Veloster Forum banner

I think I have bad engine problems

15K views 57 replies 11 participants last post by  TooGqForYou 
#1 ·
I have a 12 veloster NA AT a few months ago I took it to the dealer to be looked at it had a jackhammerish noise going up hills and when I would turn the car off. They said I need a new transmission and the warranty wouldn't cover it because I skipped getting the air cabin filter changed. Yesterday it started making that sound louder and happened between 600 rpm and 2000 rpm while accelerating. I'll try getting an audio clip soon it's probably too windy today but imagine a the sound of sitting in your car while someone is using an impact wrench to remove your tires. Also you can feel it in the petal if that helps.

#2 · (Edited)
Your warranty wont cover it....... because you didn't change the cabin air filter......... Wow. I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from calling them idiots if I were in your shoes.

At any rate, it sounds like your transmission is slipping.

#3 ·
transmission and cabin air filter are unrelated. i would be checking in with another dealer, hyundai corporate, social media, etc.

Reactions: Zach
#5 ·
They said I need a new transmission and the warranty wouldn't cover it because I skipped getting the air cabin filter changed.
I would have drove to a new dealer if they told me that lmao

Probably the best thing I've read today

#20 ·
tuns at the end of the video when it's ideling you can hear that Metallicy rapid slamming sound. Though I have gutted my back cat and bored out my front one the other day I got a cel so I was trying to get the o2 sensor off and put a 90degree spacer on it and it wouldn't come off. That was Sunday and I drove around 60miles before it made that sound Monday night

#25 ·
You fail to include information that might be helpful in determining the cause of your problem and trying to do a diagnosis from a video capture is folly. From the video, I am hesitant to make conclusions but I will say my first impression was that the engine has a lot of miles on it and that it has also been beaten on pretty hard. Maybe you should install some new spark plugs and get an OBD reader to see what codes are popping up.

#26 ·
I feel like I've been mostly easy on it, though some times. This morning before I work I got under it and looked for exhaust leaks didn't find anything I did notice some ticking in my fuel pump on the valve cover with a stethoscope but not the source of the loud noise last night while brain storming with my dad he had a revelation that maybe it's a stuck valve so I found a way to determine if it is, put a price of paper against the tail pipe and if it sucks back to the exhaust than it's a stuck valve so I didn't that after checking my ignition system and it was flapping back and forth sucking to the tail pipe intermittently. Does that seem accurate

#27 · (Edited)
It could be a stuck lifter. You can add some seafoam or some sort of oil additive to your oil to see if that fixes it. If that does fix it and the noise stops, change the oil and make sure to use what the manual recommends, which I think for a NAV is 5W-20 synthetic.