NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Blind spots / Rearview mirror visibility

Blind spots / Rearview mirror visibility

Hi guys,

Can the folks out there who've driven the Veloster at length comment on [potential] issues regarding the blind spots and rearview mirror? From previous threads, I'm aware that some people have had trouble with the blindspots, but others have solved it by positioning their sideview mirrors more effectively. Also, how do the back pillars affect the driver's view of the surroundings?

I'm also aware that the rearview window is much narrower than the average sedan, and was concerned about whether that might have an adverse effect on the driving experience.

I am not the most experienced driver and have never driven a hatchback, so I was just concerned that I might have difficulty dealing with the blindspots & limited rearview that normal sedans don't have (as much, or so I hear).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

No question, the blindspot views are limited with this car. It's not bad over your left shoulder, but to the right, even with the rear door, it's not easy to check the blind area.

You will need to learn to depend on your side view mirrors more than usual. Fortunately the mirrors on the V are large enough to help. Tilt the mirrors outward, so that you don't see the sides of the car, but not so far that you can't see the sides by moving your head slightly forward. Moving the mirrors outward gives you a better view of adjoining lanes.

You can also get a small spot mirror to stick on the upper outside edge of each sideview mirror. The spot gives you a fish eye view that also helps.

Don't give up the head check method of checking blindspots, rather use it in conjunction with a more concentrated approach to using the side mirrors to help compensate for the limited view.

The view to the rear is not what most of us are accustomed to, but isn't bad once you get used to it.

Personally, I am comfortable with the Veloster views, adapting my observation techniques to depend more on the mirrors makes it easy for me. Your results may vary.

I have nothing extra to add except to say that SkyriderAR is correct in everything he said. He has had his Veloster longer than most of us on the forum so he has had plenty of time to adopt the techniques he has outlined. I have been driving mine only since this past Monday and I say ditto to everything he says.
    Last edited by MeanUncleBuck; 10-06-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanUncleBuck View Post
    I have nothing extra to add except to say that SkyriderAR is correct in everything he said. He has had his Veloster longer than most of us on the forum so he has had plenty of time to adopt the techniques he has outlined. I have been driving mine only since this past Monday and I sat ditto to everything he says.
    What a nice guy...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyriderAR View Post
    You will need to learn to depend on your side view mirrors more than usual. Fortunately the mirrors on the V are large enough to help. Tilt the mirrors outward, so that you don't see the sides of the car, but not so far that you can't see the sides by moving your head slightly forward. Moving the mirrors outward gives you a better view of adjoining lanes.
    I agree with what you say. The one thing I find with the Veloster is that it doesn't tilt out far enough for me - especially the passenger side mirror. Nothing major but the range seems to be much better in my other vehicles. Anyone else with similar observation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sangone View Post
    I agree with what you say. The one thing I find with the Veloster is that it doesn't tilt out far enough for me - especially the passenger side mirror. Nothing major but the range seems to be much better in my other vehicles. Anyone else with similar observation?

Shoot, I've only driven one for a couple hours and I'll agree with EVERYTHING said above. I already used my side mirrors a lot, but now I'd say it's 85/15 mirrors/headcheck. Sadly the way the car's built allows a small gap out the back right side between the two head rests... and the passenger mirror won't go out quite enough for me. The left side is easy though!

In a car like this it is all about using the mirrors, and if you are not used to relying on them there will be an adjustment phase.

The point about adjusting them so the view is way out is correct, and in fact for me, I push my view out so far on my rides I for the most part can't see the side of the vehicle.

The little 2" convex mirror on the driver's mirror is also a must for me.

Will this car be like a sedan? No way. But, good mirror adjustment and familiarity will give you more than enough of a view if you are an aware driver. For me, I never turn my head anymore, I rely on my mirrors 100%, and that comes from lots of track experience, at 130 turning your head to check your view is simply not the smart thing to do...
    3H2H1 = THREE HONDAS TO HYUNDAI ONE = 이것이 제 첫번째 현대 될 것이다

A PICTURE BELONGS HERE, PLEASE LET ME HAVE THAT, PLEASE...

Quote Originally Posted by 3H2H1 View Post
    In a car like this it is all about using the mirrors, and if you are not used to relying on them there will be an adjustment phase.

The point about adjusting them so the view is way out is correct, and in fact for me, I push my view out so far on my rides I for the most part can't see the side of the vehicle.

The little 2" convex mirror on the driver's mirror is also a must for me.

Will this car be like a sedan? No way. But, good mirror adjustment and familiarity will give you more than enough of a view if you are an aware driver. For me, I never turn my head anymore, I rely on my mirrors 100%, and that comes from lots of track experience, at 130 turning your head to check your view is simply not the smart thing to do...
    Add to that driving having a very good sense of your surroundings helps. Constant scanning front, side, and back...

Room mirror makes the car look wider
    Left side mirror makes the car look taller

Rear view has good clearance except for the spoiler section cover in the middle.

Must buy convex mirror tomorrow ~

Doesn't anybody lean forward while looking in the side mirrors anymore? Quick and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyriderAR View Post
    No question, the blindspot views are limited with this car. It's not bad over your left shoulder, but to the right, even with the rear door, it's not easy to check the blind area.

You can also get a small spot mirror to stick on the upper outside edge of each sideview mirror. The spot gives you a fish eye view that also helps.

Don't give up the head check method of checking blindspots, rather use it in conjunction with a more concentrated approach to using the side mirrors to help compensate for the limited view.

The view to the rear is not what most of us are accustomed to, but isn't bad once you get used to it.

Personally, I am comfortable with the Veloster views, adapting my observation techniques to depend more on the mirrors makes it easy for me. Your results may vary.

Thanks guys, for all your responses! Skyrider, your answer was especially helpful, thanks. My concerns have been offset much more, and I'm now that much more confident in going with the Veloster. I'll be going in for a test drive this weekend!

Do you guys have any recommendations for specific brands/models for the small spot mirrors you attach to your side mirrors? I've never had to use one before so I'd like to know if there are any in particular that are easier to apply / more effective / longer-lasting.

i have blindspot mirrors that i have transferred three times. haha

they are square ones that go on the INSIDE bottom portion of the mirror. They are the best ones i have used hands down.

once a car goes out of view from my side mirror its then in view of that mirror...works great...just check the mirrors and move. No over the shoulder check necessary. Although they have made me lazy when driving cars that dont have them.
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!

Hmm.. Seems like Blind spot mirrors would be nice.
    Electrolyte Green Veloster DCT w/Style. AKA Fiona

"
    We have, I fear, confused power with greatness" ~Stewart Udall

Brotip # 1312: Age isn't always a measure of wisdom. Sometimes a younger bro knows more than an older one.

they are...especially if you like to "move" through traffic. haha

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sangone View Post
    Add to that driving having a very good sense of your surroundings helps. Constant scanning front, side, and back...
    Exactly, I was replying on my Droid and was keeping they typing short

The situational awareness may be the biggest key to not having issues with blind spots. As a motorcyclist I consider myself more aware of what's going on around me than most drivers, because on the bike that kind of thing relates to a longer life.
    3H2H1 = THREE HONDAS TO HYUNDAI ONE = 이것이 제 첫번째 현대 될 것이다

A PICTURE BELONGS HERE, PLEASE LET ME HAVE THAT, PLEASE...

I will admit, a lot of my blind spot awareness comes from 55 years of riding motorcycles. If you want to survive on a bike, you need to learn all the tricks.

@only1db: Where do I get the square mirrors?

Quote Originally Posted by only1db View Post
    they are...especially if you like to "move" through traffic. haha

You hit it right in the head.

Simple Fix. Go to walmart or any auto parts store. They make these little round 1inch convex mirrors that you can rotate to the right angle. Stick them on the upper outer surface of your mirror. The blind spots are no more. They only cost like 5 or 6 bucks. If you ever get tired of them just peel them off, wipe the leftover adhesive with goo gone and they are gone. Best 5 bucks you ever spend. They look OEM if you did not know better. I have them on my last three cars and have them on my truck and my veloster now.

skyrider...my dad bought them for his 90 excel when it was new! i have no idea where he got them from....but i think it was Kmart. I'll have to take a pic of them...its a flat mirror. I cant stand those convex ones.

QFTMFT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by only1db View Post
    skyrider...my dad bought them for his 90 excel when it was new! i have no idea where he got them from....but i think it was Kmart. I'll have to take a pic of them...its a flat mirror. I cant stand those convex ones.
    I guess I 'll have to go looking. No sense trying to trace down a 20 year old product. Thanks for the response.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements