Veloster Forum banner

DCT grinding noise when downshifting - FIXED!

22K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  linmichelm 
#1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know, since this is a common issue. I went to my dealer today - for them to look and document Noise of my DCT when it downshifts while going from 50 to past 40 mph. And what do ya know - service manager told me that he just TODAY got email from the Huyndai about a software upgrade for the DCT addressing this very issue. 45minutes later - I got my car back and it seems to work just fine. Still more driving to do to make sure, but so far so good. No noise. Also DCT seems to shift much better - no dealy at 1-2 gears. So - go check with your dealer - looks like Huyndai is addressing this pretty quick! And enjoy your Velosters!

#3 ·
It would be nice if you found out what update they did exactly (code is what I mean) this way we can ask our dealers for the update directly by number..

#4 ·
Maybe they changed DCT.downshift.grind=1 to DCT.downshift.grind=0 ?

Of course, they should have just left that out altogether, but you have to have SOMETHING to fix, right?

Reactions: Dave
#9 ·
This is very good news. I hope the sooty exhaust fix is in this for the DCTs as well since this is our first campaigne and therefore that has not been resolved for our cars yet. Has anyone read the campaigne details?

#10 ·
I also have this problem and have been told it's normal, which I find very odd. My local Hyundai dealership said that it's a solenoid right under the gear shift and that if I wanted, they could try to move it or muffle it.

My bigger problem is the lazy up-shifting/hesitation when accelerating from a stop, especially if I try to do it suddenly. Have you had that issue?

#11 ·
Update - drove my Veloster all day today trying to replicate the noise issue - so far it looks like it is fixed - no noise at all. So may this software update did what it was supposed to do. I'll update after a while, when I have more certain results, but looks like it did it! Hope your dealers are up do date with this and everyone can get this addressed.

Hope this helps

#17 ·
I'll call my dealership about this and see what they know.

#18 ·
I'm really psyched about getting this done, but I'm trying to hold out for some parts to come in that the dealer had to order for my back hatch before I go back in. The lag in 1st/2nd is just horrible, and it sounds like this addresses it quite nicely. Probably my biggest complaint with this car thus far. It's an absolute handful to drive in stop and go traffic as-is.

Those who have had it done, did the dealer already know what you were talking about? Did you have to show them the specific TSB info posted earlier? Is this showing up on the Hyundai service site yet?

#19 ·
Those who have had it done, did the dealer already know what you were talking about? Did you have to show them the specific TSB info posted earlier? Is this showing up on the Hyundai service site yet?

When I first went by my dealer to make an appointment and told them about this issue - it was on Monday, last week and they didnt know anything about it - at least thats what I was told. But, their service manager told me that he will research this and hopefully have some info for me when I actually bring it back on Friday of the same last week. I told him abut this forum and all the people that have this problem.
I dont know how much he knew to begin with or how much he researched it - but the minute I came in - he told me that he just got an email from Hyundai letting service centers know about the issue and update. And I just happened to have bright it at the right time/day to have this done as soon as it was availble.
Btw, so far so good - no noises since the update/fix.
Dont know about Hyundai service site - I dont even know what it is or how to log on to that.

#24 ·
I can't find it on the Hyundai servoce site, can someone else confirm it is still there... or post the PDF file here.. Thank you

#27 ·
Here's what the OP posted from his work order:

Campaign TJ6 TCM SOFTWARE UPDATE

CAUSE: CAMPAIGN
10C152R1 TCM SOFTWARE UPDATE N/C (no charge)

Not sure what to make of this, I'd still like to see something from the HMA Service site.

FWIW, I'm also using a Mac and have been unable to get the site to work using any of the main browsers (Safari, Firefox, or Chrome). I couldn't even get registered--had to use my work laptop to get registered. Once I was registered, the site still doesn't work for the most part. Anything that has something you expand with a "+" sign doesn't work.

Not a big deal, but it's an annoyance. I just fire up a VM now when I want to take a look at the site.

#30 ·
Looking at the image Maverick provided (Thank you btw). Is this compatible with the DCT. I as because it seems to only reference M/T..

#32 ·
just had the update done at the dealer. Like most on here, sloppy 1st to second, grinding noise downshifting to 40 mph. Seemed like the trans was always confused. It isn't confused anymore, like a whole new car. Massive difference, only had it back a few hours but things seem a lot cleaner, focused, etc. fingers crossed

#33 ·
DISREGARD the PDF Maverick74 posted a few replies previous. That is NOT THE CAMPAIGN we are discussing here!

If someone has an image/pdf of campaign TJ6 / Op code 10C152R1, will you please post it here? Thanks.

#34 ·
I called the dealership and they said this is not a fix for the DTC or it didn't apply for my V, even though I have the downshift DTC issue. I was told I would be notified from Hyundai Corporate for a recall when an update was out.

Anyone told the same?

#35 ·
I was told I would be notified from Hyundai Corporate for a recall when an update was out.

Anyone told the same?
It depends on whether Hyundai reacts to the issue with a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) or a RECALL. In the former case, updates will be performed at your initiative or when the dealer has the vehicle for routine service. You'll likely receive no notification. TSBs and recalls are entirely different processes.

#37 ·
I took my car in today for my scheduled TCM update.

Extremely noticeable difference. Gear shifts are smooth, no lag issues, no more grinding, and this thing really flies when told to do so. I gave it a few WOT passes on the interstate and passing/merging/accelerating on on-ramps are a mere breeze now. Veloster just got WAY better. Thanks to everyone who did their part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.