Veloster Forum banner
240K views 859 replies 310 participants last post by  Ricky-D 
#1 ·
Veloster owners, feel free to post your real world mpgs here. The Veloster is rated 28 city, 40 hwy. It's interesting to see if the Veloster is better or worse than those numbers.

#2 ·
My first 130 miles average 34 mpg. Thats 50% highway (mountainous terrain), 50% rural, also hilly. No complaints here.

#4 ·
I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Accent SE with the same 1.6 GDI engine (and roughly similar weight as the Veloster). The problem with the onboard computer making the MPG calculation is it's generally a bit more optimistic than reality. As an example, my last full tank run showed 37.9 MPG on the computer but based on my actual calculation, it was about 36.1 MPG (about 70% highway, 30% city). I believe a test run at 65 using the computer will give you higher-than-actual MPG figures.

#5 ·
Sticky-ed

#9 ·
I have a canadian model so we calculate stuff in liters / kmhs. but I will do some conversion. So far I have done 70% city, 30% highways.

the fuel gauge has 12 bars. every bar is about 60 KMs. so technically I can do 720Kms.
so after conversion, that's about 448 miles. Fuel tank is 13.2 gallon.
so the is average is 32.46 miles per gallon.

that's rough calculation. can the car software tell you actual MPG stats ??? if so please let me know how. tnx

#10 ·
Using the 7" touchscreen there should be an option to view your MPG stats :)

#11 ·
Trip button on the steering wheel toggles through Trip A, Trip B, Average MPG, Miles to empty and average speed.

#16 ·
I was disappointed that the instant-MPG was missing as well.

For my city/highway test drive, I reset the MPG-o-meter and drove about 10 miles. A bunch of that was busy city driving and the time I was on the freeway I was changing gears frequently and testing acceleration. When I got back to the dealer, the MPG-o-meter was just under 35 mpg. This was with a DCT car with no other options.

I know it's a short drive, but 35 mpg on a semi-aggressive test drive is pretty impressive in my book.

#36 ·
The number threw me off.. I was like 8.8mpg WHAT?! then I saw that you're from BC and was like OHH 8.8 L/Km . good #'s.

My 87 octane comment was actually a question, not a statement of fact. I'm guessing that "regular" means 87 octane, but was asking to confirm that it doesn't mean 85 or 88.
87 octane is regular in Ohio and the US (?) .. I believe.. I can't remember properly.. fail :p

#18 ·
Just took a test drive on a manual with tech package. Drove for 6 miles - half highway, half city traffic. The compuetr average was 35.9mpg. I thought that was great considering I was driving very fast and stopping and starting hard since it was a test drive and I was trying to see what it would do. I am very impressed with this car and the lack of horsepower is not that bad. I do plan to buy one as soon as I find a DCT with tech package in Vitamin C or Boston Red.:)

#19 ·
First tank, 310 miles thus far, computer shows 125 miles to empty and 36.4 mpg. 25% highway, hilly terrain, 65% rural two lane hilly roads, 10% in town.

#20 ·
What kind of fuel you need on the veloster ( Regular or Premium?)

#23 ·
ok so what's the deal with the fuel economy gauge here. i know the trip computer (in the gauge cluster gives average mpg) and the touchscreen gives 2 programs that show fuel economy but do the ones on the touchscreen require bluelink to work? i know i read that one of them did to play the fuel economy game and the other one does to compare fuel economy to other velosters/hyundais so what's the deal? if we don't pay for bluelink what do these screens look like?

#24 ·
The ECO guide (tells you how you are doing and advises driving habits) seems to be only available on the Bluelink premium package ($279 per year). This is only from what I've read on the Bluelink home page, with no actual experience, so I could be wrong here.

#26 ·
Correct. The small screen between the tach and speedo can be set to read average mpg. This works independently of BlueLink.

#31 ·
Ok...first tank, took it to low fuel warning at 390 miles. MPG computer said 37.2, actual calculated was 35.5. Travel was 70 miles highway, very hilly, remainder rural roads, typical trip 24 miles round trip with 10% in town. Again, hilly terrain. My driving style is pretty conservative, willing to slow down a little going up hills, gain it back going downhill. Not too shabby for first tank in my manual Veloster. Happy? You bet!!!

#33 ·
Just got mine on Saturday. Live in Pittsburgh with all hills and tunnels and construction. First 100 miles gives me 36MPG. This is great! Better than what I was used to with Grand Prix SE that got 22-24MPG.
For those that want speed, then maybe wait for turbo. I figure it this way - 0-60 in 8 seconds vs. 6 saves 2 seconds. To me, that is not worth the savings in fuel. Plus it is still very fun to drive. What can you do in 2 seconds? Read this last sentence - that's all........

#41 ·
I would interpret that as real time calculation of average mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.