NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gamma 1.6 GDI motor...An introduction.

Gamma 1.6 GDI motor...An introduction.

OK what I have done here...is taken the three threads and made one (natedogg I was getting there...haha)

so all of the videos will be in this first post, not comments have been erased but if you had a video in it, it was moved.

thanks!

Derek

GDI motor presentation.

I always like to see this type of animations almost makes it easy to understand what is going inside our engine

Gamma 1.6 GDI Presentation.
    Direct Download 1080p

@Natedogg posted this one:
    Hyundai Dual CVVT
    Direct Download 720p

@Natedogg posted this one:
    Hyundai - Theta II - Variable Induction System
    Direct Download 720p

CVVT...explained further from HMAservice.com

well as per our discussion in the Dyno thread I decided to put what HMA has available...i'll try to dig even more into this in the future. I wish the jump drive they gave us at the Media release worked in my computer...it had all the info on it...owell. you can clearly see that it does maximize power but not as much as one would expect...its main function is for emissions. When cvvt was introduced in 04 with the Elantra...it was only a single Control Valve and it controlled the Intake cam. The dual CVVT continues on but adds the a second control valve to the Exhaust cam. Power in Gamma 1.6 mainly comes from the GDI and variable intake runners.
    but here we go from HMAservice.com

"Continuous Variable Valve Timing (CVVT) system advances or retards the valve timing of the intake and exhaust valve in accordance with the ECM control signal which is calculated by the engine speed and load.
    By controlling CVVT, the valve over-lap or under-lap occurs, which makes better fuel economy and reduces exhaust gases (NOx, HC) and improves engine performance through reduction of pumping loss, internal EGR effect, improvement of combustion stability, improvement of volumetric efficiency, and increase of expansion work.
    This system consist of
    - the CVVT Oil Control Valve (OCV) which rgulates engine oil to and from the cam phaser in accordance with the ECM PWM (Pulse With Modulation) control signal,
    - and the Cam Phaser which varies the cam phase by using the hydraulic force of the engine oil.

The CVVT has the mechanism rotating the rotor vane with hydraulic force generated by the engine oil supplied to the advance or retard chamber in accordance with the CVVT oil control valve control.

modes of operation

low speed/low load

Part load

Low speed/High load

High speed/High load

Last edited by only1db; 10-18-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Thanks for sharing. I didn't understand much of it, but I don't think it can be explained in layman's terms.
    Electrolyte Green Veloster DCT w/Style. AKA Fiona

"
    We have, I fear, confused power with greatness" ~Stewart Udall

Brotip # 1312: Age isn't always a measure of wisdom. Sometimes a younger bro knows more than an older one.

Good post. I was reading through that section the other day. I don't like reading books, but I can read through a service manual from front to back. lol

I do like how they draw out the overlap, and the extreme separation between exhaust close and intake open at high load really shows how many degrees of cam angle they have to mess with compared to the high overlap past TDC during EGR phase.
    Here's my new Blog:

http://drivegeek.wordpress.com

The goal of this blog is to put my impressions and any other information needed to make a proper decision about a car BEFORE you buy it. I'm not reviewing the techy stuff, just how the car does as being it's primary purpose...a car. I will also post negative information about cars from real owners, not some car magazine.

My favorite part..."The exhaust valves are retarded..." That one always get me when I'm talking about timing.

I'm such a child.
    Last edited by only1db; 10-18-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    Here's my new Blog:

The goal of this blog is to put my impressions and any other information needed to make a proper decision about a car BEFORE you buy it. I'm not reviewing the techy stuff, just how the car does as being it's primary purpose...a car. I will also post negative information about cars from real owners, not some car magazine.

Sounds exactly like what every manufacture has been doing for several years now. I have had a lot of experience playing with the Active Valve Control System (AVCS) on Subarus. They do the same thing. You can say it helps with power, or it helps with MPG's, it is all the same. With modern engines you are trying to make it as efficient as you can. Get air in smoothly and without much resistant, fill up the combustion chamber with as much air as possible, get that spark timing perfect so that you can maximize the cylinder pressure at the right time, and get the exhaust gas out as much and as quickly as you can.

I am sure CVVT would be marketed as optimizing fuel effiency and emissions because that is what the car is designed to be, an eco hatch. Now if this exact same technology was on a 300 hp Hyundai engine, they would be marketing as "getting more power!" instead of "reducing nox!".

Guess my point is. It isn't new technology, and it isn't solely for emissions, or solely for power. They go hand in hand.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster | 1995 Ford E350 Type-III Ambulance | 1994 Subaru Legacy Rally Car

^agreed...but when they first came out with it...there was a 3hp increase in power. FOR hyundai its NOT about the power...even on the 3.8 in the gen coupe, they say about making it more efficient for fuel economy and volumetric efficiency. Not once do they say about it being more powerful. Obviously they go hand in hand...but i think it just an added bonus for them to make more power. Its not like they set out to make more power secondary to mpg....

this is NOT like vvt-i or I-vtech that is there for power.

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!

stickied...i think this is pretty good info!

should also be noted that we are researching the specific function of the intake on the Veloster. With others systems its traditionally vacuum from the motor that will dictate where the runners are and at what RPM.

here is a picture of the manifold...you can clearly see the solenoid and arm that physically moves the flaps of the manifold.

Last edited by only1db; 10-17-2011 at 04:26 PM.

QFTMFT!!!

I think it can be used for power once it gets in the right hands or the software comes out that allows us to control it. To get peak power you end up with a lot of NOx. OEM engineers have to play with trying to get as much power, while dealing with emissions.

While us irresponsible car owners can focus on just getting as much power as we can with catless exhausts and maximizing the CVVT for power.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster | 1995 Ford E350 Type-III Ambulance | 1994 Subaru Legacy Rally Car

the guys over at poweraxel (maybe they will chime in) DO NOT touch the timing on the Turbo model of the Gen Coupe nor the 3.8 v6. or i should say as far as i know they dont. They just change TPS settings, fuel maps, timing maps and some other little things. What i DO know is that its a totally different car afterwards.

hence why i'm hoping they jump on the boat and give us a Flash option.

sorry...offtopic in my own topic. haha

QFTMFT!!!

The timing of the CVVT? Or spark timing?

what i want to know.. is whether or not our rods/pistons are forged or not.. Not for any particular reason or anything ;x just alittle curious
    Boston red style pckge, two tone red/black interior.

Mods-

Lighting- KDM projector, 8000k Hid's, Led wing style reflectors, led map lights, led license plate lights,

Exterior- 18" Enkei evo5 bronze rims, 3m CF grill, blacked out emblems, Red extended lug nuts,

Interior/Electronics- JBL 12" with Intinity amp, V-speeds licenseplate rebadge, removed video while moving mod.

Build Thread
    http://www.veloster.org/forum/10-hyundai-veloster-appearance-body/1509-first-modded-veloster-u-s.htm

These videos have been posted, but looking at that exhaust design on the block it seems pretty clear how the engine manages to suffocate.

v-speed...no but they are coated to help with heat transfer and efficiency

QFTMFT!!!

gah, No i was hoping since its a rather high compression ratio it would be forged for strength (also strong for when i boost).

wait? who said boost what?
    Boston red style pckge, two tone red/black interior.

Mods-

Lighting- KDM projector, 8000k Hid's, Led wing style reflectors, led map lights, led license plate lights,

Exterior- 18" Enkei evo5 bronze rims, 3m CF grill, blacked out emblems, Red extended lug nuts,

Interior/Electronics- JBL 12" with Intinity amp, V-speeds licenseplate rebadge, removed video while moving mod.

Build Thread
    http://www.veloster.org/forum/10-hyundai-veloster-appearance-body/1509-first-modded-veloster-u-s.htm

We're gonna end up merging these threads in to a big "info" thread or we're gonna have 50 stickies up top (I've seen forums like that and it gets ugly).

That looks like a standard vacuum solenoid controlled actuator much like a wastegate actuator setup on a stock turbo (the newer ones that are computer controlled rather than relying solely on the wastegate spring).
    Here's my new Blog:

They are likely Hypereutectic pistons and cast rods. I see there's no oil squirters either. The top ring lands are pretty thin so be careful.

I'm surprised they used standard hydraulic buckets (in a good way). Everyone seemed to be moving to roller rockers for a while. I guess they figured out it's just more unneeded mass. Direct cam actuated flat buckets are more reliable (in my opinion, since I rarely see a failure in them compared to rollers).
    Here's my new Blog:

ok.....better? haha

QFTMFT!!!

LOL. I think? I was just reading this saying "did I post that in the wrong thread?"
    Here's my new Blog:

i changed the title...i just realized i had it as the "Cvvt" title...whoops. I'll get the hang of this yet! haha

QFTMFT!!!

great information. thanks for posting.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements