NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Performance chip?

Performance chip?

Does anyone know if there are performance chips available for the v? I don't know much about chips but they seem like a cheap and easy way to get a small boost in hp. I know they are available for the accent and elantra. Would these be compatible with the v? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

MTD
    No such thing. It is possible to reflash the CPU of many cars, but it's not as simple as a magic chip. As of now, I don't think there is anything available for the Veloster. BTRcc, PowerAxel, Beyond Redline to name a few known Hyundai tuners if you want some reading to do.
    '13 VT

Beware of any "chip" that boasts HP/TQ/MPG gains for anything less than a few hundred $$.. they are almost all scams.

just a re flash nowadays id think if you can find a tuner, I'm sure they know how to make sure it doesn't fall back into factory settings if they're legit Hyundai tuners too, find someone with a dyno who tunes, idk if you'd need a gds to do anything though that'd be a downer

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free

Chips are old news, either new ecu or a tune, and id have at least intake and exhaust before i put down on a tune to make it worth while, stock I'm sure can be improved but free that flow up and tune it you'll see numbers. i haven't heard of anything like upgraded ecus though, I'm sure tuners are hustling on this type of thing for the v though

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Co Free

This isn't entirely true. The folks at COBB make a decent switchable piggyback, albeit not for Hyundais.

But, yes, the "chips" advertised for $60 promising an increase of 300-hp are bogus.

Well i meant they are old news in sense that the v isn't going to get a literal chip but a software update/file i would think right?

Someone could feasibly produce a quality OBD-II piggyback -- the benefit of which is being plug-and-play and easily reversible, at the expense of custom tuning -- but a custom tune is always better.

I used a COBB for a few years with a Stage 2 build and it was actually decent. You could switch back and forth on the fly between different ECU maps such as economy, performance, or for race gas.

I doubt we'll see anything like that for the V, though. I honestly don't know much about the availability of Hyundai tuners. Whatever I've seen has been limited to the Genesis for obvious reasons, but with the TV coming I guess that might change.

Already working on a reflash ;p

Sent from my SCH-R720 using AutoGuide.Com Free
    Boston red style pckge, two tone red/black interior.

Mods-

Lighting- KDM projector, 8000k Hid's, Led wing style reflectors, led map lights, led license plate lights,

Exterior- 18" Enkei evo5 bronze rims, 3m CF grill, blacked out emblems, Red extended lug nuts,

Interior/Electronics- JBL 12" with Intinity amp, V-speeds licenseplate rebadge, removed video while moving mod.

Build Thread
    http://www.veloster.org/forum/10-hyundai-veloster-appearance-body/1509-first-modded-veloster-u-s.htm

Did you say you're working on a reflash? If so, that would be sweet. I'm going to make my intake and exhaust and see where that takes my V. I'm hoping maybe 10 hp combined but won't hold my breath on it. Maybe more like 5 HP total, lol. I'm going to try a minor TB modification too and see if that helps like it did with my GSR. Let us know if you make any progress as I'm interested in a reflash...

I would expect more. The stock intake and exhaust are both horrendously restrictive.
    Stop PM'ing me, I already answered all your questions.

So with nothing more than correcting the intake path and opening up the exhaust without tuning the new variables, you're thinking there is possibly more to be had than 10 HP? I'm not so sure about that with our V's. This 1.6 is no where near as potent as a stock B18C ('98 GSR) so I'm thinking the gains will be more conservative. But, there is always hope. :-)

I see huge potential in this engine, as xan said if you start looking at intake and exhaust you'll realize its almost obnoxiously restricted (think about it, first generation motor on first generation car, Hyundai is saving some easy gains out of this in the future and undoubtedly aren't giving full potential on its release). this thing has air crawling through it its begging to breath. I noticed a nice increase when i installed a cai (someone dyno almost 8hp with a companys cai)working on getting this exhaust done, hoping for 15+hp before a tune, want to get a little lighter fly before tune do i can get the most to the wheels without throwing huge cash in.

Quote Originally Posted by V-speed View Post
    Already working on a reflash ;p

Sent from my SCH-R720 using AutoGuide.Com Free
    I'm honestly really interested to see how this works out. Are you saying a reflash prior to Stage 2? Or after?

Hell, I can already tell I'll be right behind you. Despite swearing I'd not touch the car, here it comes again. At least an intake, exhaust, and tune. The V is almost begging for it.

Like I've said before, I'll be really interested to see the top numbers squeezed out of this thing by the end of 2012. Someone is bound to push the envelope of what most folks think can be done with it.

I do see where the intake is rather restricted on our Vs. The TB S-boot is a dead give-away of this. I'm thinking more and more on fabbing a replacement airbox to be placed in the factory location but that will retain the factory air filter. I'm thinking the box halves will be essentially 2 triangular sections with the option of replacing the OEM filter with a "drop-in" K&N filter rather than the normal cone type filter. The airflow will basically run straight through the box and into the TB rather than up and down and all around. The straighter the airflow, the better. The larger the radii in the bends, the better. I'm not sure if the air can be drawn in straight through where the radiator mount is without having it become warmed by the radiator. I'm guessing the most logical and straight forward location is through the fender as is stock. Once I get working on this project I'll post pics of my WIP. As far as the exhaust goes, it doesn't seem terribly restrictive... But I haven't lifted up the car and taken a really good gander at it yet. Once again the same practice of as straight as possible with all radii as wide as possible applies to best flow and hopeful power gains. Incorporating anti-reversion steps if possible will also help in power gains. I don't think we should open up the exhaust to 2.5" since going too large can slow exhuast gas velocity and can adversely affect power production. I'm guessing we won't know how the V responds to exhaust diameters until some people play around with it.

somebody has an exhaust in i think from a shop i don't remember what diameter it was but i got a cai in that i made Attachment 2525 feeds into fender, much better response with it

Blog Entries
    I've only seen a couple of threads talking about the beginning stages of interrogating the stock box to see just exactly how it's set up. The guys I see talking say that it has fairly straight forward software running the ECM with LOTS of those "It's for your own good" power limiters built into it so they are very optimistic that once they have a tuner box set up for this car it will be a BIG improvement. I'm hoping that a change of boxes will get my NAV increased HP AND MPG because the limited power has me driving with my foot to the floor quite a lot.

Local melbourne tuner saying g'day
    Marathon Blue NAV
    Six Speed
    Style Package
    The wise old engineer pats you on the head and says "I know that Hyundai said your NAV makes 138HP but I decided that you are only worthy of that 138HP when these VERY SPECIFIC parameters have ALL been met. " Doesn't that just give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside ?

19. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements