Veloster Forum banner

DCT Auto Transmission Noise | Grinding, whirring.

48K views 80 replies 34 participants last post by  jpivarci 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ive got about 300 miles on my century white V, love the car. The second day I had it I noticed a grinding noise on deceleration.Basically, the best way I can explain it is if you are going about 50 mph and remove your foot from the gas pedal and start to coast, when the speed falls to 40 mph (every time consitantly) the auto tranny down shifts and there is a short grinding noise. Sounds like sticking a business card in a fan. I took it back to the dealer , I took the service manager for a ride, he heard the sound first hand, they called Hyundai and they reported it to be a normal sound. ?!?! They said since the car was so new that they were not really sure. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this noise with the dct. It doesn't do it on downshift in the sport mode.

MODERATOR NOTES: COMMON ISSUE FOR DCT OWNERS
STEPS

I recommend everyone calling Hyundai's technical line at 1-800-633-5151 and saying 'representative' when the voice prompts begin. They'll giveyou a 7-digit casenumberand by calling, you make your problem known and documented.

#2 ·
Sounds like maybe some synchronizer noise? Possibly a bad synchro, but it's hard to say without actually hearing it.

Synchros grinding is not normal even in a DCT.

#5 ·
Ive got about 300 miles on my century white V, love the car. The second day I had it I noticed a grinding noise on deceleration.Basically, the best way I can explain it is if you are going about 50 mph and remove your foot from the gas pedal and start to coast, when the speed falls to 40 mph (every time consitantly) the auto tranny down shifts and there is a short grinding noise. Sounds like sticking a business card in a fan. I took it back to the dealer , I took the service manager for a ride, he heard the sound first hand, they called Hyundai and they reported it to be a normal sound. ?!?! They said since the car was so new that they were not really sure. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this noise with the dct. It doesn't do it on downshift in the sport mode
I think it's a synchro for that particular gear, here's why.

In sport mode, you're using higher RPMs, I would assume that in sport mode when this car is decelerating, it does so at higher RPMs than it would in eco mode. So because of this, you don't hear the grinding, basically if the RPMs are low enough, you'll hear the grinding. Which is why on my sentra, I have to even rev-match going to down second, I couldn't tell you the exact revs because I don't have a tach, but that would be my explanation.

Bad synchro for that gear (probably 3rd)

#6 ·
yeah i hear the same sound on my DCT V also, it comes and goes when i decelerate, is there any ways to fix this or any dealership has knowledge about it and can go about fixing this problem, and it only hapens when im on auto and not paddle if that helps

#7 ·
Ok, so I'm really glad I'm not the only one with this noise that comes and goes. I had the dealer check it out and they really had no idea as of yet. I'm gonna stay on them about it until I get a good answer and solution. Anybody who gets a fix please post it!! Seems like it may be in the synchro by whats been posted here. Thank you to everyone who responded btw.

#8 ·
im sure people will start to notice it more and bring it to light with their hyundai service prodiver and word gets out and a fix or recall will be in place, lets keep everyone informed and update, as i know i would. ill keep everyone up to date if the matter is fixed or gets worse or w/e the case may be

#13 ·
On mine it seems to be around 2000. It is consistent every time at 40mph on the nose when coasting or braking . The noise is much more pronounced if you let the car coast from say 50mph to 40mph. When it happens the grinding/squealing noise occurs and the rpm drops from 2000 to 1000 then immediately back up. Very frustrating

#18 ·
Interesting.. I'll have to test this one out! I hope I don't have the same problem :)

#23 ·
I haven't seen any posts for my problem....I hear noise from what appears to be the tranny when I turn the car on and off. Also, real noticeable when engine is NOT running. Example, get in car, turn key to "run" position (not start), wait 1 second, and I hear click/clack noises...then turn the key from "run" to "off" (again, engine not running), and I hear the same noise again. Any one else hear this noise?

#25 ·
@goodboy501 let us know what the dealer says. I narrowed it down to being in between 5th and 6th. It only happens when the dct down shifts from 6th to 5th at 40mph . That seems to be the shift point if you are coasting. Ill be taking mine back in soon. My concern is that the parts to fix it are not avail yet and will have to be ordered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.