Veloster Forum banner

I think I have bad engine problems

15K views 57 replies 11 participants last post by  TooGqForYou 
#1 ·
I have a 12 veloster NA AT a few months ago I took it to the dealer to be looked at it had a jackhammerish noise going up hills and when I would turn the car off. They said I need a new transmission and the warranty wouldn't cover it because I skipped getting the air cabin filter changed. Yesterday it started making that sound louder and happened between 600 rpm and 2000 rpm while accelerating. I'll try getting an audio clip soon it's probably too windy today but imagine a the sound of sitting in your car while someone is using an impact wrench to remove your tires. Also you can feel it in the petal if that helps.

#29 · (Edited)
Yes. If that doesn't work, pop the valve cover off and make sure all the lifters are working correctly. Just don't start the car with the cover off lol. That would be funny though if you did.

Just bring the car to my house and I'll fix it

#32 ·
I'll just wait it out till I buy a big boy car you know something with a at least a 2.0L and some force induction. I saw you traded for an sti and I've seen a black 98 or 99 I think near my house that looks like a great project car but it scares me buying a used sti cause I'm sure the owners before me ragged it out. In comparison to the veloster how hard is it to work on the subi? On line they make it look simple but that engine seems like it would be more complicated. My first car was a 95 civic ex and that thing was cake to work on and I had no clue what I was doing back then

#34 ·
Thank y'all for the help. I haven't fixed the problem yet but I put seafoam in the oil and booster line and used the intake manifold/valve cleaner an it seemed to help tomorrow I'm taking the intake manifold off and gunna try scraping the valves I've never had them cleaned and wasn't aware that's something you should do regularly.

#37 ·
the factory oil filters are super preferred with hyundai cars. in the past there have been multiple engine failures associated with tiburons, elantras, and sonatas from not using the OEM filter.

#40 ·
well, the reason for using oem filters is that they have a restrictor in them to aid with oil pressure.

#41 ·
Also didn't know I was supposed to use a oem oil filter so I replaced that and changed the oil last night. I saw a video and read some forums that seemed to be the issue but I drove it for about 10 min after and it was still knocking maybe it needs a little more time. hopefully I can get this fixed today.

#46 ·
i dont see anything like that on my car but its a manual.

#47 ·
thanks RPW00mirage. Most things engine i can understand but when i comes to transmissions i don't even try and this dct is way to much for simple me. I'm taking it to a transmission mechanic that has done a lot of work for me in the past. hopefully i can get this fixed for under 2 grand. I destroyed a torque converter a few years ago in a mitsubishi that sent shrapnel through my trans total rebuild. $4k

#48 ·
the DCT is almost too much for hyundai too, lol

and that is nuts! with my mirage i've never paid more than $150 for an entire manual transmission. hell i bought a 1.8L engine for 100 bucks .

#49 ·
I wish I could put a better transmission in there like a slushbox or a turbos manual trans but I know the manual is not possible unless I wanna pay a lot of money. And the slush box idk if it would match up but then I'd have the whole ecu problem:( looks like I'm stuck with the dct.

#50 ·
#53 ·
the knock sensor "listens" for detonation and adjusts timing accordingly to compensate.

#54 ·
lol I know. Suprizingly I'm starting to know this car better than Hyundai. The past 2 weeks I've read everything I can get my hands on this thing knowing very little about about working on this thing to start with. Transmission is still out of my league. But I'm going to try to replace this thing myself. I look it to a very reputable local transmission place and after they did a little diagnosis and pulled some metal out of the bell housing they said for sure it needs a clutch and flywheel but they were warned by some training not to work on them so they declined the work and didn't charge me anything.

#55 ·
as far as i know the DCT is not user serviceable at all. they are a real nightmare...

#57 ·
1: You can try installing the DCT yourself, but it requires a very delicate and precise hand to get the dual clutch assembly in - any slight damage on installation will make the DCT unit fail
2: After that, you have to have that special Hyundai diagnostic program connected so you can set the TCM to "learn" the transmission or you will break the new one
3: How many miles on your car? I want to know how long it took to get those DCT clutches to fail