Veloster Forum banner

Maybe Running Lean???

Tags
lean running
12K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Tuns 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Have a quick question. What is the normal Air/Fuel Ratio on these direct injection cars? Like AF on idle, normal driving, and full throttle? Did some baseline dyno runs and seemed like it runs lean from factory. Just not used of Direct Injection Cars yet.

Getting alot of soot though in the exhaust, i know its a Direct Injection thing, but just wanna know if anyone knows what they are running A/F wise.

Thanks

#2 ·
ok quick thing...lean means NOT ENOUGH FUEL...rich is TOO MUCH fuel. In regards to the tailpipes...they are black because they are running rich. You are shooting for a 14.7 air/fuel ratio. Does that change of course it does...but thats what its shooting for.

the veloster might be running down into the 12's and thats why your getting the blackness on the tails. Without physically looking at the gds and the 02 graphs i'm just merely speculating on how rich the car runs.

#5 ·
I know that the soot means its running rich, but was just wondering what the normal readings are.

Cause the soot is probably happening at idle, normal, or partial throttle. I dont think the soot is happening at WOT, cause it runs a little on the lean side to do that.

#8 ·
what?

the car will run its richest at WOT and on cold idle. ecu runs in open loop in both instances, ignores input from the o2 sensors and will choose from specific parts of the fuel and timing tables. when you're cruising at partial throttle the ecu runs in closed loop and uses input from the o2 sensor to trim excess fuel in order to maintain a 14.7:1 air fuel ratio. you're more likely to be going lean at cruise because there is no load on the motor so you can get away with it. no way would they lean it out at WOT, thats asking for trouble.

#10 ·
Sigh.. is this soot a problem?

#15 ·
Oh wow... Well it's not bothering me, I just hope running rich doesn't cause damage to the engine is some way or form.

#20 ·
rich is bad for engine, ecu tell engine suck more fuel, extra amount fuel will wash off the cylinder head, and take oil away, so you many suffer burning oil as well, normal ratio is 14-15, my veloster is about 10-11, I guess, I don't have ratio gauge, I have to add 1 qt oil in every 1000 miles, then oil smell like gas, and block scoot on the tail pipe and trailer ball. I've checked spark plug, air filter, o2 sensor, there is no check engine lights on. Do you guys think fuel injector will cause rich, I'll look into it. Again, a little rich is normal, but too rich is really bad, you may see more bad result later on, my v is 127K miles now, rich and burning oil was getting worse around 9-10K miles, need help, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.