NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Where's the spare tire?

Where's the spare tire?

What happens if your veloster gets a flat?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

You use the repair kit.
    The above post is a positive-discussion inducing post, it is not meant to talk down on anyone, or seem overly negative. Any foul language in the above post is not directed at anyone in specific. The above post was not posted with the only purpose being to troll or start drama.

Stop Having a Boring Tuna, Stop Having a Boring Life.

Wow. Nice that Hyundai is looking out for owners by eliminating a major safety feature like a spare tire and giving them a repair kit instead. I can see how they are cutting costs. Next you're gonna tell me that they charge you for floormats.

It comes with a tire repair kit. A new V comes with Hyundai's Road Assistance thing for some time I think. You could always buy a spare

Buy a car with a spare then.
    Century White | Red/Black Interior | Style | Manual

Quote Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
    Wow. Nice that Hyundai is looking out for owners by eliminating a major safety feature like a spare tire and giving them a repair kit instead. I can see how they are cutting costs. Next you're gonna tell me that they charge you for floormats.
    Many car companies are doing this.

Does it really surprise you though that one of the cheapest cars on the market uses cost cutting measures?
    The above post is a positive-discussion inducing post, it is not meant to talk down on anyone, or seem overly negative. Any foul language in the above post is not directed at anyone in specific. The above post was not posted with the only purpose being to troll or start drama.

bee
    yep a charge for mats as well.

As stated, many high end manufacturers do not include a spare as well.
    2013 Veloster Turbo | Matte Gray | Ultimate Package

Consumer reports article on how many companies these days are leaving off spare tires to save money and weight.

How to prepare for driving without a spare tire

What happens if your veloster gets a flat?
    If your mechanically inclined by a tire plug kit for radial tires and carry that with you. The V's kit comes with a compressor (for inflation) & tire goop for internal patching which makes a mess outta the inside of the rim in sealing the puncture. If your tire failure is in the sidewall your screwed no matter what cuz the V's kit or tire plugs can't repair sidewall failures.
    If you decide to buy a spare don't forget to buy a jack & lug wrench also cuz the V does not come with those either.

Ray T.

I had a flat on I39 in my Insight so jumped out and put the spare on. Took it to the tire store, dropped it to be fixed and went to my meeting. They called and said not only was the tire destroyed by what I hit, but it also punched a hole through my aluminum mag wheel.

First flat I ever had in my life while actually driving, and I have been driving since 1971.

So, when I raised the hatch floor in my V and found no spare, I called the dealer. Upon finding out they don't come with spares in the US I called a Canadian dealer and ordered the entire donut kit and had it in a week.

Most of the time you don't get flats. And with the Insight flat, no inflator or patch kit would have worked.

My investment in the donut spare is worth the piece of mind.
    Velsoteray - Blue, tech, tinted, totally debadged, black & blue custom paint and vinyl from wheels to roof.

How much did the kit run you if you do not mind me asking

This entire thread is nothing more than another feeble attempt at this troll trying to show his almighty CR-Z is better. In reality it shows how truly pathetic he is by trolling a Veloster board and trying to talk trash. Saw a CR-Z on the road tonight, nothing special about it and looks like every other honda in my opinion. Maybe lthe troll is having buyers remorse, thus the reason he won't leave the Veloster board and continually attempts, and fails miserably, to point out how the CR-Z is better.
    2012 Boston Red with DCT, Style and Tech packages, and Red and Black interior

Osram Night Breaker Plus H7 high/low beam bulbs with Nokya 2500K Hyper Yellow Fog Light Bulbs

Diode Dynamics Level II lighting installed

Injen Short Ram Intake with a Magnaflow 12224 Muffler

35% Tinting All Around

Born on February 1, 2012 --- Purchased on March 28, 2012

sledge, I got took and I knew it back in December when I bought the kit. Close to $500 including delivery to my home from Canada. At the time US dealers were saying Hyundai was developing a donut kit and it would be out in a few months. Did not make sense, as the Canadian Vs come with spares, so the kit already existed. 3 dealers just shrugged their shoulders. Plus, I drive 3,000 miles some months so could not wait. I put it on and drove with it; works fine. And it fits perfectly in the area below the hatch floor. I guess I have a Canadiamerican V, huh?

So recently, I see sites advertising this kit for just under $300. Can't remember which 2 I saw it on. So if you want a kit I would search for one of those lower price options. But don't buy an Elantra spare. All 3 dealers told me they fit, but they melt V brake lines. Saw it in posts on this board, too.

Re the CRZ, I drove one, and several facts kept me from buying. It has no back seat; it rides very, very rough; and it looks to much like the Insight I got rid of. I don't think the CRZ is a bad car, but I do think the V is a better value overall. Who is the CRZ-owning troll? I think I missed something.
    Velsoteray - Blue, tech, tinted, totally debadged, black & blue custom paint and vinyl from wheels to roof.

OK.. if you're gonna bitch about Hyundai, how about all the rest...shame on Astion Martin, Audi, BMW, Cadillac and the rest for cutting costs!!! Yes, a few come with runflats, but many have the same inflator & sealant kit we have, and unlike many of the others, WE have 5 years of unlimited mileage roadside assistance.

Other than the Equus & Genesis, floor mats are optional accessories for Hyundai - and cost about $85 for most cars. On a Corolla, it's part of a $353 package (mats, cargo net, trunk mat & rear bumper protector). Others charge for it as well....

Vehicles without a spare tire
    Acura
    FCX Clarity: Inflator and sealant kit
    Aston Martin – All models have an inflator and sealant kit
    Audi
    A5 (2008 – 2011): Runflats
    A6 (2009 – 2011): Runflats
    A7 (2011): Runflats
    Q5 (2009 – 2011): Spare tire stored w/out air. Inflator is provided
    Q7 (2007 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    S4 (2006 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    S5 (2008 – 2011): Runflats
    TT (2008 – 2011): No spare. Inflator and sealant kit
    BMW – All vehicles are equipped with Runflats, except:
    1M: Inflator and sealant kit
    M3: Inflator and sealant kit
    X5 (2007 – 2011): Spare tire optional, Runflats are installed when not equipped with a spare
    X6 (2009 – 2011): Spare tire optional, Runflats are installed when not equipped with a spare
    Cadillac
    CTS (2008 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    SRX (2010 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    STS (2005 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    XLR (2004 – 2009): Runflats
    Chevrolet
    Camaro (2010 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    Corvette (2005 – 2011): Runflats
    Cruze (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    Equinox (2010 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    Volt (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    Chrysler: All SRT models with 20 inch wheels are not equipped with a spare
    Dodge
    Viper (1998 – 2010): Inflator and sealant kit
    Ford
    Explorer (2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    Focus (2008 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    GT (2005 – 2006): Inflator and sealant kit
    Mustang (2011): Inflator and sealant kit (except GT Base, which has a spare)Vehicles without a spare tire
    GM
    Terrain (2010 – 2011) Inflator and sealant kit
    Honda
    Odyssey Touring (2005 – 2010): Runflats
    Hyundai
    Accent (2011 – 2012): Inflator and sealant kit
    Elantra (2011 – 2012): Inflator and sealant kit
    Sonata Hybrid (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    Veloster (2012): Inflator and sealant kit
    Jaguar
    XF (2009 – 2011): Spare tire optional, Runflats or inflation kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    XK (2007 – 2011): Spare tire optional, Runflats or inflation kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    Lexus
    LF-A (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    SC series (2003 – 2010): Spare tire optional, Runflats provided when not equipped with a spare
    Lotus – All models equipped with inflator and sealant kit
    Mazda
    MX5 (2006 – 2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    Mercedes
    R350 BlueTEC (2011): Runflats
    GL350 BlueTEC (2011): Runflats
    E350 BlueTEC (2011): Runflats
    SLS AMG (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    SLR McLaren (2005 – 2009): Inflator and sealant kit
    Mini (all models) – Spare tire optional, Runflats or inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    Nissan
    370z (2009 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    GT-R (2009 – 2011): Runflats
    Pontiac
    Solstace (2007 – 2009): Tire inflation kit
    PorscheVehicles without a spare tire
    Boxster (2005 – 2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    Carrera GT (2004 – 2008): Inflator and sealant kit
    Cayman (2005 – 2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    Panamera (2010 – 2011): Inflator and sealant kitVehicles without a spare tire
    Saturn
    Sky (2007 – 2009): Inflator and sealant kit
    Scion
    iQ (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    Smart
    Fortwo (2005 – 2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    Toyota
    Sienna XLE (2004 – 2011): Runflats
    Volkswagen
    Touareg Hybrid (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
    Volvo
    C30 (2008 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    C70 (1998 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    S60 (2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    XC60 (2010 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    XC70 (2008 – 2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
    dianebrat, Runebane and khulsey like this.

2013 Elite White Veloster Turbo M/T with Ultimate Package | 2009 CBR 600RA (RR w/ABS)

Chuck -- stop bitching about bitching. This is a very real concern. Many of us would like to have a spare. It's just how we have always functioned. It doesn't matter that Hyundai has joined a growing list of car manufacturers that choose to loose the spare simply to improve the MPG numbers. It is a very real safety issue. I would not mind having a spare. I drive up to Palm Beach Gardens sometimes, and am on the dark and desolate Beeline Highway -- I really would like something besides a can of Fix-A-Flat and a toll free number -- how long am I going to be sitting on the side of the road when I could have handled this myself?
    Last edited by jkt1954; 04-13-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Honda charges for floor mats...
    White/Red Tech Package

Quote Originally Posted by jkt1954 View Post
    Chuck -- stop bitching about bitching. This is a very real concern. Many of us would like to have a spare. It's just how we have always functioned. It doesn't matter that Hyundai has joined a growing list of car manufacturers that choose to loose the spare simply to improve the MPG numbers. It is a very real safety issue. I would not mind having a spare. I drive up to Palm Beach Gardens sometimes, and am on the dark and desolate Beeline Highway -- I really would like something besides a can of Fix-A-Flat and a toll free number -- how long am I going to be sitting on the side of the road when I could have handled this myself?

"
    Quote Originally Posted by happy.time.harry View Post
    Honda charges for floor mats...
    "

Whether it comes with the car (the charge is already then built in) or if it an accessory (and they charge upon purchase) -- they have charged you either way. BUT you have the choice of not getting them if it is an option! If it is included -- you paid for them and had no choice.

Chuck -- stop bitching about bitching. This is a very real concern. Many of us would like to have a spare. It's just how we have always functioned. It doesn't matter that Hyundai has joined a growing list of car manufacturers that choose to loose the spare simply to improve the MPG numbers. It is a very real safety issue. I would not mind having a spare. I drive up to Palm Beach Gardens sometimes, and am on the dark and desolate Beeline Highway -- I really would like something besides a can of Fix-A-Flat.
    Yes, I would prefer a spare, but I usually drive mainly within the city and know I do have roadside assistance to get a tow to a dealer if there is a failure that the Fix-A-Flat won't repair. If I was really worried about it, I would buy a spare - I'm not.

My problem is with uninformed people complaining about Hyundai "cutting costs" like they are the only ones on the market that are providing inflators & sealant - which is far from the case.

2013 Elite White Veloster Turbo M/T with Ultimate Package | 2009 CBR 600RA (RR w/ABS)

Do you guys really think having a little donut spare is all that safe? If you drive those things farther than the nearest dealer or tire shop, you're taking your life in your own hands. I was with a buddy on a road trip in his GMC Denali Hybrid. It also did not have a spare. We picked up a nail and used the tire repair kit with the compressor. It took about 2 minutes and we drove on it for about 45 minutes with it holding normal pressure the whole way. No jacking up the car on the side of the road and swapping it with some flimsy little donut spare. I really think you're making too much out of the lack of a spare...
    White/Red Tech Package

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements