NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Windshield Replacement Already - 6 month old V

  1. #1
    Member adronix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Summerside, PE
    Posts
    35

    Windshield Replacement Already - 6 month old V

    Driving home from the Halifax airport a nice little stone hit my windshield under the driver side wiper blade. Didn't think much of it until I started to cross the Confederation bridge changing altitude the little dust mark rapidly expanded into a crack and went across my entire windshield. Pretty neat to see but not so fun to replace. Unfortunately there is only one replacement near me (Montreal) so I have to wait another week or so. Just wanted to drop a venting line. Also like to thank the Dezrois for the informative instructions on how to upload the shell to play videos! Epic!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member sc.veloster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    422
    Adronix, now may be the time to consider getting your windshield tinted(before installation). Not 10% limo, but maybe that clear UVA/B blocking kind. I am sure because the glass is off the vehicle, it would be cheaper to install
    Master Procrastinator.
    White with Red & Black, Style and Tech

  4. #3
    Senior Member 3H2H1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UPSTATE NEW YORK West Henrietta
    Posts
    2,369
    Sorry to hear, just be glad that stone only got the window!
    A window is so much easier to replace that having to do body work and repaint...
    3H2H1 = THREE HONDAS TO HYUNDAI ONE = 이것이 제 첫번째 현대 될 것이다

    A PICTURE BELONGS HERE, PLEASE LET ME HAVE THAT, PLEASE...




  5. #4
    Senior Member DeMarioii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brockport,NY
    Posts
    1,366
    Hey mine too. A truck though it would be cool to throw a rock into my windshield. Full glass coverage ftw

    Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    My Veloster<---Click it!

  6. #5
    Senior Member CanadaJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Nr Belleville Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    100
    I've had to have mine replaced too. I had a crack form in the right bottom corner, drivers side. No stone, no nothing, it just appeared. Took it to Hyundai and they agreed it was not a stone chip and replaced it under warranty.

    Unfortunately when it was replaced they managed to scratch the silver surround on the door handle on the passenger side. I took it back and the guy from the windshield company agreed to pay the cost of replacement. He also mentioned that he hated changing the veloster and accent screens as they are made from very thin glass and crack really easily. He said he normally pushes the screen into the frame with his hands after fitting, but cannot do it to these in case it breaks.

    Clearly there is problem with these screen being fragile.
    Took delivery of my brand new DCT with tech in triathlon grey on 16th Dec 2011.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Wireguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    287
    Me, too. Though I've been too lazy to have it replaced yet...

  8. #7
    ljs
    ljs is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1
    I have the same problem. Just 1700 miles on my veloster and a cracked windshield. It looks like its going to cost me over $500 to replace. What a racket.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1
    My wife has had her Turbo Velotser for less than 6 months and we are fixing to put the second windshield in. I truly believe that there is a design flaw in these win shields. Anyone else with this problem please let me know at kapoteete@comcast.net
    It goes from a lil chip to half way across the windshield in less than a day. I have never had a car with these issues its really getting rediculous.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    92
    Not sure about your city but there are mobile auto windshield replacement services out there. Call them and they will come to your place to replace your windshield. Mostly should be around $200-$300.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    Guilty of having to replace mine already too, work truck had a piece of metal fly out the back and barely hit the bottom left hand corner of the windshield

    Better the glass than the body IMO
    MTD likes this.

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    V purchased 11/2011 Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
    Posts
    621
    Guys......Add full glass coverage (if available) to your auto insurance policy and your covered in Full. A mere $20 a year for glass on my comprehensive coverage is well worth the piece of mind. I also have a chip lower right hand corner but it hasn't expanded and it's on passenger side so it can wait. When I do get it done it will cost me $0 dollars do to my full glass coverage on auto insurance policy.

    Kapoteete, A small chip can rapidly expand with temp changes (defrost on cold day) vibrations from driving road roads etc. causing what you see on your VT, it's not unheard of nor likely a design flaw. If I started to tap on the little star in the chip on my V's windshield I could extend the crack all the way across it. Windshields are a two layer glass with plastic in between to hold it together & structural stability. Rear and side glass are tempered and break into tiny pieces when hit so you'll never see them crack they shatter instead, all part of their design.
    Ray T

  13. #12
    Senior Member jkt1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by RayT2 View Post
    Guys......Add full glass coverage (if available) to your auto insurance policy and your covered in Full. A mere $20 a year for glass on my comprehensive coverage is well worth the piece of mind. I also have a chip lower right hand corner but it hasn't expanded and it's on passenger side so it can wait. When I do get it done it will cost me $0 dollars do to my full glass coverage on auto insurance policy.

    Kapoteete, A small chip can rapidly expand with temp changes (defrost on cold day) vibrations from driving road roads etc. causing what you see on your VT, it's not unheard of nor likely a design flaw. If I started to tap on the little star in the chip on my V's windshield I could extend the crack all the way across it. Windshields are a two layer glass with plastic in between to hold it together & structural stability. Rear and side glass are tempered and break into tiny pieces when hit so you'll never see them crack they shatter instead, all part of their design.
    New York has windshield replacement: Which states have free auto glass replacements? - Free Windshield Replacements.com Maybe you want to pay an extra $20 for the side and rear (and roof) glass. But windshield -- covered already.

  14. #13
    Senior Member tidybowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,392
    it's just bad luck. I had a broken windshield on another car replaced and cracked the new one a month later.
    MTD likes this.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    V purchased 11/2011 Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by jkt1954 View Post
    New York has windshield replacement: Which states have free auto glass replacements? - Free Windshield Replacements.com Maybe you want to pay an extra $20 for the side and rear (and roof) glass. But windshield -- covered already.
    You missed the important part of that message on that weblink "for a driver who has comprehensive insurance" and mislead our forum participants.... Comp is not mandatory in New York it's optional that's why I pay the $$ for that additional coverage

    Ray T

  16. #15
    Senior Member NEVL666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,299
    Think yourselves lucky you don't live here in Calgary. If I replaced a windshield everytime it cracked I'd be doing it 8-12 times a year .. for chips 1-2 a week. I picked up a small chip the very first day I drove it (same with my Jeep when I had it). My other two vehicles both have cracks that run side to side, with the odd crack running off them to the bottom. Luckily they are not in my line of sight. I know if I replaced them I'd have another chip or crack the next day.
    Full glass insurance here is bloody expensive. My Ins. Co. wanted $500 for full glass coverage on the VT (I guess because of the roof).
    MTD likes this.
    2013 - Veloster Turbo - Century White - Black Interior/Grey Accents - A/T
    Piercemotorsports VT-One series strutbrace
    Piercemotorsports Rear Torsion Bar
    Solo-Performance 3" Cat-Back + Flowmaster Tips
    K&N Typhoon Intake + Drycharger Cover
    Just call me Nevil the Devil

  17. #16
    Senior Member jkt1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by RayT2 View Post
    You missed the important part of that message on that weblink "for a driver who has comprehensive insurance" and mislead our forum participants.... Comp is not mandatory in New York it's optional that's why I pay the $$ for that additional coverage

    Duh - that's why I said pay additional if you have to. I am not misleading anyone.

  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    V purchased 11/2011 Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by jkt1954 View Post
    Duh - that's why I said pay additional if you have to. I am not misleading anyone.
    OK Homer, you stated........ But windshield -- covered already. WRONG ! You are not already covered for "Free Windshield" in New York unless you have comprehensive coverage is exatctly what I said. Comp is not mandatory you can opt not to carry it, so without it no "free" windshield. I pay additional on my comp coverage for "Full Glass" which covers the rest of the windows.
    Ray T

  19. #18
    Senior Member jkt1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by RayT2 View Post
    OK Homer, you stated........ But windshield -- covered already. WRONG ! You are not already covered for "Free Windshield" in New York unless you have comprehensive coverage is exatctly what I said. Comp is not mandatory you can opt not to carry it, so without it no "free" windshield. I pay additional on my comp coverage for "Full Glass" which covers the rest of the windows.
    Assumption is that you MUST have COMP INSURANCE to begin with as you probably have a car payment. It would not be assumed on an older pre-owned car that was bought with cash. Sorry to have disturbed you. Every state varies on this so sorry once again if I misread states that cover windshield replacement when I search all of the U.S.

  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    V purchased 11/2011 Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by jkt1954 View Post
    Assumption is that you MUST have COMP INSURANCE to begin with as you probably have a car payment. It would not be assumed on an older pre-owned car that was bought with cash. Sorry to have disturbed you. Every state varies on this so sorry once again if I misread states that cover windshield replacement when I search all of the U.S.
    Not a disturbance and ya know the old saying with "assumption". Just want the right info to get out as far as New York auto insurance goes. You are on the mark if you have financed a car purchase then the coverage is required.
    Ray T

  21. #20
    MTD
    MTD is offline
    Senior Member MTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ON, CAN
    Posts
    3,912
    SO I guess insurnace coverage is greatly different from state to state haha.

    My old Mini Cooper wne through 3 windshields in about 2 years. I was only $300 to replace it after the 2nd and 3rd times, so I didnt bother with insurance. The guy at the shop I went to said Minis and many other smaller hatchbacks were the most common. Lower to the grond and many with more upright windshields.
    captainofiron likes this.
    '13 VT

  22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. Transmission went out of automatic at 1 month old.
    By judahgirl in forum Hyundai Veloster Engine and Transmission
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 01:18 PM
  2. After 2 month, finally get it
    By patcatwai4 in forum Hyundai Veloster General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 07:47 AM
  3. Replacement for 8 inch sub?
    By V-5.0 in forum Hyundai Veloster General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 12:18 PM
  4. Place to meet every month.
    By samuelrodri07@yahoo.com in forum Events and Meets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2