NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Real world MPGs

Real world MPGs

Veloster owners, feel free to post your real world mpgs here. The Veloster is rated 28 city, 40 hwy. It's interesting to see if the Veloster is better or worse than those numbers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

My first 130 miles average 34 mpg. Thats 50% highway (mountainous terrain), 50% rural, also hilly. No complaints here.

If a couple of you would give me a test run at 65 on flat road, I'd appreciate it. Doesn't have to be long mileage... Please indicate M/A tranny.
    thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jiminee View Post
    If a couple of you would give me a test run at 65 on flat road, I'd appreciate it. Doesn't have to be long mileage... Please indicate M/A tranny.
    thanks
    Jim
    I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Accent SE with the same 1.6 GDI engine (and roughly similar weight as the Veloster). The problem with the onboard computer making the MPG calculation is it's generally a bit more optimistic than reality. As an example, my last full tank run showed 37.9 MPG on the computer but based on my actual calculation, it was about 36.1 MPG (about 70% highway, 30% city). I believe a test run at 65 using the computer will give you higher-than-actual MPG figures.

Sticky-ed
    Electrolyte Green Veloster DCT w/Style. AKA Fiona

"
    We have, I fear, confused power with greatness" ~Stewart Udall

Brotip # 1312: Age isn't always a measure of wisdom. Sometimes a younger bro knows more than an older one.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminee View Post
    thanks
    Jim
    Sorry, there isn't any flat road within 80+ miles from my regular travels. Nice twisties, though

I live in North Georgia mountains. Mostly rural two lane driving with minimal town driving. 36.7mpg first 150 miles. That is better than my 2010 Honda Fit got.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangone View Post
    I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Accent SE with the same 1.6 GDI engine (and roughly similar weight as the Veloster). The problem with the onboard computer making the MPG calculation is it's generally a bit more optimistic than reality. As an example, my last full tank run showed 37.9 MPG on the computer but based on my actual calculation, it was about 36.1 MPG (about 70% highway, 30% city). I believe a test run at 65 using the computer will give you higher-than-actual MPG figures.
    i also have a 2012 accent. my computer is a pretty consisten 1.5 mpg's high. at any rate , my 85% highway tanks have all been over 41.5 mpg's (calculated), so the 1.6 gdi is plenty fuel efficient...and the veloster doesnt weight a whole lot more.

I have a canadian model so we calculate stuff in liters / kmhs. but I will do some conversion. So far I have done 70% city, 30% highways.

the fuel gauge has 12 bars. every bar is about 60 KMs. so technically I can do 720Kms.
    so after conversion, that's about 448 miles. Fuel tank is 13.2 gallon.
    so the is average is 32.46 miles per gallon.

that's rough calculation. can the car software tell you actual MPG stats ??? if so please let me know how. tnx

Using the 7" touchscreen there should be an option to view your MPG stats
    Electrolyte Green Veloster DCT w/Style. AKA Fiona

"
    We have, I fear, confused power with greatness" ~Stewart Udall

Brotip # 1312: Age isn't always a measure of wisdom. Sometimes a younger bro knows more than an older one.

Trip button on the steering wheel toggles through Trip A, Trip B, Average MPG, Miles to empty and average speed.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyriderAR View Post
    Trip button on the steering wheel toggles through Trip A, Trip B, Average MPG, Miles to empty and average speed.
    Does this info show up on the 7" screen or in the small display area between the speedometer and tachometer?

Quote Originally Posted by Sangone View Post
    Does this info show up on the 7" screen or in the small display area between the speedometer and tachometer?
    It's on the little screen between the gauges. I wish it included instant mpg because that's a decent learning tool.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyriderAR View Post
    It's on the little screen between the gauges. I wish it included instant mpg because that's a decent learning tool.
    That's strange as the instant mpg feature is offered in the new 2012 Accent along with the others.

Eco coach shows you a graph of every 4 minutes for average purposes. And the dash shows average mpg. No instant mpg meter which blows.

Averaging between 36 and 44. No worse than 34mpg even under agressive driving.
    Bart1960 likes this.
    2012 Marathon Blue Veloster | 2007 Lotus Exige S | 2010 Honda Fit
    Veloster Interface Design | Development Website | Full Veloster Review

I was disappointed that the instant-MPG was missing as well.

For my city/highway test drive, I reset the MPG-o-meter and drove about 10 miles. A bunch of that was busy city driving and the time I was on the freeway I was changing gears frequently and testing acceleration. When I got back to the dealer, the MPG-o-meter was just under 35 mpg. This was with a DCT car with no other options.

I know it's a short drive, but 35 mpg on a semi-aggressive test drive is pretty impressive in my book.

on first tank of gas reset after leaving dealership, at 8.8 right now, but Ill reset again after I empty the first tank as to me the first tank means nothing~
    Triathlon Grey - Tech Package

Just took a test drive on a manual with tech package. Drove for 6 miles - half highway, half city traffic. The compuetr average was 35.9mpg. I thought that was great considering I was driving very fast and stopping and starting hard since it was a test drive and I was trying to see what it would do. I am very impressed with this car and the lack of horsepower is not that bad. I do plan to buy one as soon as I find a DCT with tech package in Vitamin C or Boston Red.

First tank, 310 miles thus far, computer shows 125 miles to empty and 36.4 mpg. 25% highway, hilly terrain, 65% rural two lane hilly roads, 10% in town.

What kind of fuel you need on the veloster ( Regular or Premium?)

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements