Veloster Forum banner

Canadians -- Real World L/100km

5K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  takashi11 
#1 ·
I know we have a real world miles per gallon sticky, but I don't want to confuse things in there with metric conversions.

I've only put 200km on the car so far but it shows me as averaging 9.5L/100km

This would be almost exclusive stop and go city driving (downtown Toronto), average speed 40 - 60 km/h

I was doing abit better last night on the traffic free 401 (highway) with around 8.5L/100KM

Hoping to see fuel efficiency improve as the engine gets broken in. I should also mention that this is with Eco Mode set to OFF.

#6 ·
Like braelin said, the engine is just breaking in. Remember when auto companies give their mileage numbers, it's based on a engines that are fully broken in.

Give it time and it will get better. ****, the seals won't settle in for another couple hundred kms.

#3 ·
Never take the in car mileage seriously.

Everytime you fill up, jot down the amount of fuel, and write down the mileage and then calculate it yourself.

There are alot of smartphone apps for this, be it for iOS, Android, Windows, etc.

Driving alot downtown eh, maybe I'll see you. I drive downtown too, if you see a yellow & green Chevy Volt, give me a honk and I'll tweet(yes the car doesn't honk, it tweets lol) you back :p

Also, the first few thousand kms will use a lot more gas then usual from what I hear, I've never owned a new car so I can't comment on it yet.

#7 ·
I'm going to watch the fuel economy over the next couple weeks as well and will report back if I notice improvements.

Despite what the fuel economy computer says, I also noticed that driving about 100 km I've used one stick from the fuel gauge (when I filled up yesterday computer said my range was 575 km .... I'm now at 475 km left).

I'm not really sure how the computer is calculating mileage and range as the fuel tank shows almost full (only one stick gone).

#13 ·
With all this talk of rebates from Hyundai I decided to check my mileage today on a trip from Moncton NB to Truro NS. A 180.9 km trip. I detoured into Sackville NB and Amherst NS shutting the engine down and restarting 6 times so it wasn't all highway driving. The V is n/a with a m/t. It has 35000km on the odo. I use Shell V-Tec and Mobile 1 5w20. Installed is a Magnaflow Cat Back and I'm currently rolling on Good Year WRT Ice Radials (winter tires) 16". And the outside temp was +2 to -1 C and the road was dry and clear with light to no wind. I averaged 65km/h on the trip and the actual fuel consumption ended up being...4.9l/100km! I was surprised! :) I'm still not turning the money down though;)

#14 ·
To give you an idea of my fuel consumption after one year.
ps : Data is from my Fuelly.com page

I've had the car since Friday October 7th 2011

Average Fuel Economy : 7.5L / 100 km ( 31.4 miles per US gallon or 37.7 miles per Imperial gallon )

Total mileage : 19 200 km ( 11 930 miles )

Number of fill-ups : 40

Average Price / Fuel-Up : 46.16$ cdn

Average Price / Liter : 1.32$ cdn ( 5.00$ / US Gallon )

Total Fuel Price : 1384.91$ cdn

City vs Highway Driving : 58 % City vs 42 % Highway

#15 ·
Its possible, 9.5L/100km is not really uncommon for city driving especially in Downtown Toronto. I do 50/50 city highway and average around 5.9-6L/100KM which is like 38-39MPG. Not bad but after spending one day driving downtown, i was looking at in the 8-8.5L/100Km. Downtown driving is just horrible and gets on my nerve. I literally walk faster than driving in downtown.

I have DCT but doing my shifting about 99% of the time. ECO off and Traction Control Off. I try to shift at 2K RPM, makes a hell of a difference in your MPG and power but since im shifting on my own, i have control as to when i want to run harder. That said, driving habits will need to be changed, meaning no cruising at 120km on highway.

#17 ·
Mine is typically in the mid 7's range. Never been in the 8's and a few highway trips have been in the 6's. I try to reset my fuel economy estimator after every gas up. It's not the most accurate thing anyway. Showing 99 down to 2 sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.