Veloster Forum banner

Veloster Ratings... Really #33?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Aloha_From_Bradley 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure this out. U.S. News and World Report has the Veloster at #33 on the list for small cars. I'm tying to figure out how this can be? I steeped into the Veloster Turbo, and I had to have one. I even sold an Acura RSX Type S in perfect condition with the load of Legit Mods to get into a brand new Veloster Turbo with all the bells n whistles. I even drove a Civic Si the same day I bought my Veloster. When I was driving the Civic I felt as if I was in a bubble. It was numb, unresponsive, dull, and felt slow. The interior was so 1999. I felt like I took a trip into the past, and brought back a civic from two decades ago with a different body style.

I was a true Honda Fanboy. I still love them to death, and the throttle response is unmatched. But the overall ride, features, and feel of the Veloster (specifically the Turbo) feels so much more quality. So I'm wondering how a car like this gets the 33rd spot. I don't even understand the ratings. There are some cars that got an overall score out of 5 stars that scored lower then others... but still ranked higher. I don't understand this. Also, there are multiple ratings online that put the Veloster at a better 0-60, more space, and a better warranty then the Cooper S, but regularly score the Cooper higher. I've also regularly seen ratings for the Veloster that are based solely on the "base model," with occasional side notes indicating how much better the Turbo model did in all categories, but never really elaborating.

So is this just because it's a Hyundai? Or is something else going on? Even the Sonic, Spark, Prius, and Focus topped it on the list. I've also seen reviews where the 0-60 times have varied from 6secs up to 8.3 Where is this info coming from? Do you guys think it really deserved the 33rd spot? I honestly can't think of another car that I would rather own for the money, at least without mods. Am I missing something here?

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah like Gunz mentioned OP, all statistics can be manipulated based on countless factors or agendas. Who knows what they consider acceptable rating and whats merely a subjective point of view for them. The important thing is do you like your car, are u happy w/ her/him, does it perform like a car u expect for the price range? If the answers are yes, then to hell w/ theyr ratings. :)

Reactions: JGunz18
#5 ·
Yeah like Gunz mentioned OP, all statistics can be manipulated based on countless factors or agendas. Who knows what they consider acceptable rating and whats merely a subjective point of view for them. The important thing is do you like your car, are u happy w/ her/him, does it perform like a car u expect for the price range? If the answers are yes, then to hell w/ theyr ratings. :)
^^^Amen!

#6 ·
agreed that they cannot speak for the masses... but i do wish that hyundai had put a littl emore thought into the engine. the 2.0T wouldve be nice

#11 ·
Okay, so it dawned on me the other day when I was talking to my girlfriend in the car. Ford uses those Eco-Boost engines. Don't they cut off 4 of the 8 available cylinders when the car isn't under load? Just a thought. This would vastly improve the gas mileage. Basically running a 4 banger. I would love to see the numbers running on 8 cylinders only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.