NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Value: Kia Rio vs Veloster

Better Value: Kia Rio vs Veloster

Based on what we've seen so far from the Forte and Optima, Kia's seem to handle a little more sportier than Hyundais. With that in mind, the newly released details for the upcoming Rio5 make it seem that it will perform awfully close to the Veloster.

2012 Kia Rio priced from $13,600*

The SX model, which includes a sportier suspension and larger brakes will retail around $18k (USD). I can't wait to see how it compares to a base manual Veloster!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Ya but that car looks boooooring.

And on top of the fact it is boring, it doesn't have half the tech features of the Veloster and after the asthetics of the Veloster, the tech is what we love next.

Oh, I didn't even look at the tech on it before making that comment. I just assumed it was similar since it was being compared to the Veloster. Cool gadgets and MPG are the most important to me... the extra style was a bonus and the reason I waited for the Veloster instead of getting the Elantra.

I checked a Rio5 out at the OC auto show this weekend...it looks good from the outside but the interior is....how to put this nicely....crap.

Hyundai > Kia .. although they're practically the same. Hyundai is the momma :P
    Electrolyte Green Veloster DCT w/Style. AKA Fiona

"
    We have, I fear, confused power with greatness" ~Stewart Udall

Brotip # 1312: Age isn't always a measure of wisdom. Sometimes a younger bro knows more than an older one.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
    Hyundai > Kia .. although they're practically the same. Hyundai is the momma :P
    also, kia is still lagging behind hyundai in reliability ratings.

ive got to put that new rio interior at the bottom compared to fiesta, accent, and even the sonic. it is about as plain and vanilla as you can get.

I believe the Rio5 shares the chassis with the Hyundai Accent. The Veloster is on the Elantra chassis. The Rio5, Accent, and Veloster all share the same engine however. I have the Accent hatchback and believe this is the car that is a better comparison to the Rio5 than the Veloster.

Although the Rio5 will offer options that the Accent lacks - navigation, sunroof, and auto climate control (if I read it correctly), it comes extremely short of the Veloster. I also believe the driving dynamics of the Veloster will be different to the Rio5.

the veloster is also wider, better (stiffer) chassis, and the interior is WOW incomparison.

its your choice, but i dont see how you could even cross shop them, they are totally different vehicles.
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!

I included the Kia Rio in my 18 car cross shopping excursion of death. The Rio was a decent car, well-priced, and drove ok. The steering was pretty inferior to the Veloster.

Otherwise, as the others have said, the options on the cars make the Veloster much nicer overall; hence the $4,000 price difference.

Quote Originally Posted by smallfun View Post
    The SX model, which includes a sportier suspension and larger brakes will retail around $18k (USD). I can't wait to see how it compares to a base manual Veloster!

I assume they have pictures of the US-version SX. Has LED lights and projectors (probably halogens). Interior is nice, it's just that the Veloster interior is an over-performer.

Of course, these are pictures. In person, it may be comparable to the V, interior and exterior - who knows how nice the materials are, etc. I saw a red Accent hatchback, it is a really sharp looking car, and the red is eye-catching. The problem with the Accent is they don't offer any goodies at all with it. On a very vague scale in my mind, Accent < Rio5 < Veloster. A turbo would put it in another class.

Hegg, glad I'm not the only one who considered and researched MANY models on this car search!

I found the Rio to be a true econo-box. The interior is sparse and very tight, and the exterior is closer to the likes of a Yaris. It's a sub-compact. Veloster is a compact.

The Forte 5-dr, on the other hand, I was considering against Veloster. That car is a very good value and actually more comparable in interior space. But I found it extremely booooring to look at.

Veloster got me in heart- something about it's combination of striking unique syling, gas mileage, practicality, size, gadgets and pricepoint. It's the whole package.

When we went to the auto show this spring, I kept going back to look at the Veloster- visit Ford, go back to Veloster, visit Honda, go back to Veloster, etc., all day and night! It was hilarious. It was quite clear where my heart was.

I think most of us here can say that it's a GUT feeling that's key reason we ultimately have fallen for this quirky vehicle. It's not all about the value.
    2012 Red w/ Red/black DCT Tech+Style : "Velosteraptor" since Nov 15, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Velosteraptor View Post
    I think most of us here can say that it's a GUT feeling that's key reason we ultimately have fallen for this quirky vehicle. It's not all about the value.
    I think Velosteraptor hits the nail on the head with the majority of us that post on this forum and either have already purchased or are waiting to purchase a Veloster. Nicely summed up.

Hegg, glad I'm not the only one who considered and researched MANY models on this car search!

I found the Rio to be a true econo-box. The interior is sparse and very tight, and the exterior is closer to the likes of a Yaris. It's a sub-compact. Veloster is a compact.

