issue or if anyone else has experienced this, any input is appreciated.
    P0300, P0301, P0302

When I bought the car it was fine for a couple months at first, then I started having a lot of misfires and through troubleshooting was able to identify two of the coil packs as the problem.

And now less than 1 year from that initial repair, and less than 10,000 miles later, I just had to buy 2 more packs and they arent necessarily cheap either at $120 a piece.
    Hyundai's main customer service line says there is a known issue with the software, recall # 182, that might be the cause of this. But the local dealership techs are less than helpful. When I asked them about the expected life of a coilpack they just shrugged and told me that they sell a lot of them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

There is no way a software update can be connected to a spark plug coil pack failure even though they are both ignition related.

2013 IRONMAN SILVER VT-AT ULTIMATE

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-D View Post
    There is no way a software update can be connected to a spark plug coil pack failure even though they are both ignition related.

Sorry but the guys at the dealership and on the phone with Hyundai customer care disagree with you. There are plenty of articles about this software issue having an effect on ignition if you search "recall 182"

One such example: Hyundai Recalls Vehicles for Premature Ignition

"Hyundai Motor America is recalling 16,487 2013 Veloster vehicles that are equipped with 1.6 liter turbo engines.
    The engine management software may cause premature ignition (pre-ignition) of the air/fuel mixture in the engine. The resulting excessive cylinder pressure may damage the engine.

Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will update the engine management software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 13."

Faulty software mishandling ignition can definitely contribute to the failure of an electrical component.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Faulty software mishandling ignition can definitely contribute to the failure of an electrical component.
    Software affecting "pre-ignition" doesn't have anything to do with software affecting/fixing a failing coil pack. What you're quoting does not back up your conclusion. The fact that the last two coils failed 10k miles after the first two isn't surprising in the least, you'd typically replace them all, just like you'd replace spark plugs.

I have 49,000 miles on my 2013 Turbo and I haven't had an issue yet! I replaced spark plugs at 45K. Caff1911 I have not been aware of

the recall yet. I am taking my V in for service this Saturday and I will inquire about the recall.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements