NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Handling in snow/ bad weather?

Handling in snow/ bad weather?

Hey guys, been reading for a while, but finally signed up. So has anyone had the chance to test out their Veloster in the snow and or bad weather? How does it handle/drive? Does it slip all over the place? I live in a state that has some pretty bad winters with a lot of snow and am weighing this factor in my buying decision.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Leon -- there are a couple of threads in here on snow and the veloster here is one. Hyundai veloster in the snow. Personal experiences.

Most seem to be going with another set of wheels and snow tires. I am going to hang with what I have right now to see what happens.

I'm not fond of the stock tires in the snow. This winter hasn't been too bad so i haven't been in anything deep but even a light coat of snow renders acceleration and braking useless.
    '12 Veloster with Style - Triathalon Gray/black, MT

mine has the stock setup and has been ok in the snow sofar.

With snow tires it's great. That said...I wouldn't want to go with the stock tires.

We just had 7" in Seattle yesterday and I went out in it NO problem at all... I have a snow set on my V 16" blizzack's... and I have a stick and no slidding at all on icey back streets and HILL's here.

The ABS kicks in way too often, but the Solus tires are fine for me. Haven't had any issues up in the Rockies on snow and ice.

Of course, you can't compare them to dedicated snow tires --

I have been driving with my stock 17 inch nexens in 2 or 3 storms.they are not the best in the snow because they are all seasons but if you truly know how to drive they aren't a problem.i remind you though you must drive with full attention if going with the all seasons in winter lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wireguy View Post
    The ABS kicks in way too often, but the Solus tires are fine for me. Haven't had any issues up in the Rockies on snow and ice.

Of course, you can't compare them to dedicated snow tires --
    Still kicks in often with snow tires with any decent pressure on the pedal. Brakes feel terrible with ABS also, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red style View Post
    mine has the stock setup and has been ok in the snow sofar.
    When you say stock, do you mean the 18 in Style tires. I have the style package, and since we haven't had any snow yet this year, I would like to find out how the 18 in tires do in snow.
    Vlad the Veloster - Vitamin C, DCT, Style

MTD
    Apparently not very good. Most all-season tires are usually not that great in most conditions. A dedicated winter and summer tire is the best choice. 15" winter wheels and tires for the Veloster can be had for as little as $600 from TireRack. A sound investment IMO.
    '13 VT

Had a chance to drive freeway and mountain roads on Sunday 1/15/2012 Light snow in places and slush also some frezzing rain for a short distance. Plus heavy rain. I thought my automatic V held up very well. Slush and deep water did not pull the wheel out of my hands like my old PT Cruiser did. That car scared me in bad weather. For me the V was awesome did freeway speeds most of the way 290 miles with no handling problems. Cornered great with no slippage. I can't help you with deep snow. But the light stuff was no problem even with stock tires.

I should be finding out tomorrow how well the V handles in wintry weather ... unless I chicken out and just drive my fiance's Rav 4 to work, haha.

Personally though, I've never had a huge problem driving FWD vehicles in the snow--and I have never had a special tire for any car I've owned (albeit, they were a 93 Plymouth Sundance and a 2000 Saturn SL2...much heavier cars...lol). I just drive like a grandma on those days and hope for the best

I'm more worried about all the other people driving like idiots in bad weather!

Proper winter tires + speed appropriate for conditions + driving skill = any car is suitable for winter. Period.

I took mine through the most hellish winter conditions imaginable in Quebec last week, including up to Tremblant from Montreal and back during a 15 cm snowfall. Zero issues.
    Current car: 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec (White Satin Pearl)
    NOTE: All views and opinions are my own.

Looking into a set of Continental DWS. Had them on last two vehicles and despite the cost they are excellent in snow as well as fair handling on ice.
    they are also a very quiet tire on normal roads in normal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoasis View Post
    Looking into a set of Continental DWS. Had them on last two vehicles and despite the cost they are excellent in snow as well as fair handling on ice.
    they are also a very quiet tire on normal roads in normal conditions.
    I don't know which wheels you have on your V, 17" or 18", but if 18" do you think a switch to the DWS tires will lessen the harshness/noise of the Tech suspension?

Dec 17th drove back to dealership on the 18 tech rim and rubber in about 4 inchesof bad slush and snow ... The thing was all over the place and tc was going nuts (that's turned off all the time now) .. Went to 16 steelies with Pirelli winter rubber .. Dec 27th had about 14 inches come down and at 3 am took it for a run through a little "course" I have near a dealership near me .. Dream machine .. Ebrake drifted like a dream. Did that for about an hour then went back home 200yards away. The car is relatively balanced in the front .. The back is a different story but manageable ... Under daily driving conditions it is great with the winter rubber ... A little low but that's what I get ...

Are you guys for or against engine breaking on icy/snowy roads?
    Proud owner of Marathon Blue base 6spd Veloster

MTD
    I always do. My Genesis is usually in a gear too low to slow itself down easier.
    '13 VT

I run 17 inch Falken Winter Tires and I am very happy with them. Got the chance to test it out in the snow and the car did very well. Back end came out on one corner but that's about it. If you are careful and have winter tires you will be fine.

Driving in snowy conditions is more dependant on the person driving the car versus the car itself. How many AWD trucks have we seen in the ditch?

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements