Veloster Forum banner

6spd grinding while in neutral

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Bigger Hammer 
#1 ·
Hey folks.. 650km on the clock and I've noticed that when the engine is warm, the car will grind (metal on metal kindof noise) off and on when the gear selector is in neutral and the clutch pedal is not depressed. If the car sits and idles for several minutes, it sort of fades away but after driving for a few more minutes, the same thing happens.

Local service department thinks it might be a throw-out bearing as they have seen a couple of the new accents with 1.6 GDI's have similar issues. Unfortunately, the car did not make much noise when I brought it in for them to listen. I got a video of it however to prove that it does happen - seems intermitent.

#3 ·
Yeah, sometimes a bad release/throw out bearing will make noise when the clutch is unloaded, just by spinning loosely as a result of flywheel rotation. A lot of times this will go away when you step on the clutch, putting a load on the bearing-just like when you clamp down on something rattling to make it stop. I haven't looked at the manual for that part, so I can't say whether this car has an integrated slave cylinder/release bearing assembly like some manufacturers use, or whether they're separate, but I'd suspect they're separate. Regardless, get it looked at soon. It can get ugly if a throw out bearing grenades.

#4 ·
Local service advisor @ Hyundai has acknowledged the problem. Waiting till after xmas holidays to bring it in!

Hope its nothing major. Doesn't sound TERRIBLE, just not good.

#5 ·
Finally had the car in TODAY to get this fixed. Took them 3 hours to remove the transmission and replace the part. Noise appears to have gone away now. New release bearing.

#7 ·
At 7000km now on the clocks and the noise is still there. Grinding away the other day when I pulled into my drive way last week. Hyundai has a regional service rep coming in on Tuesday to investigate. I seriously hope this can be figured out and put behind me. At this point, I'd never buy another Hyundai.

#8 ·
At 7000km now on the clocks and the noise is still there. Grinding away the other day when I pulled into my drive way last week. Hyundai has a regional service rep coming in on Tuesday to investigate. I seriously hope this can be figured out and put behind me. At this point, I'd never buy another Hyundai.
Time for regional rep to authorize a transmission replacement. They replaced throw out bearing and your still getting the gear grinding and all the metal filings associated with it into the tranny. Replacing the whole set-up ie: clutch, pressure plate does not eliminate the damage done to gear teeth.
Insist on it when you talk to the rep. the gear teeth are being damaged as it grinds away, metal filings in the trans oil then getting to the bearing surfaces....ya know where I'm going with this:rolleyes:

Ray T:cool:

#9 ·
I just got my back, it did this to me twice. once they replaced the clutch pressure plate throw out bearing and such, then less than 2000 miles later it started again, they replaced everything again and the transmission. I have had it back for about 500 miles now with no trans problems

#10 ·
Its nice to know that your service department could actually make the noise occur regularly and pull through on replacing the transmission. Mine, sadly, cannot. Nor will they provide me with a loaner car because they cannot "prove" the noise and bill it to anything. Apparantly diagnosing a problem isn't enough billable hours to provide a customer a vehicle.
It seems to only make the noise consistantly every single time I drive the car. They took the car last week but temperatures were into the mid 30 degrees C and it doesn't seem to make an audible grind until temps are below 15 degrees. Trying to find a time that works with them AND the temperatures are down now that it is summer is difficult. The one tech heard the noise clear as day and has been trying to convince the service manager that I'm not a crazy paranoid customer. Something is not right with this transmission. Yet the car has been in the shop 6 times or so now in its 7000km (to date) life.. Any things still are not fixed. They never were.

#11 ·
Hey did you manage to get this fixed, as I have the exact same problem, the service reps can never replicate the noise in the shop so they would not fix/diagnose anything. I live in Markham and my dealer is Agincourt Hyundai, maybe we could work something out with these incompetent service reps.

#12 ·
Hi , i had the same issue. 2months after i bought the car 2500 km the problem started. So they said to me that the bearing was broken. So they replaced the clutch with bearing . Problem solved. Now i have 10000 km same problem. When you press the clutch sound gone. Clutch released it happens sometimes. Very annoying . I'm sorry for you. But i'm happy that this has not happened only to me. I also made some movies about the issue. This needs to be fixed!!!

#13 ·
The problem has not been fixed. At 12,000km on the car. The noise is much much easier to replicate in cooler temperatures. I find it to be semi consistent below 10 degrees - and below 0 degrees it becomes VERY consistent. (Degrees C). Now that fall is coming around, I'm hoping to start the pursue the issue and getting it rectified.

I took 2 of the mechanics for drives last winter and they both ended up hearing it. You can't let them try to diagnose it in the shop as just sitting there and revving the motor makes the noise go away. If you drive the car for a bit again (around the block, through town or whatever) and pull into a drive-way or even a timmies drive through, you will really hear it start grinding again.

The service manager last year at Orillia Hyundai didn't want to pull it out and replace the transmission because they would have to send it off to Hyundai. If Hyundai's Corporate warranty techs decided the noise was within normal operating specs then the dealership would be on the hook for the warranty work. They wanted me to get more mileage on the transmission to see if it was a teething issue but now with more mileage... the noise is still there and unchanged.

If anyone has the problem and gets good footage of it (aka good audio of the ginding), post it up to youtube and share the link here!

Reactions: djdreamland
#14 ·
It seems that if I let my rpm drop too low (eg near stall) the grind will be most apparent after in neutral. But ya I am trying to get a footage of the noise, and I am at the point where I will have to resort to complaining to the manager and open a case file with Hyundai HQ.

#16 ·
How are you getting the rpm to drop? What are you doing specifically as a procedure to replicate the noise? Certain gear and ride the clutch pedal out until its near stalling?

#15 ·
You guys are scaring me off...! Started to have this issue a couple of months ago, brought the car in, changed the transmission oil, but it didn't solve the problem. Now I don't wanna go back to the dealer (shitty service), but I guess I'll have to try somewhere else.

#17 ·
For example getting the car to go from complete stop, i'm not giving enough gas off the line so the car almost stalls but doesn't... causing the RPM to drop below/near 750 which is stall point. I tend to drive it without doing this now (revving to 2K before letting go of clutch) and the grinding problem is not that apparent anymore, it may still be there but definitely not as frequent as before.

#18 ·
O.K. Here's my take on it. Release bearing noise USUALLY becomes apparent sitting still with clutch pedal depressed because that is when it has the pressure of your foot on one side and the pressure plate on the other and it is spinning. If clutch pedal is released, The release bearing is not under any pressure and shouldn't be spinning. When you are stopped in neutral with the clutch released, The main shaft of the transmission is the only thing spinning. Next time it makes the noise, Push in the clutch. If the noise goes away, The release bearing is fine but a bearing inside the transmission is bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.