Veloster Forum banner

Finalized Veloster Review | Interior, Exterior and Driving Impressions

19K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  BayEagle 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Veloster Review and Recommendation Thread by: Dezoris

After about a year of trying to find the right car to replace my 2000 Honda Insight I made the decision to purchase the Veloster.

The other considerations were: Honda CRZ, Mazda3, Honda Fit, Ford Focus.

The Hyundai Veloster represents a fresh re-think of what a modern day economical hatchback should be.
No complicated hybrid or battery technology, just a well designed motor and lighter weight chassis make this car efficient.

The cost savings of not using hybrid or battery technology allowed Hyundai to put more resources in design and interior quality. The end result is an affordable car for the masses with the look and feel of something more up market.

Trailer for Review

Video Review Part 1 | Driving Impressions

Video Review Part 2 | Interior and Exterior

Video Review Part 3 | Electronics (Coming Soon)

Pros:

• Alignment - Initial Turn-In
  • Handling - Neutral
  • Manual Transmission
  • Interior Quality
  • Driving Refinement
  • Risky Styling
  • Curb Weight
  • Traction Control - Non-Invasive
  • Fuel Efficiency when driven carefully
  • Color selection
  • Limited production

CONS:

• Reflector headlamps
  • Steering feel in low speed situations virtually disconnected and numb.
  • No Instant MPG Meter
  • Shift Knob Bulky
  • Arm rest not adjustable
  • Body gaps in front fenders
  • Wheel and Tire choice/size
  • Rear Seats don’t fold flat
  • Touch Screen Features locked down
  • Speakers are flatter than Kansas
  • Paint Match on Bumpers compared to sheet metal off

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Recommended Improvements

Interior Improvements Requested (Non Electronic):

• Armrest needs to be adjustable forward (On a sliding rail)
  • Armrest needs more padding possible stitched on “leathette” cover.
  • Cup holder wells could be slightly deeper not to interfere with shifting.
  • Glove box light needed
  • Door panel lighting would be welcome
  • Add hatch/cargo lighting assembly added driver’s side.
  • Rear seats need to be re-designed to fold flat or mimic Honda’s magic seat (Honda Fit).
  • Shift knob assembly on manual transmission is too large and needs to be rounded more ergonomically for easier grip and for ease of downshifting namely in second. Too bulky.
  • Shift knob, reverse spring loaded lever is too easy to constantly lift during shifting, looks pretty but not ergonomic, namely for smaller hands.
  • Add metal dead pedal to match other pedals.
  • Rear plastic panels rattle easily from audio system, redesign clips or add insulation.
  • Consider adding auto climate control like other Veloster markets and dual zone.
  • European Veloster Gauge cluster should be the benchmark for USA and Canada market.
  • Speakers are extremely flat sounding, very little dynamic range.
  • On sunroof model, the fabric screen flaps badly with windows rolled down.
  • Build a catalog of dealer installed accessories, shift boot, shift knobs trim pieces, short shift, kick panel trim, aluminum kick plates.
  • HVAC control knobs feel and look very cheap compared to rest of the car. Flimsy feeling. The red marker plastic to show position or level looks like a red/orange paper sticker.
  • Consider LED interior lighting
  • Lift gate cargo area cover attached to hatch when closed has the strings that bang around in lateral movement and sounds like something is sliding around in back.

Interior Improvements Requested (Electronic):

• Enable USB and disk video playback on USA models or at least explain why every other country has it enabled but the USA firmware?
  • Add HDMI, even without HDCP it would be nice to plug your phone in for mirror mode. This would be a massive value add and innovative feature. Display on car is 800x480 very common resolution for mobile devices. Figure it out with legal, make it happen. This would also help your global market product.
  • Enable DTS and AC3 surround sound on Dimension Audio packages (Why was this left off, Korea has it)
  • Instant MPG meter in dashboard and touchscreen, (serious omission, allow for DTC update for older vehicles.)
  • Update LG firmware to allow for OBD2 readings to help with MPG such as TPS data, real time MPG coolant temp etc.
  • Fix and improve ability to turn display off. When off it wakes up when you change a radio station, track etc.
  • Enable more android friendly features or create app for android so touchscreen has better integration with phones.
  • Explain BT audio streaming bitrate and quality issues in your manuals or documentation.
  • Touch screen should have all documentation about every feature on screen per window. If you are in Iris.exe (USB playback mode) a little question mark should be on that screen so you can find out technical info about that module or executable.
  • Create a customizable menu key for when you press INFO/SETUP on the display you should be able to add your own hot keys to quickly do functions like “Turn off display” “Brightness” etc.
  • Windows CE roms frozen, prevents customization, unlock it and allow more user content.
  • Allow customization of Shell bootup screen and boot up audio, ringtones for BT phone calls without having to try and hack bootloader and firmware.
  • Fix Gracenote bugs where apple products do not auto resume when plugged in. (Have to disable gracenote to get auto resume to work)
  • Add ability to create playlists for USB devices. Its already saving the last track data to the storage partition in Windows CE, not hard to make a list of tracks in the same directory for easy playback.
  • When enabling Floor and Defrost on HVAC, A/C compressor is activated but A/C light does not illuminate. Give option to disable A/C on that mode.
  • Bluelink Bugs galore, ECO coach does not update properly, community features broken, web reports either don’t work or are never updated.
  • Clock button when pressed on head unit only displays clock for 5 seconds need option to leave it on screen without having to set it as screen saver.
  • My pictures mode, need to be able to view my pictures while also having audio playback going.
  • Create option to hold power button in and shut off display, not just show screen saver. This will improve life of LCD screen over many years of ownership.
  • Enable ability to turn off auto light control for interior illumination.
  • On proximity key models, when the car is parked and a phone call is activated, killing the engine kills all accessories and you have to push the button again to turn on accessories. In the models with traditional key start you can cycle down to accessory mode and kill the engine without having to lose power to head unit and other accessories. This is problematic when parking and on a connected BT phone call. You can’t kill the engine without cutting your call.

Exterior Improvements:
  • The reflector style headlamps have poor light output and cheapen the look of the car. (Constant complains about them.)
  • Projector style headlamps from Korean market and Euro market should be standard.
  • Optional HID with tech package or top level package.
  • Offer light weight smaller wheel options. Consider 16” wheel options as well. (Cost difference between quality summer tires between 18” and 17” is almost $400)
  • Consider simple front lip, rocker panel trim.
  • Consider front wheel spats for improved aero.
  • Hood is extremely heavy, consider use of aluminum.
  • Front fender/hood body gaps large, you can actually see VIN stickers through gaps.
  • Paint match on bumpers compared to body is poor.
  • Consider flat underbody tray to improve air flow and aero.
  • Ditch the plastic hood inserts, UV fade and products with petroleum distillates will discolor them in a few years.
  • Figure out how to reduce frontal area and drag without killing bold style to improve MPG.
  • Consider a lighter weight stripper model with improved aero to compete with something like the Chevy ECO. Low rolling resistance tires, weight and aero could get the car in the higher MPG.
  • Be careful with 40MPG marketing lingo it’s almost impossible to achieve in any real world driving situation despite tricks and external tools to help driver.
  • Figure out water drainage for rear hatch for any type of incline. Water leaks on back seats.
  • Consider, LED side view mirrors.

Suggested Mechanical and Driving Dynamics Improvements:
  • Offer lighter weight wheels and better tire options for summer.
  • Offer lighter smaller weight wheels and lower rolling resistance tires.
  • Steering and alignment feel is excellent for the class, including turn in, however steering calibration is extremely over boosted at slow speeds there is zero feedback or feel during these maneuvers. Honda Fit and MX5 are good examples of cars with EPS that have good low speed feel.
  • (Response to John K. about steering on twitter)
  • Shifter feel is good overall, throws could be reduced, shifting feel could be improved with a more rounded smaller shift knob. Standard knob makes downshifting feel cumbersome along with reverse ring in the way.
  • Even with ECU update DBW modulation relative to accelerator position is synthetic. WOT is achieved with only 65% accelerator pedal depression. Throttle response just seems a bit slow, sluggish.
  • Engine still making power at fuel cut off, why not higher revs?
  • Intake sound is non-existent, refined however just a bit too lifeless.

See less See more
3 1
#3 ·
Thanks Dezoris. I always enjoy learning another person's perspectve on this car. The only thing I found completely different on mine compared to your's is the steering. At any speed, I find the steering feels like it's not power assisited at all! I've been building muscle mass from steering it...could certainly never use just a pinky to turn that wheel! Interesting.

I agree with you on everything except the center console temp/fan knobs. I like them and think they feel well built and solid.

Hyundai should have used a rolller shade style tonneau cover for the trunk (like on the current Elantra touring). They are far superior to these cheezy moulded plastic covers.

#10 ·
Interesting are you sure your power steering is working? I have been in several of them now and all are pinky operated.
My center knobs already have chips on them or the silver coming off, maybe they switched plastics mid cycle?

Wow, very nice review especially with the videos. Its great to see someone take the time and have the enthusiasm to to so. Lots of great pros.

But, I would like to comment on your cons and suggestions though. Constructive criticism if you will. I think many of the cons and things the car lacks are simply more cost effective and adding alot of things would increase the price. Many simple additions (extra features and options, higher quality plastics and materials) could add up to several thousand dollars. It is an economy car afterall.

Your options and contributions to this forum are those that I highly consider in my future purchase of a Veloster, but it almost looks like you're nitpicking. That list of improvements sounds awesome though.

Good job.
I just dumped every single thing that could be improved. Certainly does not mean it has to be. Overall there are no serious issues just a lot of little ones that add up. But none of it makes my driving experience negative.
Many things may increase price it's true.

Great review! When shopping for a car, did you ever consider the Scion tC?
Just can't get into the interior and exterior styling of the Scion unfortunately.

Dude...what's with your taste in music? Opeth + Kesha + Selena Gomez?

just busting your balls, great review to be honest and it's nice to actually read/watch a review that is critical of real things. Most reviews are fluff piece and people can't get past their own love for the vehicle. I don't have a V, I don't have one reserved, but I am in hunt of the right package. (also after I sell my pickup truck)

I'm also a bit concerned with the lack of Android integration, I understand at this point it's due to fragmented markets and numerous platforms. But damn it would be nice to have an app for full access with my Droid Bionic, or any other Droid for that matter.
Great review, Dez :D . You continue to impress with you dedication to this forum and your car. I can appreciate the videos, mainly because I know how much of a pain it is to edit videos to get them just right. 2 thumps up. Looking forward to see it finished. :)
Android integration needs work, but so does the head unit firmware all together. Its just something at the price point you won't see Hyundai and LG making any serious updates to do to cost.

#4 ·
Wow, very nice review especially with the videos. Its great to see someone take the time and have the enthusiasm to to so. Lots of great pros.

But, I would like to comment on your cons and suggestions though. Constructive criticism if you will. I think many of the cons and things the car lacks are simply more cost effective and adding alot of things would increase the price. Many simple additions (extra features and options, higher quality plastics and materials) could add up to several thousand dollars. It is an economy car afterall.

Your options and contributions to this forum are those that I highly consider in my future purchase of a Veloster, but it almost looks like you're nitpicking. That list of improvements sounds awesome though.

Good job.

#6 · (Edited)
Dude...what's with your taste in music? Opeth + Kesha + Selena Gomez?

just busting your balls, great review to be honest and it's nice to actually read/watch a review that is critical of real things. Most reviews are fluff piece and people can't get past their own love for the vehicle. I don't have a V, I don't have one reserved, but I am in hunt of the right package. (also after I sell my pickup truck)

I'm also a bit concerned with the lack of Android integration, I understand at this point it's due to fragmented markets and numerous platforms. But damn it would be nice to have an app for full access with my Droid Bionic, or any other Droid for that matter.

#7 · (Edited)
Great review, Dez :D . You continue to impress with you dedication to this forum and your car. I can appreciate the videos, mainly because I know how much of a pain it is to edit videos to get them just right. 2 thumps up. Looking forward to see it finished. :)

#11 ·
Dez, I've only had mine for a few days, so we'll see how the climate control knob ages.

I've driven 800 miles primarily highway so far, and it's at high speeds where I feel like there's little to no power assist on the steering, so I'll examine the slow speed steering more when I get back from a couple weeks of business trips and see if it passes the pinky test ;).

#13 ·
See the Windows CE and Headunit discussion.

#15 ·
i would have to say ive spent time in a cruze eco. you have to be careful with that car as well to get the advertised mpg's. it has a sweet spot. the reality is the cruze eco is rated 28/42, 33 combined and trhe veloster is rated 28/40, 32 combined. the cost savings there are so small as to be insignificant.

would i like some type of eco version? sure, but it would have to produce better numbers than the cruze eco to make it worth it, as it would be sure to be more expensive..

#16 ·
After watching this I want buy one............. wait I do have one in the garage.

First off Dezoris,this a great video and the time you took to do such report is great,can't wait for part 3.
I do agree with your points on the..............

all- season tires
head space in back
and the stering wheel although IMO I think the wheel is " smaller " than the avg. car.

I hope the next video you do is some on blue link,not that I'm having trouble with it,just don't know who to use it and will be taking a trip first of the year and would like to be able to know what I'm doing by then.

Thanks for a awsome review .............
Jamie L.

#19 ·
I hope Hyundai engineers or something take a look at this thread or somehow get our complaints. It would be nice to have issues addressed in future models.

#20 ·
great review, only i though it shoved certain things down ttyhe readers throat alittle too much. you mentioned led lighting about 4 times.. and the reflector headligghhyts like 3 times in a row.. i understand you were trying to make the review intricate, but it looks alittle more like space filler when you criticize the same object 3 times back to back.. fix these and flawless review.

#21 ·
Dezoris,

Your are a huge asset to the community. Kudos and hats off for producing such fine work. You've sold me and I love how genuine you are. You come with great experience and views. I appreciate people's opinions so much more if they are folks who have spent time on track!

#22 ·
I love the review. I totally agree with you about the shift knob being too bulky and I've been looking at having a custom one made. One bit you might want to mention is the total lack of ability to change the vehicle settings, unlike other Hyundai models. Usually you would hold the trip button when the car is stopped and it would pop up options on the central cluster that can be changed, such as door locks and headlight auto shut off, but the V with the tech package, like mine and yours, doesn't have this feature or at least I can't get it to work on mine. Once again, great review and keep it up.

#25 ·
It seems like you are going overboard yes every product you buy has things that are wrong with it and that can be improved but you have to keep in mind that

Compare it to other cars in its class

The price you paid for the car.

With all the things that you list a lot of people could not afford this car if the fixed all of them.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.