Veloster Forum banner

Master / Slave Cylinder leaking or going bad

21K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  karim.dawkins86 
#1 ·
Today I had my 1st problem with my VT. Exactly a year from the day I bought her...LOL!!! I was backing out of a parking spot & my clutch stayed stuck all the way in...I pumped it a few times, but it wouldn't pop back out. Reached down & yanked it up. Looks like my slave cylinder is either leaking or going bad. It's happened twice now, so I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday. Just wanted to post my experience here in case anyone else ever encounters this problem. Dealer should replace master cylinder free of charge. I'll update the outcome Monday after my visit with the dealer...Going to try to talk the service manager into upgrading my shifter knob to the 2014 because mine is starting to peel. :cool:

#3 ·
is it like this?

Possible causes:

Some gear oil is seeping into the clutch assembly, they need to rip it apart to find out what's really going on.

Dealer will pull the tranny. See it was leaking inside (while looking in through where the input shaft goes). Dealer not allowed to break it open so Hyundai approved all new assembly (clutch, slave cylinder, etc).

I sure hope you won't be needing a new clutch after having this happen

Reactions: Incognito
#5 ·
Update mr jgunz?

#6 ·
Sorry guys...Crazy busy day yesterday! Had my Monday Meeting at work, then got a call that my son was sick, then I had my appointment at the dealer. They checked to see if it was leaking & there were no signs of leaks, so they ordered me a New Master Cylinder. It will be here Thursday & they will keep my baby over night & provide me with a loaner. I'm going to try to convince them to loan me a Gen. I'm going to tell them I was thinking of buying one, so wanted to know if I could get one as my loaner :p I have 22K miles & all repairs are covered under my warranty. Zero out of pocket costs :D

#8 ·
are they charging you extra for the shifter knob?

#10 ·
Picked my car up from the dealer yesterday & she felt good. The clutch actually feels better than the 1st day I bought her, but sadly today the clutch got stuck again. That means I have to take her back to the dealer when I get back from Tampa next week :( I wonder wtf it is now?! They put a brand new master cylinder. I wonder if it's something with the actual pedal :confused:

#13 ·
Sorry you're headed for the shop again...slave would be the next stop.

Or maybe you need to stop working legs so much and focus on upper body only if you're stomping the clutch so hard that you're driving it into the floorboards ;)
Yup! That's what I told them to check 1st. The service manager checked the slave for leaks, but he said all looked good, so they changed the master cylinder. I'll be taking my car back as soon as I get to Miami :(

#16 ·
Now I'm Confused o.0 lol

#30 · (Edited)
BUMP/ Update. So it happened again yesterday. They changed the Master Cylinder a few weeks ago & yesterday my car left me stranded. Clutch stayed stuck in & this time it wouldn't pop back out, so obviously it wasn't the Master Cylinder. Dealer just called me back & they said they dropped the tranny & low & behold, it was the slave cylinder...What I told them it was from the get go! Part will be here by Saturday & car should be ready by Monday.

#33 ·
Please have them look at the wear on your clutch and have them document its condition

Reactions: JGunz18
#35 ·
Since its out, they can do a visual. 5-10% nothing to worry about, 40% could be a potential problem. Never the less, It will give you a good indicator of how well your clutch is holding up.

and...

Safeguard you in case it goes out after this work is performed.

Call it preventive maintenance and covering all bases

Reactions: JGunz18 and autox17
#38 ·
Picked up my baby yesterday. They changed the slave cylinder inside the tranny. OMG my clutch feels like a feather now. So soft! I think my car had a problem from day 1. From day one I always thought my clutch was pretty hard, but just figured that's how the clutch was. Now that they repaired the issue I almost had to relearn to drive my car. Feels so nice & smooth now! Love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.