Veloster Forum banner

Utah Dealers Have Velosters!

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Hegg 
#1 ·
I just got back from a quick test drive at my primary dealer in Salt Lake City. They have a Blue automatic base model and a Red loaded manual. I could take the manual for a drive because it had the PDI already done, but the automatic I had to just drive around the parking lot.

Some of you already know that I'm cross-shopping lots of cars. The Veloster is the 18th car (and final) that I have test driven to replace my Lotus. I am looking for:
- a good commuter car (50 mile commute)
- seats 4 (I have a 4-year-old)
- comfortable and well-optioned
- good fuel economy
- reliable and good warranty
- useful and practical
- automatic (so my wife can drive)
- not boring to drive and look at

The Veloster fits all of my categories, which is why I've waited until I can drive one before making a decision. After my quick test drive, I think this will be a good car choice for me. It does indeed tick all the boxes for me.

I sat in the back seat behind myself and would be comfortable back there for an hour or so. I wouldn't want to be there as an adult for a really long drive, but it will be great for my kid. The front is plenty roomy and very comfortable. The controls and ergonomics are great.

I don't need a fast car - been there, done that - and the Veloster isn't fast. It's adequate for commuting, driving around town, and getting on the freeway, but it's not going to drag race anything and be respectable. The handling felt very good for the class of car and it certainly beat out most of the other cars I drove. Brakes are very good as well. The options, features, and comfort are all top-notch for the class of car.

The pictures of the blue made me not want to consider it so much - it looked too "loud" for a blue. However, in person it looks good. It's a very medium/neutral blue - not too dark, not too bright. I think it's now my color of choice. Although I wouldn't get a red car, the red does look good as well.

One of the daunting questions I had was getting into the back seat behind the driver. It's not *too* bad to climb over the rear center cup holders, but it is obnoxious. Fortunately - and this is what I wanted to know - the driver's seat does have a switch to flip forward just like any other 2-door car so that you can get into the back seat.

I'm 6'0" and had plenty of headroom with the sunroof. I did put the seat all the way down. All the way up I did still fit, but it was to the point of being slightly claustrophobic. I like sitting low anyway, so it's fine with me. Rear visibility was adequate, but does take getting used to.

Overall, I really like the car. I'm going to bring my family in tonight to get final approval and I will probably go for it (once my Evora is sold). My dealership, Ken Garff Hyundai, has an advertised price of $1,000 below MSRP (yes, below). I've read about all the others of you that are being told $2k above MSRP, so I thought I'd let you know that there do seem to be reasonable dealers out there, like mine. The saleswoman I've been working with is rediculously unknowledgeable about the Veloster (as they all seem to be), but she does admit it.

Some pics to prove it!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the photos! I really like the red/black interior, but I didn't know if I'd like the white, red, or black exterior. Someone on this forum said the red on red was overwhelming, but I really like it after seeing your photos.

Also great to see a dealership advertising a price below MSRP.

#3 ·
The red interior was not overwhelming at all, in my opinion. It did look very nice and well balanced. However, I do wish they had other options. I still am considering a custom cream leather interior. I've had too many black leather cars and they're just too **** hot in the summer. Now that I've gone cream, I can't go back!

#4 ·
When you go back, could you open a door of the red and get an interior shot to show the contrast between exterior color and interior. I have the Boston Red with Red/Black interior on my want list but wonder if the red interior clashes with the Boston Red exterior.

Were they shocked that a Lotus owner was shopping Hyundai?

#5 ·
Took the fam to the dealership tonight to see what they think. Everyone approves! They didn't have the red one anymore (the manager decided to drive it home and show it off to the neighbors), so we drove the blue automatic. We really liked it overall, and the blue doesn't have any options except the DCT.

The DCT is excellent. I really like the way it drives and how smooth and quick it shifts. This will be a great commuter.

They have one coming in with the options and color I want, so I exercised my deposit and put a hold on it. Should be here by the end of the month. Hopefully that's enough time to relieve myself of my Evora, sad as that will be.

We took the Matrix tonight. I wanted to park side-by-side to give a comparison of the two car sizes. Here are the pics - not the best, but I hope it helps anyone trying to grasp the size of the car.

#7 ·
Yeah, that is the dealer. When I looked, the car I want has MSRP listed on their site as $23,685 (DCT, Style, Tech, plus all 5 accessories). When I go to hyundaiusa.com and build the car I want, it's also exactly $23,685. The dealer is offering it for $22,685 (if you finance with Hyundai).

I don't think they're doing any markup. The few cars I priced are exactly the MSRP that Hyundai has on their site, plus they're taking a theoretical $1,000 off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.