NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: sparkplugs

Hey Salvo! I forgot to say there are no spark plug wires to change out. These are COP (coil on plug) design with an individual coil plugged directly onto each spark plug.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Cool Veloster Plugs

OK - I need an NGK or DENSO Spark Plug number - preferably Iridium. All the web sites I used didn't show a number for my 2012 Veloster!

What do you have for mileage on your V? I did some research and the fine wire Iridiums that come stock in our V's are a very VERY good plug for our application and shouldn't need to be replaced for at least a few years...

What GG said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    These plugs last to "105,000 miles or 10 years". Check your maintenance schedule in the manual.

+2
    Unless you are going to use your car for some kind of unusual race application. just leave the iridiums alone, that is why the factory installs them.

On the other hand, dealerships and independent mechanics love it when home-mechanics muck up a spark plug job and strip the threads or drop something into the combustion chamber thru the spark plug hole. Especially if they didn't know it went in and then start their engine up. Big ticket items, customer pay, not warranty, so full rate.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I pulled the platinum plugs from my Toyota at 85,000 miles and they looked like they had about 5000 miles on them. My 6-cyl Mustang I changed the plugs at 95,000 miles (again Platinum) and they were pretty darn perfect, could have gone another 25000 miles.
    Crap, I sold the 509hp Mustang on 9/22
    http://dreammustang.com/
    ~Oh well, still have the slow red one and the Veloster~

Quote Originally Posted by velosteray View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I am gonna check my gaps and never seize the plugs. Any helpful hints to getting them out or are they easily accessible?
    Just a lil' dab'll do ya!

If you over-do it, it can lead to misfires. I've seen it happen - the stuff is essentially the same as the carbon used in plug-wires, and WILL conduct current across the surface of the insulator quite easily if you "fingerprint" the ceramic.
    Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

김치

Quote Originally Posted by XGC KOUP View Post
    All I can tell you from a mechanical standpoint is not to use anything other than Denso or NGK plugs for our make of vehicle. They are made speciffically for the foreign auto market ie: Honda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, etc..
    Koup's alive and lurking in the background......... Good advice also on what to use for these engines. I'll pull mine like GG and do the lil dab will do ya with never seize but those puppies will stay in there for 100k unless a problem arises.

Koup... where's that Axle Back Exhaust for our V's

Ray T

I just got done checking my plugs. Grey Ghost has me whirling today. Anyway, I pulled all 4 plugs and absolutely verified that all 4 of my plugs are all exactly gapped @ .038", verified with flat feeler blades. Per Hyundai HMA (www.hmaservice.com), our non-turbo gap standard is: .0354~.0394 inches. So from factory, with a build date of 9/9/11, the factory plugs were gapped spot-on. Can't vouch for what factory plugs were gapped at before or after this date, but piece of mind is nice. I kept them gapped as-is and simply replaced them after adding a little bit of anti-seize compound on threads.

I pulled mine yesterday to check the gap and they were pretty close. I was shocked at how bad they looked. Just 10k miles and they looked more like 100k. Ive never seen so much carbon in a plug before. Since these are the easiest plugs to get to I've ever encountered I'll probably change them out today. But dang this GDi motors get dirty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

I had definite carbon buildup visual on mine. I have 14,500 miles. I think some buildup is fine and a bit normal - its the electrode you want to look at (rounded, eroding, shorter (gap size), etc). Thinking 30K max for these plugs despite what the manual says. I agree that the GDI engine is a carbon disaster. Just take a look @ tailpipe despite the high mileage we are getting out of this engine. Still thinking in my mind that a catch-can is the real final solution. I'm almost at the trigger point for me on this.

Do you guys have pictures of your plugs? I find it odd that some of you feel that the plugs are too dirty with only 10K on the odometer.

any update on this or links to new plugs? looking at replacing mine or at least pulling them. 43k on them.
    My Veloster<---Click it!

Quote Originally Posted by DeMarioii View Post
    any update on this or links to new plugs? looking at replacing mine or at least pulling them. 43k on them.
    What I would do is... Pull 'em, check their gap, adjust if need be, apply never seize, and re-install. The OEM plugs are exceptional plugs in the NAV's and I'm sure the same hold true with the VT's.

True, but depending on conditions of the plugs ill be putting ix's in. So will see how they look.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    My Veloster<---Click it!

The OEM plugs are Fine Wire Iridiums.

I've read conflicting stories on the other Forum regarding spark plugs. I've heard of people changing them at 15K & others changing them at 30K. I know pretty much all of the newer cars come 100K mile plugs. I searched through my owners manual & couldn't find anywhere where it clearly states when to change, so I went to my buddy over at Napa. He looked the VT up in the system & it said that our plugs are good for 100K miles. Can anybody show me where it states something other than 100K miles?

Bumpity Bump!

Need Veloster performance parts or modifications: Turbosocks
    VSport Oklahoma - Details here
    Featuring parts from-Turbosocks│Pierce Motorsports|Heil Graphics

Help PinkVendetta get her VT. Use 87 octane, and send your savings to her

Sweet...Thanks Wes! I couldn't find it anywhere. I'll probably change mine at 60-70K just cause.

People are changing them on the "other" forum because a run of stock plugs breaking. It is a good idea IMO to check the gap from time to time. I know the Cruze had some bad gapped plugs from the factory.
    JGunz18 likes this.
    Need Veloster performance parts or modifications: Turbosocks
    VSport Oklahoma - Details here
    Featuring parts from-Turbosocks│Pierce Motorsports|Heil Graphics

Help PinkVendetta get her VT. Use 87 octane, and send your savings to her

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements