NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Just found the gripping limits of the V on a wet road!

Just found the gripping limits of the V on a wet road!

Well, this morning, i decided i was so happy with all of the recent work i had just completed on my V, that i was going to reset the ECU(or try the old fashioned way... disconnect the battery for however long, fully depress the brake, reconnect), and then go joy ride it pretty hard to maybe have it relearn more aggressive timing and whatnot (fat chance, and it'd be temporary i'm sure, but what the hell.) so i pick some backroads, and right now here in Charlotte, NC it's a little drizzly.. perfect road condition for some slippery driving. I turned off that restrictive ESC crap and was pushing it the entire way on some backroads, pretty much hoping that the morning cops hadn't had their donuts and coffee, yet. I made it to a very, very, tight right turn on a 45mph 2 way road that had flat farm land on either side. To give an idea of how tight, the recommendation for speed around it is 25mph (why they don't drop the speed limit to 35mph to simply avoid this enjoyable curve is beyond me). On a dry day, i can easily grip it going 60mph (on the speedo, so maybe 57 in real speed?), today, i was revvin it up, hit it going 70mph on wet road, and the back hit a bump.... oh no. I knew as soon as i hit it that it was not going to hold, the car just started spinning sideways to the right. I straightened out my steering wheel to stop from spinning right OR spinning left and just kind of skid, but the front tires started skidding off the road (in a strip of dirt where it seemed many had had this experience before), i turned the wheel back right to just continue the spin instead of go left and risk absolute chaos, it spun back 'round the way i was going (literally like in a movie, granted i ended in the middle of the road and cars actually stopped instead of flying by). I sat for a second, waiting for any bluelink or lights or anything, pushed in the clutch and tried starting it..... it sputtered, and didn't start. I let it sit a few more seconds since it essentially stalled in 6th, pushed in clutch turned the key, started it up, and drove 'er home.... I have never felt so lucky in my life, and I am so lucky I handled the situation in that way, I wasn't even too nervous, it felt very easy to gain some sort of control back from the V even while it's spinning like a top. lol. I'll probably be putt-ing around these next few days, that was way to stupid and to close of a call for me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by danieljk91 View Post
    Well, this morning, i decided i was so happy with all of the recent work i had just completed on my V, that i was going to reset the ECU(or try the old fashioned way... disconnect the battery for however long, fully depress the brake, reconnect), and then go joy ride it pretty hard to maybe have it relearn more aggressive timing and whatnot (fat chance, and it'd be temporary i'm sure, but what the hell.)

So i pick some backroads, and right now here in Charlotte, NC it's a little drizzly.. perfect road condition for some slippery driving. I turned off that restrictive ESC crap and was pushing it the entire way on some backroads, pretty much hoping that the morning cops hadn't had their donuts and coffee, yet. I made it to a very, very, tight right turn on a 45mph 2 way road that had flat farm land on either side.

To give an idea of how tight, the recommendation for speed around it is 25mph (why they don't drop the speed limit to 35mph to simply avoid this enjoyable curve is beyond me). On a dry day, i can easily grip it going 60mph (on the speedo, so maybe 57 in real speed?), today, i was revvin it up, hit it going 70mph on wet road, and the back hit a bump.... oh no. I knew as soon as i hit it that it was not going to hold, the car just started spinning sideways to the right. I straightened out my steering wheel to stop from spinning right OR spinning left and just kind of skid, but the front tires started skidding off the road (in a strip of dirt where it seemed many had had this experience before), i turned the wheel back right to just continue the spin instead of go left and risk absolute chaos, it spun back 'round the way i was going (literally like in a movie, granted i ended in the middle of the road and cars actually stopped instead of flying by).

I sat for a second, waiting for any bluelink or lights or anything, pushed in the clutch and tried starting it..... it sputtered, and didn't start. I let it sit a few more seconds since it essentially stalled in 6th, pushed in clutch turned the key, started it up, and drove 'er home.... I have never felt so lucky in my life, and I am so lucky I handled the situation in that way, I wasn't even too nervous, it felt very easy to gain some sort of control back from the V even while it's spinning like a top. lol.

I'll probably be putt-ing around these next few days, that was way to stupid and to close of a call for me!

Well, as long as you're safe...

Glad you are ok. You were lucky. Be smart. Be safe.
    2006 Miata

Sold: 2012 Yellow Veloster Style & Tech. Manual transmission. Born on 11/18/11. Purchased 2/4/12. Magnaflow 11224 +10414+ dual tip.

im glad u are ok first of all. second of all what are the mods u made on ur v and what is overall gain.. i installed a ingen cai and magnaflow exhaust and feel a lil gain not to much

Well, this morning, i decided i was so happy with all of the recent work i had just completed on my V, that i was going to reset the ECU(or try the old fashioned way... disconnect the battery for however long, fully depress the brake, reconnect), and then go joy ride it pretty hard to maybe have it relearn more aggressive timing and whatnot (fat chance, and it'd be temporary i'm sure, but what the hell.) so i pick some backroads, and right now here in Charlotte, NC it's a little drizzly.. perfect road condition for some slippery driving. I turned off that restrictive ESC crap and was pushing it the entire way on some backroads, pretty much hoping that the morning cops hadn't had their donuts and coffee, yet. I made it to a very, very, tight right turn on a 45mph 2 way road that had flat farm land on either side. To give an idea of how tight, the recommendation for speed around it is 25mph (why they don't drop the speed limit to 35mph to simply avoid this enjoyable curve is beyond me). On a dry day, i can easily grip it going 60mph (on the speedo, so maybe 57 in real speed?), today, i was revvin it up, hit it going 70mph on wet road, and the back hit a bump.... oh no. I knew as soon as i hit it that it was not going to hold, the car just started spinning sideways to the right. I straightened out my steering wheel to stop from spinning right OR spinning left and just kind of skid, but the front tires started skidding off the road (in a strip of dirt where it seemed many had had this experience before), i turned the wheel back right to just continue the spin instead of go left and risk absolute chaos, it spun back 'round the way i was going (literally like in a movie, granted i ended in the middle of the road and cars actually stopped instead of flying by). I sat for a second, waiting for any bluelink or lights or anything, pushed in the clutch and tried starting it..... it sputtered, and didn't start. I let it sit a few more seconds since it essentially stalled in 6th, pushed in clutch turned the key, started it up, and drove 'er home.... I have never felt so lucky in my life, and I am so lucky I handled the situation in that way, I wasn't even too nervous, it felt very easy to gain some sort of control back from the V even while it's spinning like a top. lol. I'll probably be putt-ing around these next few days, that was way to stupid and to close of a call for me!

Tires Tires Tires Tires. If your going to drive like an asshat then research a good set of tires. The stock tires are not adequate for what your doing.
    MTD and lobo302 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee RideFar View Post
    Tires Tires Tires Tires. If your going to drive like an asshat then research a good set of tires. The stock tires are not adequate for what your doing.
    yea when I get the money I'll get Michelin sport polits for my car.Had them on my BMW z3,worked great in the winter.
    2012 Silver Ironman Style w/ DCT Born Aug. 27,2011
    Tint windows. 50 % all around

I will give the R-Spec Turbo a very long look seeing that my lease is up in about 6 months.
    Sometime you take a chance on something and it rewards you with things you never thought of.
    Bought my Veloster from Brandon Garvin @ Taylor Hyundai and will buy my next from him.........
    Just added a Tucson Limited AWD and couldn't be happer ....... July 20,2013

Quote Originally Posted by lobo302 View Post
    yea when I get the money I'll get Michelin sport polits for my car.Had them on my BMW z3,worked great in the winter.
    Seriously? In winter?
    2006 Miata

Sold: 2012 Yellow Veloster Style & Tech. Manual transmission. Born on 11/18/11. Purchased 2/4/12. Magnaflow 11224 +10414+ dual tip.

Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Seriously? In winter?
    Yea.When I bought my Z3,I knew it would need tires before the winter ( 2008 ),so I was going to get the summer version of them.The salesman at the tire place asked if " would ever " drive in the winter I said I hope not,well 1 month before I was to put my car away My work car died on me I couldn't find anything that wasn't overpriced to replace it.I hadn't got my tires yet, so I went back to the tire shop and had them put on the all-season michelains,and was I suprised.it held the road in snow and slush and was very comfotable to ride on.So when its time to get new ones for my V,it will be them,a little pricey but from what I had used well worth it.
    2012 Silver Ironman Style w/ DCT Born Aug. 27,2011
    Tint windows. 50 % all around

I will give the R-Spec Turbo a very long look seeing that my lease is up in about 6 months.
    Sometime you take a chance on something and it rewards you with things you never thought of.
    Bought my Veloster from Brandon Garvin @ Taylor Hyundai and will buy my next from him.........
    Just added a Tucson Limited AWD and couldn't be happer ....... July 20,2013

I'm glad to hear you made it out alive without so much as a scratch, except maybe on your pride. I agree the stock tires on the V's aren't a very good choice but once again, Hyundai and ALL OEMs put on tires to keep the total vehicle cost down. Very few OEM tires are worth a hoot in my experience. But you'll replace them with something much better soon enough I'm sure.

Blog Entries
    Glad you're OK.

So far, I'm really liking my Continental ExtremeWeatherContact DWS, although I haven't had an opportunity to do any "spirited" driving because... there are very few roads where you can do so. It's pretty much flat and straight in my area. Meh.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
    Vigor the Veloster - 2012 Marathon Blue/Black Interior, DCT, Package 3 (USA Tech & Style)
    Born Christmas Day (Dec. 25), 2011 - Delivered Feb. 10, 2012

Stupid "restrictive ESC crap", having it on would only have made things worse im sure.

Truth be told, i drive hard everyday with ESC on, and it only activates during "oh ****" moments, the car will allow you to slip decently before taking over. i can hear my tires on just about every corner and every now and then when i realize im taking a corner too fast, the car helps me out.

I say go try it again with ESC on, and see if you really think you can push the car harder than it will let you.

I'm more than relieved esc wasn't on, I'd assume it would have locked up and kept me spinning or heading off of the road. It was reckless, but I was turning on my one good replacement front left so I thought it might hold..:P it did, but the oem back ones didn't. My pride isn't too hurt, I'm embarrassed from recklessness, but pretty surprised and pleased with how I saved it and didn't go into shock, I actually felt in control and felt I knew how to avoid chassis and luckily I was right.I wasnt very phased, just pulled over to do a check and drove home.

I guess I am always driving on edge then I feel like the esc is way overactive

Quote Originally Posted by lobo302 View Post
    Yea.When I bought my Z3,I knew it would need tires before the winter ( 2008 ),so I was going to get the summer version of them.The salesman at the tire place asked if " would ever " drive in the winter I said I hope not,well 1 month before I was to put my car away My work car died on me I couldn't find anything that wasn't overpriced to replace it.I hadn't got my tires yet, so I went back to the tire shop and had them put on the all-season michelains,and was I suprised.it held the road in snow and slush and was very comfotable to ride on.So when its time to get new ones for my V,it will be them,a little pricey but from what I had used well worth it.
    Michelin's are amazing tires. I had Primacy's installed on my Mustang and they rode real nice.

I know of quite a few people that swear by Michelins.
    Proud owner of a ULTRA BLACK Veloster named "Stink Bug" since Jan 3rd, 2012.

Alpine PDX-F4; Alpine PDX-M6; AudioControl LC2i w/ACR-1 (Awaiting Install)
    Injen SRI/CAI (INSTALLED 06/14/2012)
    Viper 3303 Alarm w/motion sensor (INSTALLED 05/02/12)
    ...waiting for more goodies

DanielJKT91, All I can say is
    1) Please use paragraphs! Wow, that is a wall of words!
    2) 70mph on a wet twisty commuter road is risking not only your own life but everyone elses that is on that road anywhere near you. Not cool. Go to a track when you want to drive like that.
    2012 Red w/ Red/black DCT Tech+Style : "Velosteraptor" since Nov 15, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Velosteraptor View Post
    DanielJKT91, All I can say is
    1) Please use paragraphs! Wow, that is a wall of words!
    2) 70mph on a wet twisty commuter road is risking not only your own life but everyone elses that is on that road anywhere near you. Not cool. Go to a track when you want to drive like that.
    DanielJKT91,

The story and experience were cool up until the point of mentioning the other drivers on the roadway, not cool ! You'd feel pretty bad if ya had gotten tangled up with an innocent passerby and caused injuries, beleive me I have seen enough of it in the fire service, not pretty.

I'd have to agree w/ Velosteraptor, that kind of driving is meant for the track. So join your local SCCA club and have at it where it's meant to be, on a racetrack where the only harm done is to you and the car not some innocent bystanders.

I'm taking my V to Limerock Connecticut next weekend for just this type of "legal" fun for an autocross. Should be interesting to learn the limits even if it is on the stock tires.

Ray T.

Taking it to the track is the better option for sure but he was on backroads. Backroads are much quieter, sightlines are better, and the risk of hurting others is lower. You will still get a fat stack of tickets if your caught but its a more calculated risk. As far the crap ESC... you have no idea what your talking about. That will allow you to take corners better. Unless your a pro racer I highly doubt you could out drive someone with ESC on. It is meant to keep your wheels doing what they should be doing. You were lucky.
    MTD likes this.

They weren't there until after I was sitting in road, I'd never risk taking a turn like that with traffic

MTD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee RideFar View Post
    Taking it to the track is the better option for sure but he was on backroads. Backroads are much quieter, sightlines are better, and the risk of hurting others is lower. You will still get a fat stack of tickets if your caught but its a more calculated risk. As far the crap ESC... you have no idea what your talking about. That will allow you to take corners better. Unless your a pro racer I highly doubt you could out drive someone with ESC on. It is meant to keep your wheels doing what they should be doing. You were lucky.
    I very rarely turn the TCS off on my Genesis and its much more of a handful then a Veloster. An understeering FWD car like the Velo might benefit from having it on if anything. Id rather have a slow but smooth line through a corner then be off into the weeds.

Ideally a TCS system with different modes would be idea. Wet, dry, performance, etc. Each allowing slightly more or less intervention of the TCS system depending on the mode.
    '13 VT

Quote Originally Posted by MTD View Post
    Ideally a TCS system with different modes would be idea. Wet, dry, performance, etc. Each allowing slightly more or less intervention of the TCS system depending on the mode.
    I totally agree, but cost would be an issue on a sub 25k car.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements