Veloster Forum banner

Wish I had never bought a Veloster

8K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  Energized 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 Veloster with less than 13,000 miles on it. Yesterday I tried to back out of my garage. Put it in reverse and voila, nothing. Car would not move. This is the second time this has happened. I put it in drive and then back to reverse and it finally engaged. Nice. Oh, and every time I merge into traffic and need acceleration the "wonderful" Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) says, "oh, let me sit here and try to figure out what your pressing on the gas is telling me, hold on, I'm thinking." This car is dangerous and I can't believe Hyundai gets away with it. They should buy this car back and let me pick a Sonata or something. Anyone else have these issues?

#5 ·
Sorry bro DCT is terrible lol

#9 ·
Wow sorry OP. Guess the car was built on a Friday.

#14 ·
My 6 MT is in sports mode all the time, for a small car with a little engine i just don't get buying an automatic.

I know thats no help, i just hear about a lot of trouble with the automatic, i guess they thought improving something that was similar but still hands free was a good idea, it's to bad.

#15 ·
My 6 MT is in sports mode all the time, for a small car with a little engine i just don't get buying an automatic.

I know thats no help, i just hear about a lot of trouble with the automatic, i guess they thought improving something that was similar but still hands free was a good idea, it's to bad.
Your VT with MT has a sports mode? I thought only the A/T had a sports mode?!

#16 ·
Maybe he's referring to the clutch switch mod?

#18 ·
lol... Yes i was just alluding to a stick being infinitly better than an automatic in such a small and underpowered car.

#19 · (Edited)
That was the lvl of help I found here as well. "I bought a manual because I'm super smart" or "you can't name yours Betty - that's my name!"

I have a 2013. same issues. I would rant that this car was dangerous etc. It's shifting was INSANE. Sometimes I would just sit in place after pulling into a lane while it decided what gear to pick and then I would lurch forward or turtle forward. I actually joined this group hoping to figure out wtf was going on. at 28k It finally quit going into gear. I would have to turn it off and let it sit. After that I had it towed to the dealership who has it now. they said that the clutch motor is bad. They will have it for a week as they have to order parts. They did not offer me a loner car (nor did I ask) but did say it was covered under warranty. I am hoping this will correct all of the issues I was having. I will let you know after I get it back if u want.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#22 ·
That was the lvl of help I found here as well. "I bought a manual because I'm super smart" or "you can't name yours Betty - that's my name!"

I have a 2013. same issues. I would rant that this car was dangerous etc. It's shifting was INSANE. Sometimes I would just sit in place after pulling into a lane while it decided what gear to pick and then I would lurch forward or turtle forward. I actually joined this group hoping to figure out wtf was going on. at 28k It finally quit going into gear. I would have to turn it off and let it sit. After that I had it towed to the dealership who has it now. they said that the clutch motor is bad. They will have it for a week as they have to order parts. They did not offer me a loner car (nor did I ask) but did say it was covered under warranty. I am hoping this will correct all of the issues I was having. I will let you know after I get it back if u want.

Whenever this happens to me, I just ghost ride the whip...

#20 ·
The DCT will either be 100% awesome or 50% terrible. It's bad. I am sorry.

#23 ·
Seems i'm another one who wish never bought this car.

My problem was excessive motor oil consumption and was needed to change the engine short block. Really frustrated of only 96000 Km. Hopefully i could provide all the oil change records to them. Dealer got authorized from Hyundai to change the short block covering by warranty. My dealer could also provided a loaner car to me.

But after 2 weeks, i'm still driving the loaner Elantra. The problem was dealer found a part of the short block was difference from the old one. Hyundai suggested dealer to order that different part separately. But dealer mentioned it's no stock in Canada. Have to wait.

It gave me good chance to test drive the loaner 2016 Elantra (ODO 1250 Km). It's totally amazing comparing to my NAV DCT. Much powerful, more responsive and smoother even on ECO mode. Really hope it's the engine and transmission on my V.

#24 ·
I love the style of this car and refuse to let its many shortfalls stand in the way of enjoying and appreciating it. Had they not found the issue though it was gonna have to go. It really was dangerous. I don't mean it wasn't fast enough I mean it would take off in first then shift at which point could be anywhere from a 2 sec delay to 5 or 6 sec while it tried to find a gear. This is a massive amount of time when you have pulled into 45 mph traffic. Other times I would pull out and it would redline - me screaming SHIFT!!!!!. I would have to completely let off the gas and let it slow down before it would do it. These issues are serious and honestly enough to get someone killed. I am disappointed that Hyundai has not addressed this but happy it's being made better. My fingers are crossed that this corrects the problem and no other damage was done because of it.

the ambulance has arrived! It will all be better soon. I know it will!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai Hyundai veloster

#28 ·
You guys could all just buy MT next time.
not many people know how to drive a 6spd, I just helped my neice learn how to drive one. All my cars have been stick but 3,really want no other kinda tranny then a 5 - 6 spd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.