Veloster Forum banner

Iffy throttle response

8K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Caboose 95 
#1 ·
almost 1 week on from when i first picked up my baby a few days on i realised low-speed manoeuvres Parking and such can be quite awkward, those are the new car/brakes i know, but does anyone else's auto Veloster almost feel like there's gigantic turbo lag right at the bottom of the rev range. does anyone else have the same problem? a N/A 1.6 4 cylinder should get up and go like a bullet.

#6 ·
To Tuns, I think what he's attempting to do is describe with comparison, the initial unresponsiveness when first applying the accelerator to turbo lag. To the OP, there shouldn't be any overly discernible lag when accelerating from a stop. There have nonetheless been some people who have noticed a very slight lag with our electronic throttle control (fly-by-wire) in contrast to the old school direct wire system, but it shouldn't be so obvious so that it affects normal vehicle operation. Acceleration should be smooth and linear. If it were me, I'd likely have Hyundai look at it and see if they can replicate the problem.

#7 · (Edited)
So mad.

I'm assuming you got the DCT. There is part of the transmission called the clutch actuator that engages the clutches and disengages them. When driving at low speeds, it's not going to slam the clutch down and make the ride jerky so you have to give it a tad bit more gas to make it move around, kind of like in a manual when driving slow, you don't let the clutch all the way out. If you floor it, the actuator will engage the clutch more aggressively and you won't have that "lag" feeling.

#8 ·
Yep thats precisely the thing i was doing, trying to compare, i wasnt saying it was a turbo cause its not! its a 2012 Veloster + DSG. could also be the fact that ive never driven a car with a DSG gearbox before so could just be a matter of getting used to it. It also feels like the car is jerky just as u set off and seems the brakes are also rather touchy, could just be that they are much better than the previous car i used to own

#15 ·
So Ive owned my 13' Veloster for a while, kicking nice at 150,000 miles. So even though it drives like an automatic, its a manual transmission. Using a dual clutch in the gearbox, kinda simular to a supercar. It'll be super jerky at creeping speeds because the clutch is made for racecars; either gunning it or stopped, it's not designed to work at low speeds. Big solution, never drive in drive, always use sport mode, it has a manual transmission, so drive it like it is one. Also on the lag, the car likes to drive above 3,200 rpm. At low speeds. Having fun... I dont shift until 5200 rpm just because i got some miles put in her. I'd red line it if was newer. Great car and dont forget, if you change your own transmission fluid, it doesnt take automatic transmission fluid. It takes manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.