1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: DCT Transmission fliud change

DCT Transmission fliud change

Anyone have any knowledge of this? I ask because when I took mine to the dealer for an oil change a few months back, I asked them about servicing the DCT in the future. The response I got from the dealer was that they have no way to do it. He claimed that the DCT was a fully contained unit and there was no drain or fill hole. I thought this sounded strange. I looked in my manual and it clearly states that for those of us in harsh environments should change the fluid every 75k miles. WTF?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Your dealer was wrong in that there are fill and drain holes/plugs in the DCT transmission.
    From the hyundaitechinfo.com website for 2012 Veloster in the DCT section:

This is the note from the Inspection(trans fluid) sub-section:
    "In principle, the transmission oil is maintenance-free, and no exchange is required.
    But it must be inspected and replenished every 4 years or 40,000 miles
    ."

This is the note from the Replacement(trans fluid) sub-section:
    "In principle, the DCT oil is not changed under normal driving conditions.
    However, under harsh driving conditions, it must be changed every 80,000 miles.
    Harsh driving conditions are as follows:
    • High frequency driving on rough roads (bumpy roads, sand and gravel roads, snow-covered roads, and unpaved roads)
    • Frequent driving on mountain trails and inclines
    • In case the vehicle is used as a police vehicle, taxi, or for commercial or towing purposes
    • Frequent high speed driving (over 170 km/h)
    • In case of driving 50% or more of the total mileage in hot temperatures above 32°C(90°F) and congested traffic
    "

There are diagrams in both sections showing the locations of the plugs and also instructions on how to check the fluid condition and replace the fluid.

I assume that there is an internal filter of some sort that screens any debris that gets in to the fluid. I plan to change my fluid at some interval, idk 30,40, or 50k... And if you are in the group that does an early initial oil change to get rid of the debris that gets into the factory fill of engine oil, then you might consider doing an early transmission fluid change to get any metal shavings or other debris from the trans break in period.
    Last edited by sc.veloster; 09-27-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Master Procrastinator.
    White with Red & Black, Style and Tech

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling something did not sound right. It does to show the lack of knowledge some of the dealer have about the DCT.

Fluid for the DCT is 1.9liters(2 qts) of API GL-4, SAE 75W/85 (fill for-life) HYUNDAI genuine transaxle fluid.

Only 2 quarts - I think I'll replace the fluid here in the next few weekends
    Master Procrastinator.

The 2 quart capacity somewhat surprised me too. But, I guess that minute quantity is commensurate with the 3.5 quart engine capacity. The latter's availability for engine lubrication and cooling is further diminished when the volume of oil in the filter is subtracted. It makes me wonder how much oil is actually in the sump when the engine is running. When changing the oil, it looks as if the sump/pan is very shallow, certainly not the several-inches-deep pans of my V6 & V8 engines.

I just called my dealer to find out about pricing and availability of the fluid. He quoted me $18 a quart!!!! I about fell over. I asked him why the high price and he couldn't answer. They didn't have any in stock(for him to go see if there were gold flakes floating in it). On my Chrysler, the ATF and differential fluids run from $6 to $9 a quart for the Mopar branded stuff they use.

I can only assume Hyundai(or my dealer specifically) is using the same pricing strategy they use on their cabin and air filters(which are outrageously expensive)
    Master Procrastinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The 2 quart capacity somewhat surprised me too. But, I guess that minute quantity is commensurate with the 3.5 quart engine capacity.
    Hey Curmudgeon, the tranny is my, ahem, "other car" only takes 2.25 quarts, but it's a M/T, not auto or DCT. The crank case in "that car" is only 4.5 quarts and it turns north of 10k rpm!

Quote Originally Posted by sc.veloster View Post
    ...I can only assume Hyundai(or my dealer specifically) is using the same pricing strategy they use on their cabin and air filters(which are outrageously expensive)
    I'm just thankful that the Hyundai vehicles (in toto) are reasonably priced and the superb OEM oil filters are a true bargain at ~$6.00. The only other dealer product that I'm familiar with is the rebadged Techron Concentrate at ~$13 dealer's price which is available at ~$8 on sale at chain vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    Hey Curmudgeon, the tranny is my, ahem, "other car" only takes 2.25 quarts, but it's a M/T, not auto or DCT. The crank case in "that car" is only 4.5 quarts and it turns north of 10k rpm!
    I suspect that modern engine oil and coolant system capacities are carefully engineered as a means of controlling engine warm-up times, etc. as part of the overall emissions control strategy.

The DCT fluid is not ATF, it is gear oil. I believe the DCT runs on two dry plate clutches, the lube is just for the gears.
    In comparison, Yamalube gear oil for outboards runs about $20/qt.

In our cars, I can't think of a reason to change the gear oil, at least not until you are hitting 6-digits on the odo.
    Crap, I sold the 509hp Mustang on 9/22
    http://dreammustang.com/
    ~Oh well, still have the slow red one and the Veloster~

Hi, I'am new to the forum..please help i am trying to locate the transmission fill and drain holes for my 2012 veloster

can someone please help. thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    So is the DCT. Manual all the way with shift solenoids and a computer to activate the clutches and change the gears.

Sent in comfort from the front seat of my 2012 Boston Red Velostor. Loving life!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeylanii_12 View Post
    Hi, I'am new to the forum..please help i am trying to locate the transmission fill and drain holes for my 2012 veloster

can someone please help. thanks guys!!
    Read the previous posts.

Sent in comfort from the front seat of my 2012 Boston Red Velostor. Loving life!

Sorry to bring up an old post up, but I was at the dealer doing my 30k oil change and tire rotation and they gave me a generic service pamphlet and recommended I do the 30k mile service, particularly the transmission drain and fluid (5 qts). The price for just the transmission drain and fluid was $160. Seeing how there are diagrams online at Hyundaitech, and curious if anyone has done this, I wanted to know how hard it was to actually do this ourselves? I mean, $160 is nuts.

I feel we may want to do it, particularly if we drive the DCT hard, but that's a nut right there for $160.
    CasaNova likes this.

You're doing the 30K change or 30000 mile change? If you are thinking of doing it at 30 000km, i say its a bit early. I change my transmission fluid at the 48 000km (major service) and it wasn't too dirty. There was a slight brownish colour but not black like your engine oil. The DCT transmission is not bad and its pretty expensive. Eventhough its not too dirty, I'm stick with changing it every 50 000km. If you take it a reputable shop, cost about 70$ to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by J3Vr6 View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old post up, but I was at the dealer doing my 30k oil change and tire rotation and they gave me a generic service pamphlet and recommended I do the 30k mile service, particularly the transmission drain and fluid (5 qts). The price for just the transmission drain and fluid was $160. Seeing how there are diagrams online at Hyundaitech, and curious if anyone has done this, I wanted to know how hard it was to actually do this ourselves? I mean, $160 is nuts.

I feel we may want to do it, particularly if we drive the DCT hard, but that's a nut right there for $160.

to be clear, I meant 30,000 MILE service...

I recommend you to do it. But "according to manual" transmission fluid does not need to replaced until like 120 000km. But if you drive hard or just want to baby it, i say change it now for a peace of mind.

to be clear, I meant 30,000 MILE service...

if you think $160 is nuts, be glad you don't drive a Mitsi Lancer. My friend was told it would cost around $1000 to do his at the dealer. I did some research on it and I can see why. on a lancer dct there are 3 drain hole and a filter, about 10L of fluid will be needed. my cost on the oil (I'm a tech) was $30/L, list was about $60/L

if you think I'm kidding:
    SSP EVO X Pro Gold Transmission Fluid - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
    2012 Boston Red Veloster 138 HP 123 Ft Lbs torque
    Just enough torque to tighten the wheel nuts on a truck

Looks like it's pretty simple to do on the Veloster. There is a filler plug on the front that you can reach from underneath. There is a drain plug at the bottom. 1.9 liters. The only problem I see is having the car level enough to drain all the oil out if you're on ramps (ie. you don't have access to a lift). Service manual shows it pretty detailed. I may want to do this since I autoX the car.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipes View Post
    You're doing the 30K change or 30000 mile change? If you are thinking of doing it at 30 000km, i say its a bit early. I change my transmission fluid at the 48 000km (major service) and it wasn't too dirty. There was a slight brownish colour but not black like your engine oil. The DCT transmission is not bad and its pretty expensive. Eventhough its not too dirty, I'm stick with changing it every 50 000km. If you take it a reputable shop, cost about 70$ to do it.
    My dealer also asked me to change it during my last 54000km oil change visit. Their maintenance schedule list showed that the transmission fluid should be change at 48000km. But they didn't ask me during my last 48000km schedule maintenance service. So i think i'll let them do it at the next oil change (60000km) together.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast