NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeRotch

Thread: Snow tires?

Snow tires?

This will be the first winter my vt sees, does anybody know how well they do in the snow? Is it worth it to buy some Blizzaks to throw on or do they handle alright? I live in Salt Lake and travel to the mountains often so snow will definitely be in the future.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Do yourself a favor and get the snows. Don't have the turbo, but regardless, the V handled great with snows last winter! You need a 16" minimum rim with the VT. Wasn't sure what you had in mind as far as that part of the setup was concerned.

drives fine, i have blizzaks on the oem 17" wheels.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual

The car itself is great, but the stock Kumho Solus KH25's are DEADLY slick. Spend the cash to get some real all seasons or snow tires. I opted to just replace the Kumho's with some Continental ExtremeContact DWS's. Well worth it.
    2013 Marathon Blue VT MT, Morimoto HID, 2 12" Shallow Rockford Subs 560W @ 1ohm, SOLO,TS FMIC, Injen CAI, TORK Pipe, CERMA'd, Uniq Collars + Strut Bar.... More to Come!

Parts Ordered / On Hand:
    TS OCC
    Nokya Arctic White Fog Bulbs
    Nokya Arctic White High Beam Bulbs

Soon:
    Tork Catless DP, BPS Shift Bushings, Tork Stage ~1.5 tune, Rear Sway Bar.... For now.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires are awesome

2013 Marathon Blue NAV w/Style and DCT... Traded at 16,010 miles for the VT Above!

I didn't run snows but I also don't take the V into the mountains. Running accross the flats has been fine for the last two winters only got hairy during one spring storm last year climbing the hill back into the valley from the west desert. Not fun! That storm caught me off guard. I have a truck that I drive when the flakes are fresh. You do NOT want to run OEMs if your going to be on heavy snow, or on snowpack. I highly recommend a good set of snows, with studs if your running the canyons on a daily basis. If its a weekend climb to ski, snows with some chains in the trunk for the really heavy snow days. The V does fine, but when you cross the limits of the suspension and tires, it's a very unnerving experiance.

Yes definitely get snows!! I got X-Ice 2's on mine and my VT handles awesome in the snow.
    bhughes24 likes this.
    "If there is a god, then why did he make me an athiest?" - Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by tlyons1022 View Post
    The car itself is great, but the stock Kumho Solus KH25's are DEADLY slick. Spend the cash to get some real all seasons or snow tires. I opted to just replace the Kumho's with some Continental ExtremeContact DWS's. Well worth it.
    How much do the snow tires run?

I wasn't aware I needed a smaller wheel to get the full effect of snow tires. Is it crucial or is it just safer with 16's?

The few people that I have asked about it have indicated that the extra sidewall though not necessary is helpful in the snow. I'm pretty sure you can get the 17's in a snow version but you may end up paying as much for the tire as you would tires and rims. Shop it around and see what works.

I saw in another thread a link to tirerack.com - they recommend a 15" wheel for snow tires on a Veloster. Has anyone tried these?

I'm not sure if the Michelin X-Ice Winters are still on closeout w/ Tire Rack, but they were not too long ago. OK, I just checked and there are only 2 left in a 16". However the Blizzzak's are here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wtpackage=true @ $139/....
    '13 VT Ultimate-MT in Ironman Silver w/ Black Accents & MSR 095 Black Pearl 18x8" Wheels
    SFR Custom Tune (+40whp & 39Ft-lbs torque gains)
    INJEN SRI, SOLO HF Cat, QR-300S Resonator & 3" Cat-Back Exhaust
    JL Audio XD-700/5 Channel Amplifier
    Focal 'Integrated' ISS-165 6-1/2" [Front]
    Focal CA-165 6-1/2" coaxial drivers, [Rears]
    JL Audio 10" W1 Subwoofer in 'AE' ported enclosure
    Pierce Motorsports Torsion Bar, VT-ONE Strut Bar, Tiebar Brace
    Sales@SilverbulletCustomEmblems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richeray View Post
    I saw in another thread a link to tirerack.com - they recommend a 15" wheel for snow tires on a Veloster. Has anyone tried these?
    Yes, 15's on a standard V, but the Turbo needs 16's or up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArlanaRae View Post
    I wasn't aware I needed a smaller wheel to get the full effect of snow tires. Is it crucial or is it just safer with 16's?

I wasn't saying you have to go with a smaller rim, just saying if you were, 16 is the smallest you can go on the VT. You can put snows on the stock17/18 if you really want to, just most people switch the summer wheels out for winter use.

My NAV MT, Altimax 205/60/15 on steelies on all four corners Tire Rack mounted, balanced, new lug nuts delivered to my door step . 100 mile a day commute demands I run the snows for the winters here in northeast.The V handles well in the snow with this set-up for me.
    I would not recommend the stock tires for winter driving.
    Ray T

Like bhughes24 metioned, I bought my X-Ice2's on clearance from Tirerack last year. Put them on 17" Sparco Rims (the red ones you see in my avatar).

And to backup up what Bdiggy said, I have also read in these forums that 16" is the smallest you can go on the VT due to brake clearance issues.
    "If there is a god, then why did he make me an athiest?" - Ricky Gervais

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRotch View Post
    Like bhughes24 metioned, I bought my X-Ice2's on clearance from Tirerack last year. Put them on 17" Sparco Rims (the red ones you see in my avatar).

And to backup up what Bdiggy said, I have also read in these forums that 16" is the smallest you can go on the VT due to brake clearance issues.
    This IS TRUE! I bought 15" rims & the Michelin X-Ice2's for my NAV & when I traded it in for my VT I thought I was ahead of the game already having my winter setup. NOT!!!!

I had to sell the 15's for another setup in 16" due to the front caliper being larger than the NAV. I once again got the Michelin's.....

Attachment 24961
    '13 VT Ultimate-MT in Ironman Silver w/ Black Accents & MSR 095 Black Pearl 18x8" Wheels
    SFR Custom Tune (+40whp & 39Ft-lbs torque gains)
    INJEN SRI, SOLO HF Cat, QR-300S Resonator & 3" Cat-Back Exhaust
    JL Audio XD-700/5 Channel Amplifier
    Focal 'Integrated' ISS-165 6-1/2" [Front]
    Focal CA-165 6-1/2" coaxial drivers, [Rears]
    JL Audio 10" W1 Subwoofer in 'AE' ported enclosure
    Pierce Motorsports Torsion Bar, VT-ONE Strut Bar, Tiebar Brace
    Sales@SilverbulletCustomEmblems.com

17. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements