NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: sparkplugs

sparkplugs

has anyone changed there sparkplugs and or spark plug wires if so what did u go with it and did it make any difference
    manual trans. marathon blue style package-
    injen cold air intake-
    2nd cat delete 2.25" magnaflow exhaust with dual 3" round tips-
    import shark strut bar-
    osram nightbreakers plus low beams-
    nokya hyper yellow fogs-
    front and rear "V" emblems-
    EZ-LIP front spoiler-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I haven't swapped plugs yet in my Veloster but I use NGK V-power's in my GSR. They are cheap enough and work great. Remember that a spark plug is an expendable part and in my opinion can be changed often. I'd swap mine every 6 months or so but in the Veloster I don't see the need to swap them but once a year or 2 since it doesn't turn over 6800 rpm.

do u feel any kind of difference

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    I haven't swapped plugs yet in my Veloster but I use NGK V-power's in my GSR. They are cheap enough and work great. Remember that a spark plug is an expendable part and in my opinion can be changed often. I'd swap mine every 6 months or so but in the Veloster I don't see the need to swap them but once a year or 2 since it doesn't turn over 6800 rpm.
    manual trans. marathon blue style package-
    injen cold air intake-
    2nd cat delete 2.25" magnaflow exhaust with dual 3" round tips-
    import shark strut bar-
    osram nightbreakers plus low beams-
    nokya hyper yellow fogs-
    front and rear "V" emblems-
    EZ-LIP front spoiler-

I was playing with NGK platinum, iridium and V-power coppers one night at the drag strip several years ago. They were all brand new plugs. I was running coppers on the first 2 passes and got my timeslips. I then did nothing else but swap to the platinums and made 3 more passes. I then did nothing else and swapped to the iridiums and made 3 more passes. Then finally I made 2 more passes without changing anything else on the V-power coppers I originally had in the engine. Interestingly enough the platinums and iridiums idled smoother and "seemed" to rev up smoother than the coppers. But, in the end, the coppers were averaging almost .1 second faster on all passes as compared with the other 2 much higher priced sets of plugs. I'm sure there were other variables in the mix but the coppers performed better overall as compared with the other plugs. I'm not the only person at the drags that has noticed that in their high revving engines. Now, this is for an engine running 10k rpm so the same thing may not apply to a 6800 rev-limited engine. But I'd be willing to give it a shot for about $10-12. I can't say I actually "felt" any kind of a difference because if you can actually tell a .1 second difference in the quarter mile I'd say you're not human but a computer, lol. But the timeslips don't lie...
    jkt1954 and BluMeanie like this.

I've Had them out just to Check the gap. They are Irridium Power Plugs which are very good. I did adjust my gap from .28 to .40 which is in factory range of .28- .43. Or 1.0-1.1. Since we have A High Voltage Ignition System, I thought I'd widen the gap alittle.
    VELOSTER APPAREL https://plus.google.com/u/0/100445685402074231306/posts

: Official US Copyright Office Registration Information> Of My Silhouette Named.. "Tuner Car Profile" >> VA0001829171 / 2012-07-14

Typically since the iridium plug is a fine wire plug you don't adjust the gap on them. They're very delicate and you can very easily break the electrode right off. I'm curious how you regapped your's without damaging them? I'm guessing you have a very very steady and delicate hand, like that of a surgeon.

Oh yeah, I've always found that I set the gap at factory spec then widen the gap in very small increments until I start getting misfires. Then drop the gap back .005" smaller and leave it there. You can also effectively advance the timing a bit by using extended reach plugs. Just so long as the piston dome doesn't hit the piston upon dwell @ TDC.

MTD
    I would think that the engine being a GDI that it might require specific plugs.
    '13 VT

Typically since the iridium plug is a fine wire plug you don't adjust the gap on them. They're very delicate and you can very easily break the electrode right off. I'm curious how you regapped your's without damaging them? I'm guessing you have a very very steady and delicate hand, like that of a surgeon.
    My Fueler gage has a tool that lets you open the plug end or bend back the end slightly without butchering or breaking the electrode. I did this slowly until the .40 fit.

: Official US Copyright Office Registration Information> Of My Silhouette Named.. "Tuner Car Profile" >> VA0001829171 / 2012-07-14

And your right on par with this statement: You can also effectively advance the timing a bit by using extended reach plugs. Just so long as the piston dome doesn't hit the piston upon dwell @ TDC. The plugs we have are 2 inches long at the base.

Quote Originally Posted by MTD View Post
    I would think that the engine being a GDI that it might require specific plugs.
    The norm used by VW/Audi That has been using FSI or TFSI which is Direct Injection, Is Irridium Plugs, Because the Smaller Electrode Seems to make a Hotter/Stronger Spark.
    Last edited by Variable; 02-20-2012 at 10:11 PM.

It is very possible a non-copper plug can/will work better in a DI engine. I'm most familiar with PFI engines. I saw no gains with non-copper plugs in those engines. I'm going to look into this as time permits.

So I finally pulled my plugs to check them and never-seize them. They looked nice and clean with 7k miles on them but all 4 gaps were all over the place. .029", .032", .034", and .036". I'm not sure why that is since NGK's are usually within .001" in a set of 4. I'm guessing they have bins and bins of these plugs at the factory and they just toss them all in without checking any gaps. Well, I set all 4 to .040" and went for a test drive. No CEL's no misfires or anything. It seems to run a bit smoother and the mpg's weren't down any. In fact I might have gained some but I think that's being too optimistic too soon. I can't see going 100k on a set of plugs especially without never-seize! So I should be good for a few years unless I decide to swap them out sooner. At least I'll be able to get them out next time too!

All I can tell you from a mechanical standpoint is not to use anything other than Denso or NGK plugs for our make of vehicle. They are made speciffically for the foreign auto market ie: Honda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, etc..
    RayT2 and kingpin_icon63 like this.
    VORTEX

2012 Veloster M/T-Marathon Blue-Tech/Style Package
    Performance Mods:
    - TurboKits.com CAI
    - TurboKits.com ABE
    - NGM Lowering Springs
    - Billet Pro Shop Short Shifter
    - Garage Line 15mm/20mm Wheel Spacers
    - Continental Extreme Contact DWS 215/40ZR18

Interior Mods:
    - 15% Window Tint
    - DiodeDynamics.com Stage 2 Interior Led Kit

Exterior Mods:
    - Rear Emblem Delete
    - Two-Tone Mirrors
    - 8000K HID Low Beams
    - 8000K HID Fog Lights
    - DiodeDynamics.com Stage 3 Plate Lights
    - Vanity Plate: V0RTEX

That's good to know, I need to pull mine and check them!
    Thanks GG!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    2012 Yellow Veloster DCT with Style and Tech package.
    LED Back-up lights.
    Tinted 20% with 15% in both rear windows.
    Hyundai Cargo Tray for Sub-woofer.
    Nokya 881 Arctic Hyper Yellow 2500k Fog Lights
    LED Rear License Plate Lights
    Built 12-5-11 Bought 2-28-12

I couldn't agree more! I tried Bosch in my GSR and what a waste of money! I won't use anything but NGK's on my Hyundai unless Denso has a cheaper plug of like denomination. Typically it seems Denso are a bit more expensive than the NGK's and perform the same in my book.

No problem texascat2. Oh yeah, be careful with the plug in at the fuel pump. It's a little tight there. You've got to gently snake your 5/8" socket around the valve cover breather hose and the fuel pump plug in. I had my ST bar to snake around too but I managed just fine. It took about 20 minutes from running, to plugs out, gapped, and never seized and back to running again.

NGK for the win!
    BluMeanie likes this.
    Keep it gangster.

So I finally pulled my plugs to check them and never-seize them. They looked nice and clean with 7k miles on them but all 4 gaps were all over the place. .029", .032", .034", and .036". I'm not sure why that is since NGK's are usually within .001" in a set of 4. I'm guessing they have bins and bins of these plugs at the factory and they just toss them all in without checking any gaps. Well, I set all 4 to .040" and went for a test drive. No CEL's no misfires or anything. It seems to run a bit smoother and the mpg's weren't down any. In fact I might have gained some but I think that's being too optimistic too soon. I can't see going 100k on a set of plugs especially without never-seize! So I should be good for a few years unless I decide to swap them out sooner. At least I'll be able to get them out next time too!
    Thanks for the advice. I am gonna check my gaps and never seize the plugs. Any helpful hints to getting them out or are they easily accessible?
    Velsoteray - Blue, tech, tinted, totally debadged, black & blue custom paint and vinyl from wheels to roof.

They come out very easily. I use a section of 3/8" hose to slip over the top of the spark plug to remove and reinstall them. I'm not too fond of the 5/8" socket with rubber insert (designed to remove spark plugs) but I'm sure if you have one it will work just fine.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements