NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Real world MPGs

The short answer? You will have to drive this car in such a manner that it will piss off everyone around you to get the EPA estimated MPG in the city. The highway is never much of an issue for me, but I regularly see less than 25 in the city with my 6 speed NA V.

No, I am not gunning it every light either, so please don't insinuate otherwise. I firmly believe that these issues are a direct result of the underpowered nature of this vehicle. If it had another 30 horses or so, achieving decent city MPG would be well within the reach of the EPA numbers as you would not have to gently caress the throttle to get decent city MPG out of the car. Normal take take offs (We will say, for arguments sake, about half engaged versus the light touch I have to do if I'm fuel sipping) would not require as much oomph out of the little engine.

My 3.8 Genesis achieved 21 mpg on average in the city; my veloster sees around 24 / 25. Granted, highway is a night and day difference, but irrelevant for our purposes.

Otherwise, fantastic vehicle for the money.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I tried using the cruise control this evening but its difficult to keep the speed since I'm either going too fast or too slow even set at 65mph. I guess if I'm driving outside Houston city proper I could use the cruise control longer. But it does make a big difference when it was in cruise control.

Tomorrow morning ill try and leave for work earlier and see if I can use the cruise control the whole 22 miles from my home to work and see if I can stay at 70 mph on the beltway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben85 View Post
    Didnt know that there was a difference between an imperial gallon and a us gallon.
    Yes, the imperial (UK) gallon is defined as 4.54609 liters and a US gallon is a unit of volume in the U.S. Customary System equals 4 quarts (3.785 liters).

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost12 View Post
    yes, the imperial (uk) gallon is defined as 4.54609 liters and a us gallon is a unit of volume in the u.s. Customary system equals 4 quarts (3.785 liters).
    merricaaa!!!

Tried using cruise control this morning and ended up with worst mileage ratings on ECO coach. It's hard to keep a constant speed on the beltway going to work. People are just too much in a hurry these days. I was already going 70mph and this audi flashed his high beams on me and I wasn't even on the fast lane. Although I was happy to see he got blocked in my slower moving cars after passing me. LOL Plus it slows down when you approach the toll plaza which I really dont understand when everyone has eazytags on three lanes. then it speeds up right after you pass the toll plaza.
    I should just be happy I'm getting close to 30mpg. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by apchouston View Post
    Tried using cruise control this morning and ended up with worst mileage ratings on ECO coach. It's hard to keep a constant speed on the beltway going to work. People are just too much in a hurry these days. I was already going 70mph and this audi flashed his high beams on me and I wasn't even on the fast lane. Although I was happy to see he got blocked in my slower moving cars after passing me. LOL Plus it slows down when you approach the toll plaza which I really dont understand when everyone has eazytags on three lanes. then it speeds up right after you pass the toll plaza.
    I should just be happy I'm getting close to 30mpg. :-)

Well its pretty tough to use cruse control in traffic. Also i'd recommend turning ECO mode off when you're in heavy traffic. Its best used on freeway speeds with no stop and go traffic.

The existing Real world MPGs thread has plenty of discussion this subject and how others have gotten better AND worse mileage, there's no need for yet another MPG thread when there's a sticky at the top of the section on it.
    off to the the dark side

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    Yes, the imperial (UK) gallon is defined as 4.54609 liters and a US gallon is a unit of volume in the U.S. Customary System equals 4 quarts (3.785 liters).
    Yea I looked it up after the other guy told me. Bloody US, always have to be different. Haha.

i'd b really annoyed if my car was not achieving its fuel consumption targets, because its not wildly fast, I appreciate the little bit of get up and go because its so fuel efficient.

I drive from Columbus, Ohio to Harrisonburg, Va almost monthly. It's about half HW and Half hilly terrain. I always get about 35-36mpg. Not bad, but it ALWAYS reads 37-38mpg. My readout has been consistently 2-2.5mph high since I bought the car. May not seem big, but it's frustrating when you think you're riding pretty at 37mpg and it's actually 34.5mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
    Several of us have also proved over time that we can get the car display to lie to us with very little coaxing. Rule #1, the car lies...
    Nah, nah - Rule #1 is CARDIO....

Rule #37 is THE CAR LIES.....
    Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

김치

Whats your best MPG for a tank?

Just curious what the best MPG you've achieved for a tank. I just got the car and my best is 35 mpg according to the monitor.

I have managed to put 416 miles on one tank, then an 11 gal fill-up, which comes to 37.8 mpg. Now granted that was very conservative highway driving. Hanging right around 68-72 mph and staying in the traffic line taking advantage of the draft. But, that is not normal driving for me. Just wanted to see was I could get out of it.
    Jay

Ultra Black "The Batmobile"
    As my kids affectionately call it!

Last January going to Fla.
    I got over 40 + going down and coming back.
    2012 Silver Ironman Style w/ DCT Born Aug. 27,2011
    Tint windows. 50 % all around

I will give the R-Spec Turbo a very long look seeing that my lease is up in about 6 months.
    Sometime you take a chance on something and it rewards you with things you never thought of.
    Bought my Veloster from Brandon Garvin @ Taylor Hyundai and will buy my next from him.........
    Just added a Tucson Limited AWD and couldn't be happer ....... July 20,2013

I'll repeat this again, the monitor can lie, never trust the car, use pen and paper or similar, but do the math yourself. If anything the car data tends to be overly optimistic.

Here's the monster MPG thread where we discuss this at length, no need to start it up again here in General when we have an ongoing thread in the Engine section Real world MPGs
    off to the the dark side

Diane, aren't you going to tell him that there is already a similar thread to this one? I have been messaged numerous times about this....

Well.... You just wrote it. Great. My bad

I read about the first 6 pages of that thread and didn't get many actual answers of MPG's, let alone best MPG. It's more of just talking and determining how to calculate MPG. I'm just curious about what people have gotten as their best MPG however they want to calculate it. I think its a different question that deserves a different thread. Its easier for people to just post their results and see other's results without having to weave through 36 pages of unrelated dialogue.

Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG is a good site that a lot have put up MPGs on the Velosters (and other cars)

Here is mine: https://www.fuelly.com/driver/zaq/veloster
    my best is 38.5 (as of today) but as diane said...the only way to know your real MPG is to calculate it yourself (total miles driven since last fill-up) / (number of gallons pumped)

and here are all of the velosters: Hyundai Veloster MPG Reports | Fuelly

My best 40.6 calculated, average 36. Suggest you go to fuelly.com and look at what people are posting for their Velosters on that site. Many of our members document their full tank fill ups there. I thought about making a wisecrack about mpg of a U.S. Army tank, but decided not to.

Looks like Zach beat me to the Fuelly thingy.
    2012 NAV / Tech Pkg, Born 7/24/11, Mine 9/17/11, 6MT, Boston Red, R/B Seats.
    Inovit Force 5 18x8 +42 wheels, Saikou Michi Micro Catch Can, InJen SRI, Tint
    25% around, 10% Roof.
    LED Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Interior & License Plate Lights. Custom exhaust tips,
    6000K Xenon HID, 6000k HID Fogs. 45k miles as of 2/13/14.

45mpg on odometer and 49.9mpg on Eco-coach app

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements