1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 999RXerox

Thread: How much audio can stock alt take?

How much audio can stock alt take?

Sorry I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if there is a specific section for audio or not. If so point me in that direction.

On to my question. I want to hook up my subs, however, I don't know how much the stock alternator can take. I had a 500w system hooked up to my old Honda and it had some headlight dimming issues. When I put them in this car, I want to add another 500w amp. However, there's the stock 450w amp on the stock sub and speakers. Can the stock amp and maybe an upgraded battery handle that system setup? Or do I need to beef up the alternator?

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to car audio, so, if you could tell me what I would need to do to run this setup? Thanks for the help guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Maybe a stiffening capacitor will be a cheaper / easier solution. Also there are numerous threads about using line convertors, summing devices to add external amps.

I'm running an RF P1000X5 and RF ThreeSixty.3 off the OEM battery and no dimming issues
    Last edited by 999RXerox; 05-29-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    db doctor likes this.
    Proudly using parts / services by:
    6th Element Engineering, 845 Motorsports, BC Racing, Diode Dynamics, Essendon Hyundai, Final Inspection, Glow Shift, Jun BL, K-Sport, NST Pulleys, Pierce Motorsports, Morimoto, Non Stop Tuning, Pro Flow, Race Ramps, Rajab Racing Developments, Rockford Fosgate, Roll Control, So Cal Garage Works, Synapse, Tippett Auto Design, Tork Motorsports, XKGlow

My .02 worth: If you use high-strand, quality power wire for your amp, grounded well, OE battery is fine. Like our Aussie friend says, a cap is a viable solution for those instant transients. If any dimming occurs (should NOT) next step is to upgrade the OE battery to a high current gel cell battery. Unless you plan on entertaining your entire town, an alternator upgrade is never the right solution. NEVER.

Happy pounding!
    2013 Re-Mix Edition, 6 speed manual, Sprint Grey. Vogue Sig V 225/40/18 tires with Garageline 15/20 Spacers

Sound system:
    Factory Radio
    Audiocontrol LC2i
    Quantum Audio QE6 Equalizer
    Soundstream Picasso NANO 4channel Class D/Picasso NANO 2channel Class D/Tarantula NANO Mono Class D Amps
    Soundstream Reference R1 12" Subwoofer/Earthquake SWS 6.5 woofers
    DS18 EXL Door Speakers and Pro Tweeters
    Cadence Flash 6.5 Midbass Pro Audio Speakers
    MAXXsonics power distribution, XS secondary battery

don't really know the details about installing a system but have an 1200 watt amp on 2 10 inch subs with the factory head unit and I have no dimming issues at all. so I'am assuming you should have no issues either.. and oh yeah its sounds ridiculous you're going to love it

I think a cheaper solution would be to buy some hearing aids.

I am running the stock alternator with 2 extra batteries and a 5,000 watt amp on the sub and an 800 watt amp on the highs. no dimming issues. Some slight seeing and breathing issues though. Lol

I used to run a 2000W sub and amp in my old 2010 mazda3 and there was some severe dimming at loud volumes. For that reason, I opted for a little less drain in my NAV. I have 500W sub and amp and it runs perfectly. No shorts, no blown fuses, no dimming. Its GREAT! (also plently loud enough to drown out the mids and the highs if i so choose.

Btw if you are unsure of what you need or if your setup will work, the guys at crutchfield.com will help you out.

Hugo is spot-on about Crutchfield. Ultimate professionals, very knowledgeable.
    2013 Re-Mix Edition, 6 speed manual, Sprint Grey. Vogue Sig V 225/40/18 tires with Garageline 15/20 Spacers

Sound system:
    Factory Radio
    Audiocontrol LC2i
    Quantum Audio QE6 Equalizer
    Soundstream Picasso NANO 4channel Class D/Picasso NANO 2channel Class D/Tarantula NANO Mono Class D Amps
    Soundstream Reference R1 12" Subwoofer/Earthquake SWS 6.5 woofers
    DS18 EXL Door Speakers and Pro Tweeters
    Cadence Flash 6.5 Midbass Pro Audio Speakers
    MAXXsonics power distribution, XS secondary battery

10. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread