Veloster Forum banner

Plasti dipped two wheels black.

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  miata 
#1 ·
It took only one can to do it. I made about 5 very thin coats after washing the wheels clean and drying them.
When I took the colored inserts out, I liked how the wheels looked without them. Therefore, I painted the wheels and the center cap only and just left out the spoke inserts. I waited about 20 minutes between each coat of spray. For the center cap, I painted the whole thing two thick coats and peeled off the middle circle so the chrome "H" could show.

I did only two wheels because that's all I had time for today. :)
I will do the other two when I get motivated again.

It was breezy outside so I painted them in the garage with a large piece of cardboard blocking any possible paint traveling to the car parked in the garage.
I didn't mask the tires. I won't even bother to peel off the overspray. It is really unnoticeable.

Jacking up the car was easy. After loosening the lug nuts, I used a long piece of 2x4" on the floor jack and lifted the middle of the car. Placed two jack stands and took the wheels off.

By

By [

By

By [

B

By

By

By

B

See less See more
#2 ·
Call me old but I just don't understand doing this. Those wheels where the main reason I paid for the Tech package.
What you like matters most since you're the one making the payments but seeing everybody doing this just seems odd. :confused:

#9 ·
Age has nothing to do with it. Some folks like blacked out wheels, and this an inexpensive way to do it that is reversible and turns out surprisingly nice. Really, nice, actually.

We like the wheels, too -- even more so black.

Plus, I ground one into a curb and the $400 replacement hasn't arrived yet, so it covered it up nicely...

Besides, no payments here! Paid cash!

#11 ·
Yellow cars look better with black wheels, IMPO (In Many People's Opinion). I would have chosen black wheels if Hyundai offered them with yellow Veloster. Why do you think the Steelers uniform is in yellow and black instead of yellow and silver? Black and Yellow are like the best contrasting colors. bumble bees are black and yellow also. Our eyes are not new to black and yellow combination. Why yellow cars only come with black interior? because gray interior will look horrifying. Remember black and yellow....

#12 ·
You are right about the black and yellow. But as a Cowboy fan did you really need to bring up the Steelers. :(
I can't wait to get my windows tinted to add more black to mine. Yellow car, black front end, rear end, windows and top.
But not the wheels. That's just too much for me. And it's not shiny black...It's flat black. ;)

#15 ·
I like the tech wheels as they are, but agree the black does go well with the yellow in particular. I think one of the nicer looking wheels Hyundai offers right now actually comes on the Elantra Touring GLS - if only it wasn't a 16". I think the gunmetal would look good on a few different color V's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.