Veloster Forum banner
240K views 859 replies 310 participants last post by  Ricky-D 
#1 ·
Veloster owners, feel free to post your real world mpgs here. The Veloster is rated 28 city, 40 hwy. It's interesting to see if the Veloster is better or worse than those numbers.

#684 ·
Well, just got back from a 900 mile trip that took me through hilly/mountainous highway driving, flat highway driving, rush hour traffic, city driving, rural/small town driving and some playing around. Over the entire course of the trip managed to average 37.4 mpg. Not too shabby considering I'm still under 1k total miles.

#685 ·
Locally I'm getting about 32-37mpg doing random things. Last tank (4.2gal) was averaging about 32.7mpg and this newest tank (5.2 gal) was closer to 37.1mpg. Probably a bit higher since about 120 miles of the 193 was highway driving as compared to back road stuff.

So far so good!

Reactions: texascat2
#687 ·
I have done 7 fuel ups so far and averaging 36 mpg. My best tank was 39.7 mpg with 25/75 city/highway. My worst tank was 33.7 mpg with the same amount city/highway, but it is the first tank fuel up and just getting to know the car, showing off to friends, setting up the nav, etc.

#690 ·
I'm curious to know if those of you that are reporting 37+MPG are getting those results with manual calculation (Actual miles divided by actual gallons used) as opposed to one of the computer displayed averages on the car.

I am in the middle of my 3rd tank on a VTurbo A/T and my dash computer average has been showing results typically 5-6 MPG HIGHER than the actual results calculated by hand. (Computer average consistently reads 28.5 to 30.1 in nearly all my weekly commute trips that are 75/25 Urban Highway and Suburban city (35MPH roads and stop&go traffic) This is in comparison to my manually calculated results of 24.04 and 22.07 MPG respectively on the first 2 tanks of gas. This is all within the first 500 miles and I have been very easy on the throttle the whole time.

The "ECO Driving Information" screen mileage is off even more and has shown trip averages as high as 37MPG where the car computer was displaying 27.1 for the same trip.

#692 ·
I'm curious to know if those of you that are reporting 37+MPG are getting those results with manual calculation (Actual miles divided by actual gallons used) as opposed to one of the computer displayed averages on the car.

I am in the middle of my 3rd tank on a VTurbo A/T and my dash computer average has been showing results typically 5-6 MPG HIGHER than the actual results calculated by hand. (Computer average consistently reads 28.5 to 30.1
I spend most of time city driving (a lot of stop and go), but cover more of distance on the highway (just in less time).. Currently my gauge is ready ~34MPG..
We've been pretty adamant that this thread is real "pencil and paper" numbers, any carputer generated numbers aren't welcome here since they're not accurate :)

Several of us have also proved over time that we can get the car display to lie to us with very little coaxing. Rule #1, the car lies...
:D

#694 ·
I always calculated my data manually and I also use Fuelly.com. I noticed that the mpg reading from the car is always optimistic. At 1st tank, it read 2 more mpg than manually calculated; 2nd tank was the same +2 mpg; 3rd tank was a little less like +1.5 mpg difference and the last tank that I got was +1.2 mpg. The computer avg mpg is pretty consistent and I use it not as an exact measurement, but as an estimation of what mpg I will be getting. I always do -2 mpg when I read the computer for example: if the computer display I got 39.7 mpg at the moment, that means I am getting around 37.7 mpg if manually calculated tho it might be more or less, but usually less than +2 mpg difference. The same also happens with my 2011 Sonata SE, the computer reading always +/- 2 mpg consistently, so it is easy to indicate the actual mpg you are getting.

#698 ·
The problem with Veloster especially Na V is that it only has 1.6L engine. For people who are used to 2.0L engine and above, the Na V will be slow as snail and they tend to over revving the engine to get to the same speed. Try this, for 1 tank, try to not revving your engine pass 3k rpm and in highway, do not drive pass the speed limit. I guaranteed your mileage will increase.
Speed kills MPG.

#699 ·
im getting about 7.5 in the city if im driving an average of 50km\h but if i go 40 or 30 it goes to about 7.4 or 7.3 and highway is as promised by them just about on the nose. ive also tried different gas types like premium and medium grade and its roughly the same. i just got my oil changed to synthetic so that should help it a bit atleast

#749 ·
Actually, higher octane fuel ignites slower, or more correctly, is less prone to pre-ignition.

Octane grade doesn't affect fuel economy or power output (unless you use too low of a grade for your engine, using higher than recommended does nothing). The one caveat with fuel grades comes down to the additives used by the gas stations. In some stations, higher grades of gas will use less ethanol and thus you will see an increase in mpg's, you'll have to investigate that from station to station. This isn't always the case though, as ethanol is a cheap octane booster. I think pretty much everywhere now uses 10% ethanol in the low grade fuel, but if you find somewhere that uses 0% ethanol in a higher grade, you can try that out and see if you notice a difference in mpg (and whether the price increase is offset by the fuel savings).

#701 ·
My 3rd tank I tried premium and wound up getting 26.4 which is definitely better than my first 2 tanks (1st - 24.04 and 2nd - 22.07 MPG) but I'd bet it has more to do with the fact that the engine is getting broken in than it does with the extra octane boost. On my 4th tank now and when it is gone, I'll go back to regular grade and see what happens. Glad to see the numbers moving in the right direction. :)

#704 ·
Just got back from a 900 mile trip from Pittsburgh to Williamsburg (and some driving around down there) and while our average speeds ranged between 40-75mph on highways, back country roads and in town stuff...managed to get 37mpg on the way down and 41.5mpg on the way home (Damn you I-68 through West Virginia!).

Either way, extremely happy so far.

Over 3400 miles on the car so far and seeing increasing production as far as the mpg goes.

#706 ·
Hard core math was 33 for the first tank and almost 35 for the second, been trying to shift before the indicator tells me to. I drive all back roads and go over two mountains 1700 ft and 1600 ft have to do both in 3rd or 4th gear at 3k my highest speed is prob 60, and roads are very swervey.

#707 ·
Getting the best Mileage on Veloster

I've had my Veloster for almost 2 months now and I cant seem to get close to the advertised MPG of 40mpg. My ECO ave was 28mpg on the first month and 29.8 mpg on the second month. I drive mostly at 65mph to 75mph on the beltway in Houston. Do they actually expect me to drive 55mph when the posted speed in Houston's beltway is 65mph and people still pass me by when Im going 70mph.

So those getting the high MPG what's the secret to hitting 35-40 MPG on the Veloster.

Thanks in advance .

#708 ·
Use ECO mode on the beltway and use cruise control as much as you can. Should see an increase of at least 10mpgs. I drive into downtown houston from rosenberg and on 59 I'm averaging in the 30s in my VT auto. On the way back home, its pretty bad in downtown but when I'm back on the freeway it goes back up.

#711 ·
I know it integrates with bluelink... thats what the Point system is for. Though I haven't gotten any points yet... not sure how/when it actually accumulates. But yeah you gotta keep off the gas and the V does get some really good miles. Also as the car breaks in the milage has improved at least in my case. First tank of gas was pretty bad, its gotten a bit better after each fill up. Also try switching to a less lean gas... You'd be surprised how much difference you can get.

#712 ·
I get 6L per 100km (47mpg) on the open highway at about 105km/h and get 7L per 100km (40mpg) around town. The worst average I have had on a tank of fuel was 7.5L per 100km (37mpg)! Which according to the Australian fuel consumption stickers when you buy the car it is spot on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.