Veloster Forum banner

Wish I had never bought a Veloster

8K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  Energized 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 Veloster with less than 13,000 miles on it. Yesterday I tried to back out of my garage. Put it in reverse and voila, nothing. Car would not move. This is the second time this has happened. I put it in drive and then back to reverse and it finally engaged. Nice. Oh, and every time I merge into traffic and need acceleration the "wonderful" Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) says, "oh, let me sit here and try to figure out what your pressing on the gas is telling me, hold on, I'm thinking." This car is dangerous and I can't believe Hyundai gets away with it. They should buy this car back and let me pick a Sonata or something. Anyone else have these issues?

#33 ·
I get something similar when I am in reverse and try to go in the morning. It locks up a little then gives in and reverses. Sometimes there is even a little clunk before engaging. I have no idea what this could be, but it probably has happened about 10 times since I bought it in April 2014. I have a 2014 MT VT. I don't know if it something to bring up to Hyundai.

#34 ·
Did you ever find out what was causing it? What did the dealer say about it? I just hit 40k miles on my '13 and fortunately have not had any of the issues you're having. ( knock on wood ).
I drive mostly on the tollway here in Houston and usually at 70-75 mph when traffic is not bad.

#35 ·
The dealer said it was a bad "clutch motor". The car was at the dealership for close to two weeks as the first replacement they got in was also bad. They said "it would not "accept the programming" once they got it in and had to order another new one. I have it back now and OMG, I LOVE IT!!!!!!! it is seriously everything I had hoped it would be when I bought it. I spend about 6 to 8 hours a night in this car at least 5 days a week. This repair has fixed EVERY issue I had with this car. I understand peoples frustration because until it completely broke I was never sure if my expectations were just to high for this car or something was broken. I have had it back for the last few nights and really pushed it to its limits. There is not one things about it I do not love and does not fully perform to my expectations or above. I have not messed with the paddle shifters at all since getting it back because I will rarely if ever use them. I love manual transmission - but not like that. They are kinda neat though and always a conversation piece for ppl who have not seen them. Everyone loved my car from the day I got it. Now I do to. Thank you to Hendrick Hyundai for making my car awesome and not being one of those places claiming they "couldn't recreate the problem". I hope this is helpful to anyone having similar issues. I only check here every so often but if you need more info about my cars diagnosis to help your service tech with yours just msg me and I will do my best to help. I know how bad it sucks when people who got one that worked tell you things like "If you don't like the Veloster then GTFO, we don't care." They do not speak for everyone who comes here and certainly not for me.

#36 ·
I'm glad they have rectified your complaints, i wasn't trying to be a douche dude, the car is underpowered... It's frankly just the truth, needs high RPM's to perform at all, thats why i got a manual, i wouldn't even have looked at the DCT, same as i wouldn't buy any new car not fully loaded or the color of my choice, doesn't mean i think i'm super smart.

Reactions: SubnormalSWANNY
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.