Veloster Forum banner

Can you disable the missing key warning sound?

11K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  absoluteyeti 
#1 ·
I park the car at the store and run in quick for something and my car makes that annoying loud buzzing sound because the fob is in my pocket. Is there any way to have it not do that?

#2 ·
The only time this happens is at my house when I decide I need to run back in to get something and the engine is running! Not sure I want to leave the car running at the grocery store even if I have the key in my pocket. If the car is not running then the only other thing possible is a door, including the hatch, is not shut properly.

#4 ·
Yeah .. but when they get to where they're going and turn it off they can't restart it :rolleyes:

I've always though this was a dumb feature. There has to be some safety regulation that stops manufacturers from making the engine shut off if the car gets a given distance from the fob (in case of a false state)

#5 ·
Well, yea, I wouldn't leave it running to go grocery shopping. I mean quick jaunts into the convenience store. I'm not particularly worried then. Plus it's not just that. Every time I go to my storage unit it screams because the lock key is on the car's keyring, when I forget something in the house (which unfortunately I do a lot, I'm old heh), stuff like that.

Soooo, aside from finger-wagging about it being a bad idea (lol) anyone know if it's possible? I guess I could try to track down whatever speaker is creating the sound and see if I can disconnect it. *shrug*

#7 ·
FWIW leave the door closed but unlatched. that grey area where you can't pull the door open but it isn't fully closed? that will stop the key noise.

Reactions: Incognito and Zach
#8 ·
And don't forget to activate the big flashing neon light saying 'Take me, I'm free'

Anyway, if I left my car running while I walked into the store, the MF exhaust sound would attract undesirables like gunshot sounds attract Zombies in TWD :)

Reactions: Ricketts
#10 ·

I located and terminated that sucker lol. Posting here in case someone else is searching for this and stumbles across this thread. I removed the airbox and the other plastic piece in front of it and there it was, a little blue box. Pulled the plug and now no more annoying buzz. Ahhh lovely lol.

#12 ·
Actually, I had given up on it. I had the car in for inspection the other day and asked my mechanic about it and he said it's probably in the front behind the grill. I had been looking at the firewall because I would've sworn that's where it sounded like it was coming from. Got home and found it in short order once I knew where to look.

I'm not particularly worried. I once let my 7 series sit in a parking lot, windows down keys in the ignition for three hours and had no problem lol.

#13 ·
Thanks for sharing your findings, I may consider doing this someday to mine as well; when working on cars & shuffling them around in the driveway or running inside the market to grab a drink while my passenger sits in the AC it would be nice not to deal with the key proximity buzz.

#14 ·
regardless of the noise, i havent found a way to hold the key fob, exit the car and lock it without it unlocking on its own.

It would be really cool like Mini Coop to just have the car running leave the car with the key fob in my pocket, but lock the car while its still on while i run in the store or house for a sec.

#15 ·
All you have to do is lock the car when you are in, then unlock only the driver door manualy (whit the non electric knob) then exit the car and lock it with the key you find in the keyfob, the door whil stay locked and you can unlocked it only with the same key, i do that often in winter to let the car run

#16 ·
stoked, gonna try this when i get off work broski, thanks

#20 ·
Arguably this is the best thing i've accidentally stubbled upon here. I absolutely hate the car is running beep during the winter. Additionally for other's awareness you do not have to unplug or modify anything to disable the door lock noise. It's programmable from the fob somehow (i accidentally disabled mine)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.