The Forte 5-dr, on the other hand, I was considering against Veloster. That car is a very good value and actually more comparable in interior space. But I found it extremely booooring to look at.

Veloster got me in heart- something about it's combination of striking unique syling, gas mileage, practicality, size, gadgets and pricepoint. It's the whole package.

When we went to the auto show this spring, I kept going back to look at the Veloster- visit Ford, go back to Veloster, visit Honda, go back to Veloster, etc., all day and night! It was hilarious. It was quite clear where my heart was.

the autoshow early in the year is the first time i had ever heard of or seen the Veloster. i too kept going back to it and it was immediately at the top of my very short list of cars. needless to say i was hooked and am expecting to take delivery within 2-3 weeks

i gotta say though, when i saw it it was on a spinning platform and with everything they said was gonna be in it and with it's styling i thought it was still a concept that was pretty far off. when they said it would be on sale later in the year i was very skeptical that they could deliver and immediately thought it was too good to be true. really happy they could make it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Hegg View Post
    I included the Kia Rio in my 18 car cross shopping excursion of death. The Rio was a decent car, well-priced, and drove ok. The steering was pretty inferior to the Veloster.

Otherwise, as the others have said, the options on the cars make the Veloster much nicer overall; hence the $4,000 price difference.
    Which Rio? The 2012 Rio? Where did you drive it, and what spec?

Quote Originally Posted by MeanUncleBuck View Post
    it doesn't have half the tech features of the Veloster and after the asthetics of the Veloster, the tech is what we love next.
    Maybe that's what you "love next". But as the op suggested, a base Veloster vs. an SX would be an interesting value comparison.

And about the Rio's interior- Curiously, those whose business it is to nitpick(auto journalists) have heaped universal praise on the Kia's Cabin, while the YT set are quick to dismiss it as "cheap", even though most have yet to see it in person.

I sat in the 2012 at the NYIAS. (Don't know the config though). The interior was cramped and cheesy- you know with tacked-on armrests rather than moulded into the door panel, manual windows and mirrors...

I sat in the 2012 at the NYIAS. (Don't know the config though). The interior was cramped and cheesy- you know with tacked-on armrests rather than moulded into the door panel, manual windows and mirrors...
    "Manual windows and mirrors"? First, you were in the base trim, which prices about 4000 below the Veloster. Hence this whole "value" discussion. For a 4000 dollar premium over a loaded Veloster one could move into an Optima SX. See my point? Second, the pricier Rio's move decidedly up-market in terms of their interior accoutrements and feel. Finally, the ONLY times I've read where some found the Rio's interior to be "cheesy", was in cases where the author was resolutely committed to some other make and model, and especially one that was in "direct" competition with the vehicle being discussed. Again, professional reviewers who make a living at elevating persnicketiness to an art form, have all liked the new Rio's interior. Veloster devotees? Not so much. Speaking of cheese- this all reeks of fanboism.

OK, comparing apples to apples then- base model to base model-

The base Veloster interior is much, much nicer than the Rio's, plus it's larger and not even in the same market as the Rio.

So I simply don't see a comparison between the two.

But that's just my humble opinion. I don't claim to be an expert.

Do you work for Kia or something, SAR3505? This is a Veloster forum, so we ARE Veloster fanboys (and girls) here. You can't crucify me for that. If I was a fan of a Rio, I wouldn't be checking into this forum.

OK, comparing apples to apples then- base model to base model-

The base Veloster interior is much, much nicer than the Rio's, plus it's larger and not even in the same market as the Rio.

So I simply don't see a comparison between the two.

But that's just my humble opinion. I don't claim to be an expert.

Do you work for Kia or something, SAR3505? This is a Veloster forum, so we ARE Veloster fanboys (and girls) here. You can't crucify me for that. If I was a fan of a Rio, I wouldn't be checking into this forum.
    How is that "apples to apples" when there is a $4000 price difference? I thought we just went over this in the last post. A "value" comparison is a function of price and equipment, not semantics(base vs. base).

You don't see a comparison of the two? Ok, but many others have. Hence this thread.

No. Do you work for Hyundai or something?

I'm a fan of the Rio, but I still check into this and other forums. No conflict for me. I'm a fan of the Veloster too.

Of course you're fully entitled to your opinions, as am I. I was simply pointing out the curious divergence of opinion between the pros and enthusiast types regarding the new Rio.

I define a "fanboy" as one motivated by an incorrigible irrationalism. Love for their own, and hate for everyone else. Are you a "fanboy"?

Fight, fight.

Seems like he had rational reasons to like one over the other! =]

In all fanboyism... the Veloster is fantastic. I finally sat in one. It was everything I hoped for and more. Nice job, Hyundai.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements